Sponsored

Keyfob now 30% smaller!

AnebuR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon + 2014 JK Sport S
@Jjirish

Not going to happen..... the bracelet would have to be big enough to hold the circuit board and the fob battery...

An alternative....especially if your JL has proximity....
For someone that wanted / that wants a way lets call it.... you could buy a Model M from DI labs and water proof it. To do so would be easy..

The M is so so small and so so light that you could/can wear it around your neck on a lanyard.... or pinned onto your bathing suit top or bottom, etc...
What about making a small RFID holder that attaches to the top of the OEM key? Wouldn't that allow one to lock/unlock with the key and then start the Jeep by pressing the top of the key to the start button? That would be completely waterproof and the smallest possible option on one's key chain, since no fob or battery would be required.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
What about making a small RFID holder that attaches to the top of the OEM key? Wouldn't that allow one to lock/unlock with the key and then start the Jeep by pressing the top of the key to the start button? That would be completely waterproof and the smallest possible option on one's key chain, since no fob or battery would be required.
@AnebuR

Sure.... reality is the RFID chip is very stout and waterproof as it is coated...

You could even just glue the chip to the end of the key blade. There is just enough room on the end of the blade to glue the chip and still have a functional key..

You could probably even buy and install a DI labs key holder, install it on the cut key and then glue the chip to the holder..... sure, anything is possible..... not my cup of tea though...

Last edited:

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum
@Jjirish

Not going to happen..... the bracelet would have to be big enough to hold the circuit board and the fob battery...

An alternative....especially if your JL has proximity....
For someone that wanted / that wants a way lets call it.... you could buy a Model M from DI labs and water proof it. To do so would be easy..

The M is so so small and so so light that you could/can wear it around your neck on a lanyard.... or pinned onto your bathing suit top or bottom, etc...
I ordered 3 m's this morning! My jag had the proximity feature ect all it the activity key wristband... the defender i ordered did too... why does Jeep need so much space?

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I think you'd have to not engage any alarm your JL may come with, as the physical turning of the key in the door lock will not disable that alarm.

I haven't tried trying to start my JL from the RFID chip alone when the alarm is going off.

Your idea would be compact alright. Stick the item in a hitch lock box and you wouldn't even need to carry your key....

..that is until the biometric identifiers that Stellantis claims to be working on authenticate you as a designated starter of the vehicle.....see recent videos....

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have to commend DI Labs in regard to the little T6 Torx driver they are sending out with their terrific fobs..

A really really nice little tool with magnetized end...
......the included little black screw is a nice plus also..
Jeep Wrangler JL Keyfob now 30% smaller! Capture11.JPG

@crdouglass3

Reactions: DC3

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ordered 3 m's this morning! My jag had the proximity feature ect all it the activity key wristband... the defender i ordered did too... why does Jeep need so much space?
@Jjirish

I'm real curious what color / texture, Model M's you chose.... 8-)

DI Labs just dropped word on some new JL/JT offerings.... I do believe you may just find something else that catches you eye.... Look here: https://www.facebook.com/MyThreedom/

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Jjirish

You got the translucent, dimple, Model M.... I will be ordering a translucent soon..

My one Son coming back from an overseas military operation is chomping at the bit so to speak for a translucent/dimple 4 button, Model M.

You will really like your DI Labs fobs...

AnebuR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Received mine yesterday and it works like a charm. One thing I would add is that I don't see the point of removing the top of the key and replacing it with one of the plastic options available from Threedom. Works just fine as is on my key chain.

Jeep Wrangler JL Keyfob now 30% smaller! 20210718_163558

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I like my DI Labs fob.

I also like my JL Tazer.

What I don't do is develop fanboy relationships with products, let alone so intense, that I post 50+ times about them on a thread, let alone with every juxtaposed picture I can find of the OEM fob being too large for "likes."

Then again, brands can provide [an] identity along with a ready-made community where [people] feel accepted and understood, which may be particularly relevant for people who are not gaining this from more traditional routes such as family or school.

https://www.gamesradar.com/psychology-fanboys-explained-professional/

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Received mine yesterday and it works like a charm. One thing I would add is that I don't see the point of removing the top of the key and replacing it with one of the plastic options available from Threedom. Works just fine as is on my key chain.
@AnebuR

You ordered on 7/9/21 and received it yesterday 7/18/21. That M got to you in Ct from Minn. pretty fast...

As for your keeping the circular metal ring on the key versus using one of the custom key holder's from DI Labs... to each his own....

Actually, I thought your Rubi had proximity... my first thought was... why bother to carry the key...

You had mentioned you wanting to "reduce bulk". That key with the circular metal thing attached, I believe weighs more then the assembled M.

Anyway, do enjoy..... I am confident you will!

For those curious about the key holder's from DI Labs... Yes, they are $3.00+ each...
Jeep Wrangler JL Keyfob now 30% smaller! Capture.JPG

AnebuR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@AnebuR

You ordered on 7/9/21 and received it yesterday 7/18/21. That M got to you in Ct from Minn. pretty fast...

As for your keeping the circular metal ring on the key versus using one of the custom key holder's from DI Labs... to each his own....

Actually, I thought your Rubi had proximity... my first thought was... why bother to carry the key...

You had mentioned you wanting to "reduce bulk". That key with the circular metal thing attached, I believe weighs more then the assembled M.

Anyway, do enjoy..... I am confident you will!

For those curious about the key holder's from DI Labs... Yes, they are $3.00+ each...
The shipping definely was impressively fast for a small shop. While my JLR does have proximity, I have had the fob battery crap out on me with the Jeep locked. Good to have a key on hand for that.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The shipping definely was impressively fast for a small shop. While my JLR does have proximity, I have had the fob battery crap out on me with the Jeep locked. Good to have a key on hand for that.
@AnebuR

Prudent to have a key handy.

I hide a key on the outside of the JL .... just in case I were to need it...

So far, in 3 yrs., I have not needed to use the hidden spare key ... 8-)