Sponsored

Jump Ship or What?

RamMan

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport Dsl. / '16 Ram PW / '14 GC Dsl.
Occupation
Transport / Odd Jobs
Ok so I leased my 2dr Rubi 2.0 almost 4 months ago. That was prior to finding this forum, filled with all you wonderful & knowledgeable Jeep brothers. So yeah I paid MSRP & definitely did not get a great deal. Anyway, starting to wish I got a 4dr instead for more practical reasons. By the way, my Jeep will never rock crawl or anything close. So yeah the Rubi is way over kill for my daily driver city needs. Plus honestly wish I had the all time 4 WD system for extra peace of mind for Florida weather. Called the dealer today that I purchased from & asked if he had any 4 doors on the lot… I know now , order for under invoice is the ticket! ( don’t roast me yet) thing is , I don’t have another vehicle to use in meantime. So he told me he has plenty coming in 2 weeks. So I asked how much off msrp is he willing to do for a return customer? His answer was MSRP is the best they can do now & I should go get a price from Carmax & he will try to come as close to that price as he can on my Jeep. So here is the question or questions, Went to Carmax today got offered 47k but I owe about $52k, safe to say 5k Negative. My MSRP was $54k nicely loaded Jeep… With the market being the way it is right now, Is this my time to jump ship? Will I be in a more neg situation after used car prices decrease or better because I have made more payments & brought down my payoff price? Or will my Jeep take a much harder price hit in months too come? Really on the fence about this any input is highly appreciated. I really don’t wanna get screwed that bad again. I’m still kinda soar! 1. sell to Carmax, cut the check for the difference & start a clean slate which will hurt a bit, 2. Trade into dealer for a 4dr & roll some negative into a new lease? 3. Private list it, just suck it up & keep it? Just to add, I will do some more shopping around as far as trying to get a better deal if possible on a new 4dr but dealerships here in Florida r tough to say the least.. Man , I would luv to order & spec it out! the way I want. But that’s probably not in the cards for me. Sorry for the long thread. What to do?
You won't get a better deal than CarMax. I've dealt with them for years. They will buy any car. The ones they keep on there lot are one owners. The rest go to there auction, Mondays. They have always quoted me $1,000 over KBB, individual to individual. Sometimes, I've sold my vehicles to friends for the same price that CarMax offered. You show friends the CarMax offer, & they buy almost every time. About last February, I sold my '18 JLUS, 18,000 Miles to a friend for $29,000. This was the same as CarMax offer. His son couldn't make the payments back to Daddy. Daddy took it back. Daddy didn't like the Punk'in color. Four months later, a Latino woman liked the color. Never having driven any Jeep (no test drive); she bought it for $33,500. He paid me $300 to flatbed haul it 65 miles, to deliver. Her first test drive was to the bank for me to pick up the check. And That's the Truth!

padistedor

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JL, Mustang GT, VW GTI, SubaruSTI
If I was in your situation, I would love what I have for a bit longer. It's crazy to lose $5000 so quickly. You have a really nice Jeep. I expect Jeep Wranglers will continue to hold good resale value as they have in the past.

steverj64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
I haven't read all the replies, just skipped here to page 6. A lot of people want a JEEP, because it is a JEEP. It sounded reading your starter thread like you decided you need more room (4doors) and would like all wheel drive for safety. You may however decide a 4door Wrangler is still small for your needs. JEEP WRANGLER is designed go places where normal vehicles can't normally go, thus there's a lot of versatility packed into a vehicle inherently designed to get through/to tight places.
I don't know what reasoning is you've decided you need the back doors for, but if it's for hauling the kids or dog around I would think you would have noticed accessing the back seat is a little tight before you leased it. However if you just wish you had a little more space in general, I would suggest keeping your JEEP and adding some aftermarket storage. Tons of it for jeeps.
Option 2 if you're dead set on trading it, would be some less expensive vehicle that has the key features you are looking for, so you don't lose as much dough. For whatever reasons, WRANGLERS are very expensive, (as you have discovered ) purpose built vehicles.

Duck Dodgers

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 door
They don't make Wranglers without 4WD. Anyway, OP is talking about 'auto' 4DW, where you don't need to know before you need it to use it.
Not true. Many 2wd, out there.
Sponsored