Automatic transmission question

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
I’m certainly no engineer, but not sure it’s less fuel efficient. If it’s using engine braking by downshifting, the engine RPM is higher but that doesn’t mean it’s burning more fuel since your foot is off the gas. When you need to accelerate again, then you are already in a lower gear so you don’t need to press hard on the gas pedal to get going again if that makes sense.

Can you watch the displayed gear # drop on the cluster when slowing to a stop?
It's actually more efficient. As a matter of fact, you can see it in action on the fuel economy display in the cluster. It's the same with the manual; fuel economy is observably better when you downshift to a gear appropriate for your speed of travel, even when coasting. The eight-speed auto does it for you.
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I come from dozens of prior Jeeps and pickup trucks. In my opinion, the transmission braking programmed into the JL is overkill. It's way too aggressive.

And, I've driven the new Rams, F-150s, etc. and no, they are nowhere close to as aggressive as the JL in terms of transmission braking.

If you're towing a trailer it's wonderful...but in day to day driving I find it extremely annoying on the JL, to be honest.

And, it's less fuel efficient because while coasting the ECU on modern vehicles typically shuts the fuel injectors down. But on these JLs you have to apply light throttle to keep coasting which keeps the injectors open.

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
I come from dozens of prior Jeeps and pickup trucks. In my opinion, the transmission braking programmed into the JL is overkill. It's way too aggressive.

And, I've driven the new Rams, F-150s, etc. and no, they are nowhere close to as aggressive as the JL in terms of transmission braking.

If you're towing a trailer it's wonderful...but in day to day driving I find it extremely annoying on the JL, to be honest.

And, it's less fuel efficient because while coasting the ECU on modern vehicles typically shuts the fuel injectors down. But on these JLs you have to apply light throttle to keep coasting which keeps the injectors open.
My rams work the same as this JL, neither one of them is more aggressive than than the other. There is a allot of posts about this same thing in the ram forums, when ever someone gets a new 8 speed.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
And, apparently all the vehicles FCA uses the 8-speed transmissions in including the JL just got recalled yesterday. I have no other information on the recall yet. Has something to do with the ability for the vehicle to roll away and crash, even if the indicator shows "park".

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
And, apparently all the vehicles FCA uses the 8-speed transmissions in including the JL just got recalled yesterday. I have no other information on the recall yet. Has something to do with the ability for the vehicle to roll away and crash, even if the indicator shows "park".
Nothing on Google about a recall yesterday. There was a older recall on the 6 speed auto 2500. The 8 speed is a hell of a transmission. Allot of the problems with the 8 speed and dial shifter is user error. All the JK guys would probably loose there mind ,if they would of put a dial shifter in JL .LOL

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Deceleration fuel shut off is what happens in this situation. When your engine RPM is above Idle and your throttle is closed and the engine is at operating temperature your fuel injection will shut off. At that point all that's happening with your engine is air flow and no fuel burn. Its been that way with all fuel injection systems since at least the early 90s. If you bring up your fuel mileage screen you'll see the instant mileage jump up to 99 MPG when you're braking for a stop light/sign, that's when the fuel injectors shut off. This is also why coasting down a hill in neutral isn't as efficient as many people like to think.
I mean, this is obvious and we all know it, and it doesn't really touch on the topic at hand. The JL aggressively comes to a slow down when you're off the gas and coming to a light. This doesn't feel like no gas is burning, it feels like it's actively using regenerative brakes or something else from a hybrid. It's far more aggressive than the 50+ "It's been that way since the early 90s" cars I've driven prior to the JL. The difference in your analogy is that if I attempt to coast without pushing the gas the Jeep will feel like it's literally braking for me at the same time.

I'm glad someone else made this thread because I keep forgetting about it until I'm driving. It's something I'd really like to loosen up, one of my only complaints about the Jeep so far. Not a big one and I'll survive, just seems strange I have to constantly be pushing the gas or I hit a wall. Haven't really watched the gears traverse, finally enabled that mode.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I mean, this is obvious and we all know it, and it doesn't really touch on the topic at hand. The JL aggressively comes to a slow down when you're off the gas and coming to a light. This doesn't feel like no gas is burning, it feels like it's actively using regenerative brakes or something else from a hybrid. It's far more aggressive than the 50+ "It's been that way since the early 90s" cars I've driven prior to the JL.

I'm glad someone else made this thread because I keep forgetting about it until I'm driving. It's something I'd really like to loosen up, one of my only complaints about the Jeep so far. Not a big one and I'll survive, just seems strange I have to constantly be pushing the gas or I hit a wall. Haven't really watched the gears traverse, finally enabled that mode.
I have yet to see this aggressive engine braking in mine. Is it something that's specific to the Rubicon? Because if I go downhill and I need to engine brake, I have to go into manual mode to make it downshift (usually from 8th to 5th) for me to feel anything. Or maybe I got too used to my old Ram's excellent engine braking that the v6 doesn't feel like it brakes quite as much.

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have yet to see this aggressive engine braking in mine. Is it something that's specific to the Rubicon? Because if I go downhill and I need to engine brake, I have to go into manual mode to make it downshift (usually from 8th to 5th) for me to feel anything. Or maybe I got too used to my old Ram's excellent engine braking that the v6 doesn't feel like it brakes quite as much.
I'm not really sure, it's my first Wrangler and I've only driven the Rubi JL so far. It's super aggressive. Best way to explain it is if I plan to coast up to a stop light where cars are sitting I usually let off the gas and roll up 5-10 car lengths, except with this I'll hit about 1-2 car lengths and almost come to a complete stop with 8 car lengths to go. I have to push the gas again. It feels exactly like regenerative brakes in the Hybrids I've driven where they're basically pulling you backwards.

Also causes me to have to punch it a bunch when I'm parking.

I need to turn my dash off the fuel efficiency gauge.. lol

Hell, maybe we're all riding with our ebrakes on and don't know it. Maybe I'm just not used to transmissions that really engine brake at all. Last few cars were sports cars with DCTs. Haven't owned a "truck" in a looong time.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not really sure, it's my first Wrangler and I've only driven the Rubi JL so far. It's super aggressive. Best way to explain it is if I plan to coast up to a stop light where cars are sitting I usually let off the gas and roll up 5-10 car lengths, except with this I'll hit about 1-2 car lengths and almost come to a complete stop with 8 car lengths to go. I have to push the gas again. It feels exactly like regenerative brakes in the Hybrids I've driven where they're basically pulling you backwards.

Also causes me to have to punch it a bunch when I'm parking.

I need to turn my dash off the fuel efficiency gauge.. lol

Hell, maybe we're all riding with our ebrakes on and don't know it. Maybe I'm just not used to transmissions that really engine brake at all. Last few cars were sports cars with DCTs. Haven't owned a "truck" in a looong time.
Maybe I should sneak a test drive with a Rubicon to see. lol

My old Ram was good on engine braking and the most of company trucks I drive have exhaust brakes, so maybe my perspective is skewed. I do notice that the EcoBoost F-150s we have here don't engine brake to save their lives...

Sponsored

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe I should sneak a test drive with a Rubicon to see. lol

My old Ram was good on engine braking and the most of company trucks I drive have exhaust brakes, so maybe my perspective is skewed. I do notice that the EcoBoost F-150s we have here don't engine brake to save their lives...
I guess maybe that's what I'm not understanding. You say your Ram is good on engine braking, so I'm guessing you see it as a positive. Is this not more wear on the transmission? For instance in all of my cars (DCts/manuals) I go out of my way to wear out the brakes instead of the clutch/transmission because it's way cheaper to replace brakes than any driveline parts, especially $3500 clutches on a DCT.

Am I completely wrong? Someone above also said it saves your brakes. But what about the driveline giving the resistance?

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I guess maybe that's what I'm not understanding. You say your Ram is good on engine braking, so I'm guessing you see it as a positive. Is this not more wear on the transmission? For instance in all of my cars (DCts/manuals) I go out of my way to wear out the brakes instead of the clutch/transmission because it's way cheaper to replace brakes than any driveline parts, especially $3500 clutches on a DCT.

Am I completely wrong? Someone above also said it saves your brakes. But what about the driveline giving the resistance?
Engine braking does no more wear on your driveline than accelerating and cruising and is a normal function. Aggressively using your brakes will wear those down faster than any downhill engine breaking will do to your transmission. All it is is using the compression stroke to provide some resistance to unwanted acceleration when you're going down hill. Now that being said if you downshift too far you'll damage your engine if it revs too high. Modern automatics won't allow this but in a manual I don't think there's anything to stop you from doing a 6th to 2nd downshift and that will ruin your day pretty quickly.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Same here in my Sahara. I actually prefer engine breaking and I am shifting into manual mode to down shift when coming to a stop.

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Engine braking does no more wear on your driveline than accelerating and cruising and is a normal function. Aggressively using your brakes will wear those down faster than any downhill engine breaking will do to your transmission. All it is is using the compression stroke to provide some resistance to unwanted acceleration when you're going down hill. Now that being said if you downshift too far you'll damage your engine if it revs too high. Modern automatics won't allow this but in a manual I don't think there's anything to stop you from doing a 6th to 2nd downshift and that will ruin your day pretty quickly.
Well hell, thanks. Stupid me always assumed "engine braking" was just a misnomer for using the transmission as your brake but that explains it.

edit: Er, your other explanation about the compression cycles explained it.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Well hell, thanks. Stupid me always assumed "engine braking" was just a misnomer for using the transmission as your brake but that explains it.

edit: Er, your other explanation about the compression cycles explained it.
Ah its no worries. Coming from a hybrid your experience is going to be different, and I've only driven one a few times.
Sponsored