Transmission kick-down --- Geez!!

Archie PJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Punk"n
I read a newer thread about turbo lag and (proving the mind wanders a bit) it brought to mind the extreme downshifts when you step on it to accelerate into traffic. Now, granted, maybe it's just me not having learned gas pedal control with only 2000 miles under my belt, but I find it a bit crazy when I want to accelerate quickly into traffic from say 30-40 mph and the tranny seemingly downshifts to gear 1 (that could be an exaggeration as I am thrust back into the seat and too startled to look) and revs hit 13,000rpm (ok, another exaggeration)!!! Anyway, I have to believe that some of you have experienced this, as well.

I have pretty much always had great pedal control, including manual transmissions. But this..... So I guess the question is: is this something that you learn to finesse and better control as the miles roll on, or just learn to expect it? Cheers, y'all.
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
x2! Very rarely is it in the wrong rpm range for the mission at hand, and those shifts are so quick and seamless :)

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
This 8-speed works like a charm! With the V6, that is.

I’ve seen posts that suggest the 8-speed doesn’t work nearly as smoothly with the 2.0T or the EcoDiesel.

It may be a simple issue of the automatic calibration, though.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
This 8-speed works like a charm! With the V6, that is.

I’ve seen posts that suggest the 8-speed doesn’t work nearly as smoothly with the 2.0T or the EcoDiesel.

It may be a simple issue of the automatic calibration, though.
Sorry, should have clarified, mine is the Pentastar V6, can't speak for the Turbo or Diesel.

Jelllo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
The V6 has it's powerband at higher RPM's so when you ask it for power, that's what you get. My only gripe is when using ACC and someone exits in front of you, the Jeep takes off like a rabbit.

Reactions: Ick

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, should have clarified, mine is the Pentastar V6, can't speak for the Turbo or Diesel.
That’s precisely my point.

I have the V6 as well: the automatic and engine work together beautifully; like a couple of professional dancers.

Total opposite from my 2019 Toyota Tacoma...ugh!

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I went into the dealer planning to buy a manual. All of my Jeeps had been manual transmissions and I've never liked the automatics I've had in other vehicles. After a test drive though I was convinced that the auto was the better option, it's always in the right gear it's shifts quickly enough, and truly it has made life easier. I still miss how a manual is more engaging from time to time, but truly I have never regretting going with the auto in the Jeep.
Indeed. This automatic is hard to fault. It is as if it can read my mind what I want to do next.

When I am on the trail, the extra-low 1st gear keeps hold of my Sahara in 4L as if it had a crawl ratio transfer case!

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Delay in throtle response plus turbo leg lead you to press gas pedal too far at times

Also, 2.0 cannot operate at as low of rpms as v6 to accelerate. Needs minimum 2.5k rpms to spool turbo and have adequate acceleration, so jeep might downshift at times more then v6.

Turbo engines are only efficient if you don't drive them in boost (cruising steady speed or very light acceleration in Jeeps case) otherwise you need to run it at 3k rpms to get going at enjoyable rate if acceleration.

Maybe get throttle controller if you cant learn how to deal with delayed throtle response.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
It actually can appear obnoxious with a muffler delete.

I had a guy make a right turn in front of me on the main highway. As he completed his turn I leaned into the throttle to get back to highway speed and he flipped me off 'cause it sounded as though I was trying to make a statement - in reality I was simply accelerating as dictated by conditions

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
The 2.0t seems to have two modes: Crawl and Race. I've had numerous occasions where just moderate acceleration would have been fine. I gradually press the gas to get going, but by the time the Jeep gets going, the traffic that was a mile down the road is closing so fast I have to step on it.
I think they need a new calibration for the 2.0t.
I feel the same way! The 2.0T in my JL is an angry bastard when it gets going, but sometimes (going uphill on the road for example) the 8-speed won't downshift right away, then might downshift two gears when it finally realizes it's a steep grade. Meanwhile, the 8-speed in my wife's JLU paired with the 3.6 does not do this on the same roads. I'm not sure why, but I'd bet it's just something in the calibration.

Sponsored

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
I think the JL has a great auto transmission...it's one of the best best torque converter autos out there. You want to try a bad tranny, come drive my 2017 Pacifica. That 9 speed is the slurriest, slowest to respond thing out there.

OP
OP
Archie PJ

Archie PJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Punk"n
Thanks for all the replies. As most of you said, it is pretty smooth...under normal driving. I guess I just need to learn to kick it down a little lighter in those cases where I need to in hopes that it doesn't downshift so many gears.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Thanks for all the replies. As most of you said, it is pretty smooth...under normal driving. I guess I just need to learn to kick it down a little lighter in those cases where I need to in hopes that it doesn't downshift so many gears.
If you have the 3.6, note also that this motor likes high revs by design. All the power is up there, and it runs its best at higher RPMs - so the transmission is tuned to get out of the doggish low RPM range and up into the powerband if it thinks you need the power. No issue with letting it do this at all.
Sponsored