Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I am thinking of removing the spare when my new JLUR shows up. Anyone have any ideas on how to deal with the backup camera without the whole spare tire setup? I want the camera, but don't want all the spare hardware, I might want to relocate the license plate to that location with a bumper swap in the plans.
Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
I am thinking of removing the spare when my new JLUR shows up. Anyone have any ideas on how to deal with the backup camera without the whole spare tire setup? I want the camera, but don't want all the spare hardware, I might want to relocate the license plate to that location with a bumper swap in the plans.
So, you're just going to assume / hope that you never get a flat tire?

I've had brand new cars get flats within a month of buying the car. It seems that brand new tires attract sheetrock screws on the roads. :)

OP
OP
BobK

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve had five Jeeps and never a flat. I know taking the spare off permanently is testing fate. But so is the assumption that I can wrestle off a 125 pound 35 inch tire and change it without a high lift jack.

Just looking at alternatives, didn’t want to setup a discussion of spare vs no spare.

Although neither my past Corvettes or Porsches had spares. It’s why I have AAA.

Turfman

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Vehicle Showcase
There is a thread in here that discusses the camera relocation with a new bracket that also moves the license plate under it. Do a search, it seems like I saw it in the last day or two, max

Izzy901

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Grand Cherokee
Only picture I have as my Jeep is getting the winch installed but if you want more/better pictures, I can take some tomorrow. My plate is by JCR Offroad. Just temporary til DV8 releases their body mounted tire carrier. Decided to leave license plate on bumper and ordered this cool black metal jeep plate off Amazon.

532AD22B-3D3E-4655-997C-8DA02663B415.jpeg

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve had five Jeeps and never a flat. I know taking the spare off permanently is testing fate. But so is the assumption that I can wrestle off a 125 pound 35 inch tire and change it without a high lift jack.

Just looking at alternatives, didn’t want to setup a discussion of spare vs no spare.

Although neither my past Corvettes or Porsches had spares. It’s why I have AAA.
My experience has been that I can change a spare tire quicker than AAA can arrive there by quite a margin.

The Turbo Cayenne that I used to have did not have a spare tire -- they figured that buyers would prefer a subwoofer, a can of fix-a-flat, and an air compressor more. And thanks to the stupid low profile tires that were on it, when it did have a flat, it was because of hitting a pothole and BOTH tires on that side ended up with quarter-size holes in the sidewall, so a single spare would not have done any good anyway. In such situations, the car should come equipped with a cold 6-pack of beer since that is definitely more useful than a single spare or the fix-a-flat / air-compressor option. OK, make that a 12-pack of beer if you are waiting for AAA to arrive. :) Luckily, I was only a few blocks from home and I could just limp home at very slow speed on the neighborhood / subdivision streets.

OP
OP
BobK

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Only picture I have as my Jeep is getting the winch installed but if you want more/better pictures, I can take some tomorrow. My plate is by JCR Offroad. Just temporary til DV8 releases their body mounted tire carrier. Decided to leave license plate on bumper and ordered this cool black metal jeep plate off Amazon.

hard to tell from the dark image, but does that plate support the backup camera? I can see the cable behind the plate, but can't make out the camera.

Izzy901

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Grand Cherokee
hard to tell from the dark image, but does that plate support the backup camera? I can see the cable behind the plate, but can't make out the camera.
Yes. It’s mounted right above the two e’s in Jeep.

OP
OP
BobK

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My experience has been that I can change a spare tire quicker than AAA can arrive there by quite a margin.

The Turbo Cayenne that I used to have did not have a spare tire -- they figured that buyers would prefer a subwoofer, a can of fix-a-flat, and an air compressor more. And thanks to the stupid low profile tires that were on it, when it did have a flat, it was because of hitting a pothole and BOTH tires on that side ended up with quarter-size holes in the sidewall, so a single spare would not have done any good anyway. In such situations, the car should come equipped with a cold 6-pack of beer since that is definitely more useful than a single spare or the fix-a-flat / air-compressor option. OK, make that a 12-pack of beer if you are waiting for AAA to arrive. :) Luckily, I was only a few blocks from home and I could just limp home at very slow speed on the neighborhood / subdivision streets.
i agree on the speed of AAA's arrival. The last time I had a flat, the shop that balanced and rotated my tires chose to spin the lug nuts back on using the torque required to hold a submarine together. Those bolts were not coming off by human hand nor foot. In fact, my adult son was with me and with two grown men holding a X lug wrench (one pushing and one pulling) the lugs could not be budged. AAA towed the car to the dealer and I had them take the lugs off and use a torque wrench the next time to put them on properly the next time.

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
In fact, my adult son was with me and with two grown men holding a X lug wrench (one pushing and one pulling) the lugs could not be budged.
That's why you Remove them Counter-clockwise ; not clockwise .

OP
OP
BobK

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Holy crap, that was the problem!!!

OP
OP
BobK

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase

I just watched the install video from JCR Offroad for this license plate frame (spare delete). Pretty interesting.

https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/JL-MISC/JL-TGCD-PC.html

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
i agree on the speed of AAA's arrival. The last time I had a flat, the shop that balanced and rotated my tires chose to spin the lug nuts back on using the torque required to hold a submarine together. Those bolts were not coming off by human hand nor foot. In fact, my adult son was with me and with two grown men holding a X lug wrench (one pushing and one pulling) the lugs could not be budged. AAA towed the car to the dealer and I had them take the lugs off and use a torque wrench the next time to put them on properly the next time.
I've never had a lug nut that was on so tight that I couldn't remove it. I have had ones that were rusted so tight that the lug stud twisted off and the nut stayed attached to the broken piece of stud. You don't need brute force, just technique. You might be surprised how easily even really stuck nuts will come off (or the bolt shear off) with a 4 ft cheater bar. Let's say that you put the 4 ft cheater bar on the end of the lug wrench and put all your weight on it. If you weigh 200 lbs, you're putting 800 ft-lbs of torque on it. If you need more than that, then get a longer cheater bar (or eat a few more cheeseburgers). :)

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
You don't need brute force, just technique. You might be surprised how easily even really stuck nuts will come off (or the bolt shear off) with a 4 ft cheater bar. Let's say that you put the 4 ft cheater bar on the end of the lug wrench and put all your weight on it. If you weigh 200 lbs, you're putting 800 ft-lbs of torque on it. If you need more than that, then get a longer cheater bar.
That is exactly Why we all carry around both 4' and 6' cheater bars , just in case .

They are also very useful to pry our Jeeps off of big rocks when they get stuck on top .
Sponsored