old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I have a Tesla and a Bmw Z4 neither has a spare tire but again I do carry a flat repair kit and a mini air compressor Tesla and Bmw sells.
My Rubicon has a spare and I will keep it again its a (personal choice).

Do what makes you happy.
Can't you get an extra wheel and tire so you can have a spare for your tesla and bmw ? How are you gonna deal with a flat without one ? At least you will be safer in your Rubicon , and you can use it to tow the tesla or bmw , whilst the flat wheel drags along the road .
Sponsored

Ruby Jack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Roadside assistance will assume you have a spare , correct ? If you don't have a spare , what do you expect roadside assistance to do ? Tow you home to your spare ? If he tows you home to your spare , do you then expect roadside assistance to change your wheel ?

Even funnier , some quick air compressors insert into the power outlets , which will drain your battery in a quick hurry .

Even military tracked vehicles have spare track sections stowed on the side .
When you call roadside assistance they'll ask for what the problem is.

They'll pretty much tow you (within their limit, usually around 10 miles or so depending on your plan) to wherever you prefer. You can ask them to drive you to your home where your spare is or to a tire shop. Don't know if they'll replace the spare for you since I've never had to use it for replacing a spare.

I've had to call them a few times when my battery was dying a few years back and they checked my battery to see if the problem was the battery or the cold weather, when they determined it was the battery, they replaced it on the spot with a new battery and charged me for the battery cost. The service is free, but the stuff they replace isn't.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
When you call roadside assistance they'll ask for what the problem is.

They'll pretty much tow you (within their limit, usually around 10 miles or so depending on your plan) to wherever you prefer. You can ask them to drive you to your home where your spare is or to a tire shop. Don't know if they'll replace the spare for you since I've never had to use it for replacing a spare.

I've had to call them a few times when my battery was dying a few years back and they checked my battery to see if the problem was the battery or the cold weather, when they determined it was the battery, they replaced it on the spot with a new battery and charged me for the battery cost. The service is free, but the stuff they replace isn't.
As a loyal Jeep owner , I always stop to offer assistance to any disabled Jeep . BUT , if they ask me for My spare , because they didn't Feel Like bringing their own spare , I would likely be speechless because of their chutzpah . And if it happened far off the beaten path , I would think them irresponsible .

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Even military tracked vehicles have spare track sections stowed on the side .
And when you manage to get a tracked vehicle stuck, you *really* are stuck.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
All said, the OP asked about a camera and what it looks like without a tire. My 2 cents? It looks funny. When I see a Jeep without the spare, they just don’t look right. The 5th tire makes it look tougher. Take that away and it looks too ... normally.

But that’s just me. Hope you got at least the pics you needed from the others. I shall fade into the bushes...

Sponsored

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
And on the side note of being prepared- I do have to agree: more is better. Waiting for others is pretty much what I teach not to do. I do the disaster prep classes for Dallas and Mansfield, and that would be an example of what we call “being a victim”. Not an insult, as this is coming from someone who carries enough to save a few lives in the back of the Jeep.

Ok, back to the bushes again.

56nomad56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ocean Blue JLU Sahara
I can definitely see pros and cons.

Pros:
- Dozens of pounds of weight removed- better gas mileage
- Better rear window visibility
- Rear area "clean" look
- Most likely would never need the spare anyway

Cons:
- You may be beyond the 10-mile tow radius from your home
- It's after hours and the tire shop is closed
- The tire shop is open but the flat is unrepairable (sidewall damage, etc.) and they don't have a tire that matches the other three
- In my limited experience AAA takes a LONG time to arrive and complete work.

We have two BMWs with RFTs and no spare, a Mazda with a temporary spare, and a Pathfinder with both a full sized spare and a compressor/slime kit. With my luck I'd have a flat as soon as I removed my spare, so if I get my JLU it's staying on. YMMV

Hip2u77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine: '14 JKUR, Hers: '18 JLUR
Whats a decent air compressor to carry around in a Jeep? I'd like one that can air up a tire fast enough, but have a duty cycle that would allow for more than one tire at a time to be aired without the unit having to cool down.
IMO, this is the best for the money. Superflow MV-50 / Masterflow MF-1050. Both are the same, made by Q industries. (Sometimes you can find them at Pep Boys, O'reilly Auto, etc.) I've had 2 since '07. They will fill stock JKUR BFG tires (32s) from 17 to 37 PSI is around 11-12 minutes.) There are definitely faster / better compressors but nothing close for the money (unless it's came out in the last year or two as I haven't kept up on them). These have been the "goto" cheap compressors on a lot of forums for 10 years now. It puts out the same PSI as a $150+ ViAir 400C. (2.62 CFM @ 0PSI)

http://a.co/fzLwAWy

BVGeezer

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU, 1982 FJ40
Occupation
Retired
I’ve had five Jeeps and never a flat. I know taking the spare off permanently is testing fate. But so is the assumption that I can wrestle off a 125 pound 35 inch tire and change it without a high lift jack.

Just looking at alternatives, didn’t want to setup a discussion of spare vs no spare.

Although neither my past Corvettes or Porsches had spares. It’s why I have AAA.
You must never go off road or drive like a little old lady dodging every bit of road debris with x-ray vision. On my 2012 Rubicon, I had three flats and three more unfixable punctures. Three of the six would have required hours of walking and more hours of waiting. Use your brains.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
If you live near a large city and drive on the freeways, you are going to pick up a nail or screw eventually. There's always a lot of building construction and those builders will put their boxes of screws or nails in their trucks and often they are not completely secured and some will bounce out eventually. Hell, just pulling off the road to change a flat will likely subject you to getting another flat from the stuff on the side of the road that has collected there.
Sponsored