Automatic transmission problem?

Choike2

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL
I bought my Jeep JL in May '18, (3.6L, 8 spd auto trans). I paid the dealer an additional $1000 for the factory trailer hitch/receiver set-up, and at about 3000mi. I towed a Polaris 800 RZR(1100lbs) on a sturdy 5x10 trailer(750lbs.) to WV for work. Since I was slightly over half the 3500lb. tow rating, I felt like I would be ok. NOPE.
Don't you know the pos 1st gear began to slip slightly when the vehicle was cold, and sometimes would even *thump* when engaging. All the other gears shifted fine. When the vehicle is warm (trans fluid at least) the problem is not really noticeable. I did not have any catastrophic failures, in fact, I climbed some no shi* hills in 4 low, and the jeep worked as advertised.
23,000mi. later, after towing my buggy back down to FL, the tranny is still unacceptable in first gear, again, when it's cold. I took it to the dealer and the service manager told me, " Best thing you can do is *smoke* the transmission because I'm not going to be able to prove there's anything wrong with it." I think a $46,000 dollar vehicle warrants a law suit. Anybody know my options?
Sponsored

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I think this is a tough one for you. I doubt if there is any legal proof that the transmission is defective since it does shift fine after it's warmed up. I've had multiple vehicles that didn't function the same when they were cold and warm. Have they tried a drivetrain reflash? Good luck to you.