Sponsored

JLU soft top

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Just purchased JLU Sport Altitude on 7/31.

This is not a daily driver for the foreseeable future. I am now interested in a premium soft top, as I popped the hard top off the 1st day.

Unfortunately, I see that the Dual Top group was an $1,100 upgrade but to purchase now aftermarket would be about $2,400.

Is there a difference in these 2 soft tops? Having difficulty understanding the significant price difference if it's the same product.

The dealer is offering to sell me the premium soft top for $1,600. Again, the price difference is difficult to accept.

This is our 1st Wrangler, should I just hold out until next year to find a discount on this soft top?

Thanks for the information.
Sponsored

jjiswhoiam

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara Mojito! 2.0t, 2016 Lexus RC350 F-sport
Just purchased JLU Sport Altitude on 7/31.

This is not a daily driver for the foreseeable future. I am now interested in a premium soft top, as I popped the hard top off the 1st day.

Unfortunately, I see that the Dual Top group was an $1,100 upgrade but to purchase now aftermarket would be about $2,400.

Is there a difference in these 2 soft tops? Having difficulty understanding the significant price difference if it's the same product.

The dealer is offering to sell me the premium soft top for $1,600. Again, the price difference is difficult to accept.

This is our 1st Wrangler, should I just hold out until next year to find a discount on this soft top?

Thanks for the information.
1600 is a pretty good deal for the premium top. I did not get the dual top package, but I was fortunate enough to buy one from a member who got the dual top package on marketplace for 1200. The material on the twill vs sail cloth is the biggest difference. The twill (premium) is supposed to be better with noise and heating/cooling.

OP
OP

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1600 is a pretty good deal for the premium top. I did not get the dual top package, but I was fortunate enough to buy one from a member who got the dual top package on marketplace for 1200. The material on the twill vs sail cloth is the biggest difference. The twill (premium) is supposed to be better with noise and heating/cooling.

With the Dual Top package, is the top the twill or the sail cloth? My understanding was that it is the twill. Which still makes me question the cost more than doubling if not ordered in the Dual Top package.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

jjiswhoiam

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With the Dual Top package, is the top the twill or the sail cloth? My understanding was that it is the twill. Which still makes me question the cost more than doubling if not ordered in the Dual Top package.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
No problem. The dual package top is the twill top. Part 82215146

OP
OP

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No problem. The dual package top is the twill top. Part 82215146
Thanks, that's the part number I found. Again, the mark-up is killing me.

I will continue to search the marketplace.

Wish there was a creative invoicing method to get one from the dealer for the $1100!!

Sponsored

jjiswhoiam

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, that's the part number I found. Again, the mark-up is killing me.

I will continue to search the marketplace.

Wish there was a creative invoicing method to get one from the dealer for the $1100!!
If only..... lol. I kept looking for a few weeks. Some people post them for up to 1800 on the marketplace (more than the dealer is charging you), but once in a while you’ll see some decently priced ones.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
The jeep comes with a soft top. When you order the dual top group you're paying for the hard top plus the up charge for the premium top over the standard. That's why it's significantly more to buy outright over the dual top group.

M1kefries

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Be patient and keep an eye on the forum. Lots of folks started at $2200 selling their take off premium soft tops. Asking prices have come down over time and seem tone about $1500-1600 now. It took almost a year of watching, but got mine for $1200 locally, which I consider a reasonable deal. As time goes on I think this will be the price it stabilizes at.

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Just got mine from a member for $1100

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
Unfortunately I paid $1700 for my premium soft top, I’d grab the one from the dealer and enjoy every minute of it. Had mine on since April and only put it up once or twice due to rain or extreme heat, it’s great and very easy to install and use!

Sponsored

TrewJL

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
CEO
Theres always the NX from Bestop, I bought the twill and I like it.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
The jeep comes with a soft top. When you order the dual top group you're paying for the hard top plus the up charge for the premium top over the standard. That's why it's significantly more to buy outright over the dual top group.
This /\ … or to rephrase, when @word302 says, "the up charge.." think of it this way @7474

… any time you or a top at the point of building your rig, above and beyond the basic soft top, you are effectively giving back to FCA that standard and basic soft top to use on another rig's build, an earn yourself a credit towards the purchase of another OEM top(s).

Since after rig purchase of OEM tops doesn't involve this credit, you're apt to pay more.

Still more, as stated, the Dual top purchase comes with the premium and more expensive soft top as compared to the basic soft top standard with purchase--so there's that cost differential of basic versus premium soft top as well.

KrispyKotex

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Rubicon Snazzberry
Occupation
USN Submariner (ret), IT Analyst/Network Engineer
Keep searching the member marketplace on this forum. I found a practically brand new premium (twill) soft top for $1100. Very easy to install too. I was going to go with an aftermarket top, but the twill factory top uses less hardware, installs to factory holes, etc., and is actually good quality.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I picked one up locally for $700, it was the premium top. I haven't seen one priced like that since but if you keep your eyes open you can find something reasonable.
Sponsored