Jump Ship or What?

Tharris

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 4dr (JLU) Sting Gray
Ok so I leased my 2dr Rubi 2.0 almost 4 months ago. That was prior to finding this forum, filled with all you wonderful & knowledgeable Jeep brothers. So yeah I paid MSRP & definitely did not get a great deal. Anyway, starting to wish I got a 4dr instead for more practical reasons. By the way, my Jeep will never rock crawl or anything close. So yeah the Rubi is way over kill for my daily driver city needs. Plus honestly wish I had the all time 4 WD system for extra peace of mind for Florida weather. Called the dealer today that I purchased from & asked if he had any 4 doors on the lot… I know now , order for under invoice is the ticket! ( don’t roast me yet) thing is , I don’t have another vehicle to use in meantime. So he told me he has plenty coming in 2 weeks. So I asked how much off msrp is he willing to do for a return customer? His answer was MSRP is the best they can do now & I should go get a price from Carmax & he will try to come as close to that price as he can on my Jeep. So here is the question or questions, Went to Carmax today got offered 47k but I owe about $52k, safe to say 5k Negative. My MSRP was $54k nicely loaded Jeep… With the market being the way it is right now, Is this my time to jump ship? Will I be in a more neg situation after used car prices decrease or better because I have made more payments & brought down my payoff price? Or will my Jeep take a much harder price hit in months too come? Really on the fence about this any input is highly appreciated. I really don’t wanna get screwed that bad again. I’m still kinda soar! 1. sell to Carmax, cut the check for the difference & start a clean slate which will hurt a bit, 2. Trade into dealer for a 4dr & roll some negative into a new lease? 3. Private list it, just suck it up & keep it? Just to add, I will do some more shopping around as far as trying to get a better deal if possible on a new 4dr but dealerships here in Florida r tough to say the least.. Man , I would luv to order & spec it out! the way I want. But that’s probably not in the cards for me. Sorry for the long thread. What to do?
You just want out because it’s a rubicon? You know they hold their value far beyond the lower models. Financially it would be foolish to sell it now, unless you can cut even on your way out.
Sponsored

OP
OP
dshark1

dshark1

First Name
Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLR
You just want out because it’s a rubicon? You know they hold their value far beyond the lower models. Financially it would be foolish to sell it now, unless you can cut even on your way out.
Not at all. Luv the Rubicon how it looks! but in reality I will never utilize its ability”s… I have 2 reasons well maybe 3…… 1st After learning of the deep discounts that forum members received I see how bad my deal was. So I am concerned of how much more I will lose by holding on to it once the used car market mellows. 2nd really missing the extra space of a larger suv at times. 3rd would definitely order my next Jeep with the all time AWD option.

blueweb

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 TJ Rubicon, '22 4xe Rubicon
Plus honestly wish I had the all time 4 WD system for extra peace of mind for Florida weather.
What type of Florida weather are we talking about here? Does Florida get snow? Why haven't I heard about this before??

Devil6Dog

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Snazzleberry, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee,
Not at all. Luv the Rubicon how it looks! but in reality I will never utilize its ability”s… I have 2 reasons well maybe 3…… 1st After learning of the deep discounts that forum members received I see how bad my deal was. So I am concerned of how much more I will lose by holding on to it once the used car market mellows. 2nd really missing the extra space of a larger suv at times. 3rd would definitely order my next Jeep with the all time AWD option.
It sounds to me that you regret leasing this vehicle and are caught up in what other people have got or saved. I bought my 21 Rubicon off the lot at msrp then came here and learned about how I could have saved ordering or people getting below msrp..blah blah blah. I already made a decision, I was happy with it, got 36 month 0% financing . Love my jeep. Would I like to do it over and order exactly like I want? yes, we all would.

You have a 2 dr Rubicon weather you go Offroad or not it's bad ass. You are in a lease, live it out, enjoy your jeep. After 4 years sell or trade in for the one you really want. in the meantime enjoy life. You will be surprised the value it will hold, especially in Florida where less likely to get Offroad damage.

Good Luck

OP
OP
dshark1

dshark1

First Name
Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLR
What type of Florida weather are we talking about here? Does Florida get snow? Why haven't I heard about this before??
Funny thing, it only snows on my house! I’ve always had full time awd vehicles & I like the way they feel in the rain which we get a bit of in Florida. Vehicles with awd to me, just feel more planted & stable vs rwd. In my opinion of course.

Sponsored

OP
OP
dshark1

dshark1

First Name
Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLR
It sounds to me that you regret leasing this vehicle and are caught up in what other people have got or saved. I bought my 21 Rubicon off the lot at msrp then came here and learned about how I could have saved ordering or people getting below msrp..blah blah blah. I already made a decision, I was happy with it, got 36 month 0% financing . Love my jeep. Would I like to do it over and order exactly like I want? yes, we all would.

You have a 2 dr Rubicon weather you go Offroad or not it's bad ass. You are in a lease, live it out, enjoy your jeep. After 4 years sell or trade in for the one you really want. in the meantime enjoy life. You will be surprised the value it will hold, especially in Florida where less likely to get Offroad damage.

Good Luck
Thx for the input. Yes that is a big part of it. ( wish I knew then ) Had no idea that the Wrangler holds its money so well. Would have definitely financed it vs leasing. What I’m trying to figure out is, am I better biting the bullet for a mistake I made that will cost me 5K now versus 10K later if I don’t ride out 44 months.

MandrewSD

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 392
Funny thing, it only snows on my house! I’ve always had full time awd vehicles & I like the way they feel in the rain which we get a bit of in Florida. Vehicles with awd to me, just feel more planted & stable vs rwd. In my opinion of course.
FYI the 4Auto in the Jeep is not the same as AWD...it likely will not "feel" any different unless you are trying to slip the rears.

OP
OP
dshark1

dshark1

First Name
Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLR
FYI the 4Auto in the Jeep is not the same as AWD...it likely will not "feel" any different unless you are trying to slip the rears.
Thank you, yes definitely aware of that. However if need be, I don’t think I can shift it quicker than the computer.

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKURHR
Sounds like your mind is made up. Most people here don’t find your reasoning persuasive. But you apparently do, and that’s all that matters.

imperial4ever

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0 Moss Green
Being upside down is no fun.

If you hold on to the Jeep for at least 2 years, chances are:
  1. you will have paid down enough to walk away without negative equity, or possibly have some positive equity
  2. this crazy market will have subsided, and
  3. the redesigned JL will be out.
A ton of people want a 2-door Rubicon; they are truly hard to find. Unless you absolutely need the extra space, it is a nice-to-have.

If I were in your position, I’d stick with the Jeep you have and enjoy it.

Good luck!
Sound advise man!

Sponsored

slowpoke387

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLURXR Firecracker red
The way to lose the least here is to sell to Carvana or Vroom as high as possible and buy low. So if you take a $5-7k hit now you will save more than $5k on the new purchase if you do your homework this time around and not feel completely deflated when it's all said and done. I've recently received a few quotes that were roughly $8k off a loaded JLUR order.

OP
OP
dshark1

dshark1

First Name
Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLR
The way to lose the least here is to sell to Carvana or Vroom as high as possible and buy low. So if you take a $5-7k hit now you will save more than $5k on the new purchase if you do your homework this time around and not feel completely deflated when it's all said and done. I've recently received a few quotes that were roughly $8k off a loaded JLUR order.
Actually Carmax beat there prices by a land slide! & yes homework!

OP
OP
dshark1

dshark1

First Name
Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLR
Sounds like your mind is made up. Most people here don’t find your reasoning persuasive. But you apparently do, and that’s all that matters.
Not totally made up. Just hate that I allowed myself to enter a poor buying situation , totally my fault! In my defense though, it was a really crazy time for me. Not going to go there. Anyway, fact is yes some more room would be great and also was just thinking if I can clean up the mess I made. some damage control if you will. Already spoke to a dealer that will give me 7% under invoice … But like other”s said, I might just ride it out for at least another year or so. good thing is , I have a high payment that is going mostly to the vehicle which will buy down cost.

TrailScooter

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Jt, 91 F1504x4 and so on...
".... Plus honestly wish I had the all time 4 WD system for extra peace of mind for Florida weather. ".... 🤔

Um, I know how tricky sunshine and pleasant temps can be while driving, but.. What am I missing here????🥴

OP
OP
dshark1

dshark1

First Name
Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLR
".... Plus honestly wish I had the all time 4 WD system for extra peace of mind for Florida weather. ".... 🤔

Um, I know how tricky sunshine and pleasant temps can be while driving, but.. What am I missing here????🥴
I’ve always had full time awd vehicles & I like the way they feel in the rain which we get a bit of in Florida + occasional trips winter time to visit the grand kids up north. Vehicles with awd to me, just feel more planted & stable vs rwd. In my opinion of course.
Sponsored