Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

BLACKMOAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLU MOAB, 2021 Black Lexus GX 460
@blink9cd

I encourage you to disassemble your stock fob now, and place the disassembled fob in a zip lock bag...

Careful with the tiny tiny roll pin that secures the key as it can go missing quickly.

Doing the disassembly a head of time makes THREEDOM fob assembly day / when the THREEDOM fob arrives a more pleasurable day...

If you wait til the THREEDOM fob shows up.... and then start disassembly, you will find yourself rushing..

You do want to go slow in regard to the stock fob disassembly... Disassembly is quite easy but you want to take your time getting the RFID free from the stock fob...

IF you RFID chip resists removal, walk away for a few minutes and then go at it again... Some RFID's come right out and some make you work a tad at it... 8-)

You are really going to like/enjoy your Model M.

Does anyone have any good pointers, tricks or tips on removing the RFID chip from the factory fob without damaging the chip? I’m ready to assemble my THREEDOM fob and I’ve watched their videos numerous times. The guy in the video says to be careful not to damage the coating on the chip but it looks to me like he gouged the chip coating when he went after it with a pick.
https://vod-progressive.akamaized.net/exp=1637634663~acl=/vimeo-prod-skyfire-std-us/01/879/21/529395389/2492239882.mp4~hmac=c401a612f2ccb5d38df99fd1437d38655c046e3645046d506e172ff6104e534c/vimeo-prod-skyfire-std-us/01/879/21/529395389/2492239882.mp4?filename=Factory+Fob+Disassembly.mp4.mp4
I was wondering if maybe a few drops of WD40, silicone or the like, might help? I don’t want to cut the factory fob to remove it like the video suggests if wont budge.
Any ideas? @Rhinebeck01 @JLUandCJ-7 ?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does anyone have any good pointers, tricks or tips on removing the RFID chip from the factory fob without damaging the chip? I’m ready to assemble my THREEDOM fob and I’ve watched their videos numerous times. The guy in the video says to be careful not to damage the coating on the chip but it looks to me like he gouged the chip coating when he went after it with a pick.
https://vod-progressive.akamaized.net/exp=1637634663~acl=/vimeo-prod-skyfire-std-us/01/879/21/529395389/2492239882.mp4~hmac=c401a612f2ccb5d38df99fd1437d38655c046e3645046d506e172ff6104e534c/vimeo-prod-skyfire-std-us/01/879/21/529395389/2492239882.mp4?filename=Factory+Fob+Disassembly.mp4.mp4
I was wondering if maybe a few drops of WD40, silicone or the like, might help? I don’t want to cut the factory fob to remove it like the video suggests if wont budge.
@BLACKMOAB

I've removed I think it's 6 or 7 RFID chips from JL stock fobs... Out of those one RFID chip did make me really really work at it... With that one I did slightly damage (cut) one side of the RFID holding box, not the chip. Once the chip was out I just pushed that side back in and you really could hardly see it had been compromised/damaged...

Here is what has works for me ....

I use a small very very thin thickness of the blade, flat tip screwdriver.

I place the thin thin blade in the slight gap between the chip and stock case RFID holding box and then with say a small tack hammer gently, tap tap, on the screwdriver handle.

The blade will then proceed downward and spread things enough (spreads the wall away from the chip) so you can get in there and pry the chip up.... (once the one side is slightly forced away from the chip, you can get in there and pry.

You can't / you won't be able to, just push the flat tip down and get in in there..... you need to tap tap with a small hammer/tack hammer..

The RFID chip is coated and pretty durable... you may see a slight dent after removal but that has no negative impact.... does not ruin or make useless the chip.

Personally, I keep from using sharp or pointed tools when trying to remove the chip.... YES, you pierce the chip or cut into it and you may ruin the chip..

Work at Slow pace.... take your time.... go easy.... and you can get the chip out and have little more that maybe a pry mark on the inside of the fob where you cannot see it.. Yes, it can be a tad bit of work removing the chip, depending how well the RFID chip is secured in your stock fob.. it is doable though.

Important.... A guy or gal can have an enjoy a THREEDOM fob,..... and not, again not remove the RFID chip from the stock fob...

IF you aren't wanting to deal with the RFID chip removal from the stock fob...... just disassemble the stock fob and leave the RFID chip in place...leave the RFID chip in the stock fob... then place the stock fob circuit board, etc., into the THREEDOM fob ..... it's easy easy and most 12 yr olds could do it.....

Now, take the stock fob with the RFID chip in it and carefully...carefully stash the stock fob with the RFID chip in it somewhere in the JL.

Stash it under the carpet or whatever, just hide it very well..

....this way, if you were ever faced with a fob with a dead battery, etc., that would necessitate you to start the JL/JT with the RFID chip that you have the RFID chip handy/with you/carefully stashed in the JL..

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@BLACKMOAB

Forgot to mention ...... to get the key off of that round, metal key holder.... You need to remove the "roll pin" in order to get the key free..

CAREFUL when you free the roll pin as it is tiny tiny tiny and can get lost easily....

What I do is take a piece of cardboard about 12"x12" and place it on my old workbench...

Now, I lay the key that is secured with the roll pin onto the cardboard...

Now, I take a bulletin board push/stick pin and place it in against the roll pin and press on it very very firmly. Do this firmly enough and the roll pin gets forced out.

That cardboard under there snags the roll pin .... the cardboard keeps the roll pin from going flying or from it damaging your work bench, your kitchen table or whatever you have used as a solid firm work surface.

NOW, put the roll pin somewhere where it will not get lost..... then grab the key and start pulling and wiggling it forcefully until it comes loose from the key holder..

Take that key and with the roll pin secure it in place in the Model S fob or in the Threedom key holder with the roll pin...

Bulletin board stick/push pin
Jeep Wrangler JL Keyfob now 30% smaller! pin

BLACKMOAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLU MOAB, 2021 Black Lexus GX 460
@BLACKMOAB

I've removed I think it's 6 or 7 RFID chips from JL stock fobs... Out of those one RFID chip did make me really really work at it... With that one I did slightly damage (cut) one side of the RFID holding box, not the chip. Once the chip was out I just pushed that side back in and you really could hardly see it had been compromised/damaged...

Here is what has works for me ....

I use a small very very thin thickness of the blade, flat tip screwdriver.

I place the thin thin blade in the slight gap between the chip and stock case RFID holding box and then with say a small tack hammer gently, tap tap, on the screwdriver handle.

The blade will then proceed downward and spread things enough (spreads the wall away from the chip) so you can get in there and pry the chip up.... (once the one side is slightly forced away from the chip, you can get in there and pry.

You can't / you won't be able to, just push the flat tip down and get in in there..... you need to tap tap with a small hammer/tack hammer..

The RFID chip is coated and pretty durable... you may see a slight dent after removal but that has no negative impact.... does not ruin or make useless the chip.

Personally, I keep from using sharp or pointed tools when trying to remove the chip.... YES, you pierce the chip or cut into it and you may ruin the chip..

Work at Slow pace.... take your time.... go easy.... and you can get the chip out and have little more that maybe a pry mark on the inside of the fob where you cannot see it.. Yes, it can be a tad bit of work removing the chip, depending how well the RFID chip is secured in your stock fob.. it is doable though.

Important.... A guy or gal can have an enjoy a THREEDOM fob,..... and not, again not remove the RFID chip from the stock fob...

IF you aren't wanting to deal with the RFID chip removal from the stock fob...... just disassemble the stock fob and leave the RFID chip in place...leave the RFID chip in the stock fob... then place the stock fob circuit board, etc., into the THREEDOM fob ..... it's easy easy and most 12 yr olds could do it.....

Now, take the stock fob with the RFID chip in it and carefully...carefully stash the stock fob with the RFID chip in it somewhere in the JL.

Stash it under the carpet or whatever, just hide it very well..

....this way, if you were ever faced with a fob with a dead battery, etc., that would necessitate you to start the JL/JT with the RFID chip that you have the RFID chip handy/with you/carefully stashed in the JL..

@Rhineback01
I’ve got all of the tools including the push pin ready. So you don‘t think WD40 or Liquid Wrench would penetrate down between RFID chip and the sides of the OEM fob to help it come out easier? Could a lubricant itself damage the chip?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Rhineback01
I’ve got all of the tools including the push pin ready. So you don‘t think WD40 or Liquid Wrench would penetrate down between RFID chip and the sides of the OEM fob to help it come out easier? Could a lubricant itself damage the chip?
@BLACKMOAB

The chip is sealed/coated so I can't see a lubricant hurting the RFID chip. To me though, I can't see how it would help using it though...

Just look closely at the box like perimeter the RFID is surround by.... look closely and you will see a tiny tiny crease so to speak.

Just place a thin thin bladed screwdriver tip in there and tap tap the screwdriver handle with a small hammer.... The blade will sink downward and spread the one side of the chip holder.. Now just get in there .... in that tiny gap and pry upward...

IF, if the RFID chip is really really locked in there, then with a sharp blade you can carefully cut into the one end of the chip holder and cut/pry the side away from the chip.... Now get in there and pry.. DO, do be careful not to cut the chip.... After chip is out just press/force the cut box back into place.

Agai, remember you really do not need the RFID chip in the THREEDOM fob. You just need to have the RFID available if you were to have a dead fob battery and the fob circuit board die...

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I was changing out one today and it struck me that inertia would remove it. I just slapped the half of the OEM FOB on my desk and it started coming out. The first few slaps didn't seem to move it much. But as it moved further, it started coming out more with each slap. Try it, you'll like it. I told Threedom about it and told them to update their video.

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I turned it over and tapped the case on the counter top The chip came out enough to get with my fingers.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I turned it over and tapped the case on the counter top The chip came out enough to get with my fingers.
Yeah a slap on the counter is hundreds of Gs.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was changing out one today and it struck me that inertia would remove it. I just slapped the half of the OEM FOB on my desk and it started coming out. The first few slaps didn't seem to move it much. But as it moved further, it started coming out more with each slap. Try it, you'll like it. I told Threedom about it and told them to update their video.
@roaniecowpony

I never tried the slapping of the stock fob on a table to dislodge the RFID chip... Next time I will try this approach....

As I mentioned in an earlier post(s) ....all the the stock fobs I worked on, gave up easily, the RFID chip... without much effort on my part... One chip though, seemed to be really really in there... so ... so, slapping on a desk, I doubt would have done the deed. Wish I had tried the slap on the table approach though... 8-)

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
@roaniecowpony

I never tried the slapping of the stock fob on a table to dislodge the RFID chip... Next time I will try this approach....

As I mentioned in an earlier post(s) ....all the the stock fobs I worked on, gave up easily, the RFID chip... without much effort on my part... One chip though, seemed to be really really in there... so ... so, slapping on a desk, I doubt would have done the deed. Wish I had tried the slap on the table approach though... 8-)

I had to slap mine hard enough that I thought it might break. It didn't look like it moved for a handful of slaps. Then you could see it obviously moving. It worked on this one.

Jeep Wrangler JL Keyfob now 30% smaller! 20211124_143210
Jeep Wrangler JL Keyfob now 30% smaller! 20211124_143526

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When using the manual key with the model S+, what prevents the key from getting shoved back into the fob as it's inserted into the vehicle's lock?

Is there

enough built in friction in the sliding key mechanism to keep the key exposed as it enters the vehicle's lock, or

does the key "lock" open (and/or closed) on the fob, or maybe,

does the owner keep their thumb on the sliding switch when inserting the key into the vehicle's lock?

TIA
@Tommywear

The retractable key locks firmly/securely in either the retracted position or the extended position.

The Model S+ fob user, pushes the slider button down very slightly, it releases and then he/she pushes the slide/key to the extended position where it locks in place..

After use of the key, the user pushes the slider button down very slightly and then slides the key to retracted position where it locks in place.

Also... once the key / slider is locked in either position, there is no need to key your finger on the slider...

Sponsored