Sponsored

Knock in rear with Dana 44

Boothorp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
No, not rotational clunking. But definitely a clunk when accelerating from a dead stop and also when hitting bumps in the road.
This is a rotational soft clunk. I checked my sway bar links and all components look great. I think it’s the rear drive shaft or something associated with it.
Sponsored

ebelp

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (bright white)
Vehicle Showcase
This is a rotational soft clunk. I checked my sway bar links and all components look great. I think it’s the rear drive shaft or something associated with it.
Gotcha. Just not seeing how this could be related to the lift kit since the drive shaft isn't touched during that install.

JMONEZ

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
Gotcha. Just not seeing how this could be related to the lift kit since the drive shaft isn't touched during that install.
You're right, I agree. I don’t believe it’s related to lift at all, but seems to be a concern that’s becoming much more common. I think it’s likely axle or driveline issue myself. Mine will be dropped off on monday to replace rear diff ring and pinion that was ordered and we’ll see what happens

Bingy

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
As others have posted, please check your drive-line and your gas tank skid plate. As the right rear shock compresses, and the left rear shock extends, the rear track bar arch pulls the axle to the right. You may see some scrape marks there where the drive-line hits the skid. This may happen on some lifted JL's. The easy free cost option to check this is to stuff the right rear tire on a rock or other means and check the clearance.

Here is a short video. Hopefully this is the issue and you can simply move the gas tank over a smidge towards the frame to allow clearance.

JMONEZ

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
As others have posted, please check your drive-line and your gas tank skid plate. As the right rear shock compresses, and the left rear shock extends, the rear track bar arch pulls the axle to the right. You may see some scrape marks there where the drive-line hits the skid. This may happen on some lifted JL's. The easy free cost option to check this is to stuff the right rear tire on a rock or other means and check the clearance.

Here is a short video. Hopefully this is the issue and you can simply move the gas tank over a smidge towards the frame to allow clearance.

Shouldn’t that only occur when articulated? Mine does it on road, flat ground always same speed and gears when not accelerating and slowing down

Sponsored

Bingy

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes only when flexing. Seems you have another issue. Sorry. Check it though just to be certain...

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
I have the clunking as well, even before I put on a lift. The sound is very pronounced in low gears and happens with quick throttle input. I got under the Jeep and when I rotate the driveshaft back and forth, I can hear the clunking in the rear axle and in the transfer case. Is this normal? I assume there has to be some tolerance built in to these things.

South4lorida

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
I have the clunking as well, even before I put on a lift. The sound is very pronounced in low gears and happens with quick throttle input. I got under the Jeep and when I rotate the driveshaft back and forth, I can hear the clunking in the rear axle and in the transfer case. Is this normal? I assume there has to be some tolerance built in to these things.

I also have a knock in the rear after putting a 35” tire and 17” wheel on, but no lift. It only happens at low speeds after letting off the gas and appears to be coming from the axle. Tires/rims were rotated, checked for damage, and rebalanced to try to narrow down whether it was a tire issue. I even had them replace the two rear tires and the knocking is still there. Checked every nut/bolt in the back and everything seems ok.

Bingy

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is another possibility. I was hearing a metal clunk sound when I was reversing down the driveway. I decided to push the Jeep back and forth at the rear wheel well and heard it also. Turns out it was the OEM rear track bar. I switched it out with a Rock Krawler adjustable rear track bar and the clunk went away. No more play...

Maybe this could be a possibility or are you hearing it inside the gear box?

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
Here is another possibility. I was hearing a metal clunk sound when I was reversing down the driveway. I decided to push the Jeep back and forth at the rear wheel well and heard it also. Turns out it was the OEM rear track bar. I switched it out with a Rock Krawler adjustable rear track bar and the clunk went away. No more play...

Maybe this could be a possibility or are you hearing it inside the gear box?
I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the heads up!

Sponsored

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Let me know what you find out.
It is definitely not the track bar. It's in the pumpkin of the rear axle and the transfer case. I'll try to upload a video and those you are more knowledgeable can chime in as to whether it is normal or not.

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is the clunking sound from under the jeep. The first part is at the transfer case.

Is this normal? Please chime in with your thoughts. Thank you!

JMONEZ

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
Well just got off the phone with my service advisor in relation to the rotational clunking noise I’ve been having for some time. A few weeks ago a new rear ring and pinion were ordered, but upon tear down they found actual failure to be the carrier bearings spun and damaged races. New rear diff assembly is now on order.

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
Seems normal to me. Do you hear that same sound when driving it?
Sponsored