Sponsored

Kick Down In Automatic Trans (is this a feature)

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Noticed yesterday that I could be riding along in any gear, and if I quickly tap and let off the gas pedal, the Jeep will instantly downshift into a pretty low gear. I know they have this on the Mini Cooper Automatics, but didn't see any mention of that on the JL. In the Minis its specifically called kickdown.
Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
I think I did that yesterday accidentally while playing in the snow. Was this intentional on the Minis and why would you want to do that? Tap then stomp the gas?

OP
OP

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I think I did that yesterday accidentally while playing in the snow. Was this intentional on the Minis and why would you want to do that? Tap then stomp the gas?
Well in an automatic Mini it this was considered as a way of getting your vehicle to behave like a manual shift without having to switch over to tiptronic. Example your going around an unexpected curve, and you want to have a little fun there (motoring it what we called it), you could get your automatic Mini to downshift in a flash, without having to worry about switching to manual mode and thus loosing time. It was actually outlined in the owners manual.... go figure

Last edited:

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I discovered that very feature just yesterday, when I had to abort a lane change. I had pressed the accelerator just enough, and just briefly enough, that the computer interpreted the signal as a request to activate the so-called kickdown feature. For a second, everything went up: engine sound, engine speed, tachometer needle, my blood pressure.

Now I know. :)

OP
OP

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I discovered that very feature just yesterday, when I had to abort a lane change. I had pressed the accelerator just enough, and just briefly enough, that the computer interpreted the signal as a request to activate the so-called kickdown feature. For a second, everything went up: engine sound, engine speed, tachometer needle, my blood pressure.

Now I know. :)
Yeah it's a cool feature if it was intended....

Sponsored

Ehmsea

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 13 Camaro SS, 04 Pontiac GP
Occupation
RF Engineer
This is how all automatics used to work. As soon as you step on the gas, the transmission would downshift to put you in the powerband of the engine. One of the reasons that I love my wrangler. I drove a Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with the 6 speed auto (I think) for work, and you couldn't get that damn thing to downshift to save your life. You could count to "two" after flooring it at say 45 mph before it would downshift. They intentionally delay the shift to try to hit higher mpg...

Another thing I love is that when you take your foot off the gas, the vehicle slows down instead of coasting. Yes, aerodynamics is a major factor here; however, you can feel the engine slowing the wrangler down. Most other modern SUVs/cars will immediately "coast".

Oh, also under light braking, you can feel the transmission downshift to help brake...

Sorry, I didn't mean to turn this into another "Why I love my Wrangler" thread...
:jk::flag:😍

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
This is how all automatics used to work. As soon as you step on the gas, the transmission would downshift to put you in the powerband of the engine.
They still do. I think the point of this thread is that the scope, and perceived effect, of prompt downshifts in a modern electronic 8 speed automatic transmission is considerably different from that experienced in the older 4 & 5 speed analog slushboxes.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Well in an automatic Mini it this was considered as a way of getting your vehicle to behave like a manual shift without having to switch over to tiptronic. Example your going around an unexpected curve, and you want to have a little fun there (motoring it what we called it), you could get your automatic Mini to downshift in a flash, without having to worry about switching to manual mode and thus loosing time. It was actually outlined in the owners manual.... go figure
Very cool - Did not know that.
Now I’m also curious if it is intended or... not so much

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Been driving since 1964, never had an automatic that DIDNT have a kickdown.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I've been using it on downhills. But it will upshift after a few seconds unless you brake moderately.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I've been using it on downhills. But it will upshift after a few seconds unless you brake moderately.
I have the 2.0, 38x13.5's, and factory 4.10's, and mine does the same. If it's flat, or especially on even the slightest incline, the engine breaking alone will bring it down at a nice rate. Add a jab of throttle to kick it down, and it helps drag it down quicker.

And speaking of shifting, another great thing about the 8-speed is it can skip a couple of gears when downshifting. Not having to step down gear by gear is nice because it helps the jeep snap up to speed quicker.
Sponsored