Sponsored

ZF 8 speed automatic transmission review

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
3rd auto I’ve ever owned.
First I’ve ever even liked, much less loved.
I flat love this tranny.
Oops. That word means something different today, I reckon. Yuck.
The morphing of language ; tranny, dyke, ( had to correct auto spell several times to get those words) . Should start a thread on this...
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I was thinking this has been the best auto trans I can recall in vehicles I've owned and driven.

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
I own 18 F150 with a 10sp auto. I also own 2 of the 8sp autos. The JLUR and a Durango.
I like the 8sp trans better.

Ive driven some GM 10sp as well. IMO the 8sp is the best OEM auto trans on the market.

Rambler_13

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392 Sting Gray
But it's not just the trans. shifter, it's the steering wheel controls too! Up goes down in the menu, down goes up. It's dyslexic!

I don't buy Lite Brite's idea at all. It's a Jeep made for the consumer market, it should be intuitive. Down should be down. Up should be up.
Just about every sports car does it this way, and is the way it should be imo, even for a truck, haha. Porsche screwed this up with their PDK initially and then fixed it around 2016/7. My 2015 Turbo S had it backwards (up to upshift and down to downshift) which was annoying but since it had paddles, I never used the shifter.

The ZF is an amazing transmission, it was particularly brilliant in my previous AR Giulia QV with Alfa’s tuning. I also prefer the ZF in the JL to the 10sp in the Raptor that I just traded for the JL. The 10sp upshifted wonderfully but downshifted terribly. When it downshifted, it would literally lunge the truck forward rather than slow it down. It was as if they couldn’t figure out the rev matching. And I felt 10 speeds was just too many, even 8 is pushing it.

rogisilva

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Rotadyne.com.au
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR OB
Occupation
Design Development Manager
I also agree with pulling (down) for up-shifts and pushing (up) for downshifts, I see it as pull and push on the stick more than up and down and it is much more natural to pull it towards you to shift up. I've felt like this from my first drive in an auto with a sequential shifter... That car had it backwards (push for up-shift) and it immediately felt wrong even with no prior experience.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Reactions: eck

Lou Bunn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
8 Speed automatic...boy, back in my day we had a 2 speed called the PowerGlide. You FLOORED it till it changed gears and then drove regularly. I love new things!

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I also agree with pulling (down) for up-shifts and pushing (up) for downshifts, I see it as pull and push on the stick more than up and down and it is much more natural to pull it towards you to shift up. I've felt like this from my first drive in an auto with a sequential shifter... That car had it backwards (push for up-shift) and it immediately felt wrong even with no prior experience.
I got comfortable with the steering wheel paddle shifters on my SS Camaro. I can see where they could work well on a Jeep when wheeling.

Rambler_13

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392 Sting Gray
8 Speed automatic...boy, back in my day we had a 2 speed called the PowerGlide. You FLOORED it till it changed gears and then drove regularly. I love new things!
I had one of these on a '67 Firebird, lol. Robust transmission but very slow off the line from what I recall and an almost 80 mph upshift to 2nd!

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
I got comfortable with the steering wheel paddle shifters on my SS Camaro. I can see where they could work well on a Jeep when wheeling.
They would indeed. I had paddles on a Honda side-by-side 4wheeler. Ideal for off-road driving.

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I particularly like how the 8sp has a constant decel mode, grabbing lower gears to provide some compression braking as you slow. I'd actually like to see it a little more aggressive in that, like tow/haul in my 6R140

Used to be autos were only considered a component to make you GO, and they didn't bother downshifting 'til you floored it

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I've had variants of this transmission in a 14 Grand Cherokee and a 17 RAM and the one in the 18 JL is the best yet. It comes down to getting the programming right and this one is leaps beyond the one in the 14 GC.

JP18

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Got one in a 2012 BMW 650i. Works awesome.
Got one in a 2015 Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel, works great.
DID NOT GET ONE in my 2018 JLUR, have had clutch problems since I got it. Regret not getting the auto.

JP18

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Love my auto. So smooth you dont know it's shifting and the reason I turned on the option to see what gear I'm in. It's crazy good.

I dont mind the way the manual works, makes sense to me and I only use it when wheeling. I have bumped it into manual by mistake and it freaked me out when it wasnt shifting. That would be my only complaint on it, but it only happened the one time.

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I'm very familiar with this transmission after many years of driving BMW autos. Chrysler/Mopar/FCA actually is licensed to build these transmissions from ZF, although I suspect there's minor physical if any, and more likely software changes between a ZF built, and Chrysler built tranny.

Watched this a few years ago and this guy gives a good breakdown of the transmission as he builds it up in his shop class.

More here:

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a23367341/automatic-transmission-best-zf-eight-speed/

and finally, the obligatory Wiki Page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_8HP_transmission
Sponsored