Sponsored

JLU Soft Top

HsyJeeps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon
Hey all - I had a soft top on my
YJ, but have had hard top on my JL. The new rubicon I just got has soft top. So my question is, when you pull back the sunrider top, do you have to secure it or does it just sit back?
Sorry for basic question.
Sponsored

jeepster345

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
The manual suggests securing it, and you’re supplied velcro straps to do so, but I’ve driven up to 60 with it just flipped back and haven’t had an issue. I can’t see how it would move due to the down force of the wind. Some also say the straps are to prevent it from bouncing and wearing a hole in the top, but I haven’t had that happen either.

OP
OP
HsyJeeps

HsyJeeps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon
The manual suggests securing it, and you’re supplied velcro straps to do so, but I’ve driven up to 60 with it just flipped back and haven’t had an issue. I can’t see how it would move due to the down force of the wind. Some also say the straps are to prevent it from bouncing and wearing a hole in the top, but I haven’t had that happen either.
Thanks! I didn’t find any straps in the Jeep which really drove
The question.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
What Hunter said. :)

With the top folded back in the Sunrider position, I stopped using the provided straps after I concluded they weren't really making a difference either way.

@HsyJeeps
Did you look in the jack storage compartment to see if the straps were stowed therein? I received two pairs (one elastic, one hook & loop) with my JLU at delivery.

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase

Ricky-Tips

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy’s Edition
I use two 24 inch black Velcro straps to hold my top from bouncing when all the way back. The black straps blend right in and are about $137.00 cheaper than the $139.00 boot. More $ for other stuff I guess...lol.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I use two 24 inch black Velcro straps to hold my top from bouncing when all the way back. The black straps blend right in and are about $137.00 cheaper than the $139.00 boot. More $ for other stuff I guess...lol.
Dude $137.00 for 2 straps? You got ripped off. Lol. I’m guessing your strap price is a mistake.
When I had the duel tops I rarely even used those Velcro straps they give you. It’s scientifically impossible for the top to come forward while driving.
I would however have bought that boot for winter soft top storage.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Dude $137.00 for 2 straps? You got ripped off. Lol. I’m guessing your strap price is a mistake.
When I had the duel tops I rarely even used those Velcro straps they give you. It’s scientifically impossible for the top to come forward while driving.
I would however have bought that boot for winter soft top storage.
Ricky-Tips said: " I use two 24 inch black Velcro straps to hold my top from bouncing when all the way back. The black straps blend right in and are about $137.00 cheaper than the $139.00 boot. More $ for other stuff I guess...lol. "

He paid $2 for the Velcro straps.

Cal3san

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2118 3.6L Sport S
I bought a used '18 JLU that, naturally, didn't have the straps. Found a set of 3 water hose retention Velcro straps ( 24" long) that does the job. Cost $3.97 at Home Depot.

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Ricky-Tips said: " I use two 24 inch black Velcro straps to hold my top from bouncing when all the way back. The black straps blend right in and are about $137.00 cheaper than the $139.00 boot. More $ for other stuff I guess...lol. "

He paid $2 for the Velcro straps.
You’re right Mike. I read it to fast. My bad.

OP
OP
HsyJeeps

HsyJeeps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon
We've never tied the sunrider back
Thanks for all the feedback - I had it back this weekend and was going about 70mph on highway. Not sure it was the best idea and may need to read the manual. The drag alone was not great...

Mike

omg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
i initially used velcro, it worked fine.

I switched to softtop boot for few reasons, I personally liked the sleeker look, i noticed softtop [without boot] collected dust/debris inside quiet a bit. cover sort of helped with that. [its a minor inconvenience and may be even just me], didnt like that it freely flopped when going at highway speeds.

without and with cover [not the greatest picture, but definitely looks sleeker in person IMO]

Jeep Wrangler JL JLU Soft Top softto

Mcwilldo

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Sahara
what brand boot do you have? I have read the besttop one is very hard to install.
Sponsored