Sponsored

Transmission kick-down --- Geez!!

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Thanks for all the replies. As most of you said, it is pretty smooth...under normal driving. I guess I just need to learn to kick it down a little lighter in those cases where I need to in hopes that it doesn't downshift so many gears.
It's not just you, those double/triple downshifts can be a kick in the teeth when you are trying to accelerate out of a hole. I really only notice it on country highways where someone slows me down to a crawl and I want to accelerate back up to 60-70mph quickly.

Just needs some finesse and it smooths out. It's an automatic *shrug*
Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I had a 2.0 turbo last year for about a week while they were working on my Jeep for some warranty work. I hated the throttle response compared to the V6. The wife noticed the same. I think it is just a matter of muscle memory though. The JL V6 with the 8-speed is the best engine/transmission pair I've ever owned.

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
I had a 2.0 turbo last year for about a week while they were working on my Jeep for some warranty work. I hated the throttle response compared to the V6. The wife noticed the same. I think it is just a matter of muscle memory though. The JL V6 with the 8-speed is the best engine/transmission pair I've ever owned.
Yes, you have electronic throttle delay coupled with turbo lag on 2.0 - usually result in gas pedal mashing as person perceives couple hundred if rpm slow response as need to push pedal further.
Only turbo charged engines that are pleasant to drive (for me) are v6 twinturbo or v8 turbo.
Although Volvo 2.0 twin charged hybrid (supercharger + turbo +rear electric motors) probably only 4 cylinder that will feel a joy to operate daily with torque of a V8.

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport-S "Islander" (2-Door)
This freaked me out the first time I stomped on the accelerator at 35mph in an "emergency". Used to driving manual transmission cars and stomp reacted very different. The other car I've driven in the last 20 years was my wife's 2002 Honda CRV and it reacted more like my old manual tranny Mazda when stomped on than this Jeep does. That racing RPM on the Jeep made me think I broke something. Going to have to get used to this, and not stomp the accelerator.

Best,
-Tim

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
I went into the dealer planning to buy a manual. All of my Jeeps had been manual transmissions and I've never liked the automatics I've had in other vehicles. After a test drive though I was convinced that the auto was the better option, it's always in the right gear it's shifts quickly enough, and truly it has made life easier. I still miss how a manual is more engaging from time to time, but truly I have never regretting going with the auto in the Jeep.
I went in the same way, test drove the auto and was so blown away...but the Jeep with all the packages I wanted (specifically the one without the packages I didn't want) was a manual and the rest is history. The MT is still a great trans in the JL.
Sponsored