Making the Cigarette Lighter "HOT" without the key

Stacey616

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Has anyone made their front 12V "HOT" all the time? We tow our Jeep 4 down behind our RV and we use a braking system that requires being plugged into a 12V. We currently run it to the back which is always hot but would prefer not to do this as it is a pain! Has anyone done this and if so can you share what you did?
Sponsored

JohnRLewis

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Has anyone made their front 12V "HOT" all the time? We tow our Jeep 4 down behind our RV and we use a braking system that requires being plugged into a 12V. We currently run it to the back which is always hot but would prefer not to do this as it is a pain! Has anyone done this and if so can you share what you did?
I'm in the middle of setting up our new Rubicon to serve as our toad. I added an additional 12V always on plug right next to the OBD jack under the driver's side dash. It gets its power from the 10amp always on wire (red/white) from the Aux Switch option wiring bundle hidden under the passenger side dash.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
OK hang on here.
I tried this with my 21 Jl. I ran an always hot 12 socket from the battery. It works great for powering my braking system but I found my brake lights do not work unless the ignition is set to acc.
How do you get your brake lights to work with ignition off?

Sponsored

Upsidwn

First Name
Mat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Not sure if it helps but the cig plug in the back you can switch from being a constant 12v source to ignition controlled 12v by moving the fuse in the box for it under the hood.

Down South

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
OK hang on here.
I tried this with my 21 Jl. I ran an always hot 12 socket from the battery. It works great for powering my braking system but I found my brake lights do not work unless the ignition is set to acc.
How do you get your brake lights to work with ignition off?
My tail, signal and brake lights are powered from the motorhome through the wiring harness I installed. It wouldn't matter what position the switch is in. The lights will work the same as the motorhome.

On the constant power source, I would run a fused circuit from the battery to a new receptacle. Mount the new receptacle somewhere it looks nice or tuck it under the dash when not used.

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
My tail, signal and brake lights are powered from the motorhome through the wiring harness I installed. It wouldn't matter what position the switch is in. The lights will work the same as the motorhome.

On the constant power source, I would run a fused circuit from the battery to a new receptacle. Mount the new receptacle somewhere it looks nice or tuck it under the dash when not used.
Thanks. Yeah I went out and tested it again. Working fine now with the ignition off. No idea what I was doing wrong before. The line from the battery is fused. 👍🏻
Thank you Sir.
Sponsored