MountainGurl

MountainGurl

First Name
Laurie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I literally had this exact thing happen to my JLU Rubicon. Picked it up on a Friday, on Tuesday, while I was accelerating from a stop, the rear window exploded with no apparent cause (sounded like a shotgun went off behind my head). <300 miles on my JLU Rubicon -built in July. No apparent cause. Got it replaced and have not had an issue since. Not sure if it was bad glass, bad install or bad luck... Luckily, no deductible in MN!

IMG_2016.jpeg
How long ago did you have it replaced? I am going to the Jeep dealer in the morning. Thanks.

MrTomberlin

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is hard to see but 3 weeks after picking up my JLUR the driver side back door window (the small fixed window) just shattered while we were driving in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma on a road trip no vechiles, or civilization within sight. Jeep dealership said it had to be a rock from my left front tire.

5BE829B7-6818-4142-B2CA-C3AFB7929C65.png

Last edited:

Sponsored

MrTomberlin

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry my mistake I meant the drivers side front wheel. I will correct if possible in my original post. LOL that was funny Bri_BKT.

OP
OP
MountainGurl

MountainGurl

First Name
Laurie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well the warranty claim is underway! I have a claim number. Everyone agrees this one is a doozy and it may take a while to get Chrysler to accept the claim, an inspection is likely needed but as pointed out it's hard to prove what happened when the evidence is in a million pieces. It's stored at a local dealer (Sahara CJDR) awaiting inspection.

This comes at the worst time ever as I am scheduled to go on my first-ever trail ride in my new JLU Rubi THIS SATURDAY! It's a 20- mile beginner's run through three beautiful areas near Las Vegas, put on by the Desert Wranglers and limited to 22 vehicles. If Chrysler can complete their warranty inspection by Thursday afternoon, the dealer can clean up the car on Friday and I can take it on the Saturday run sans back window.

I've asked both Chrysler Warranty Customer Support and JeepCares to help expedite the inspection, so that I don't wind up missing my first trail ride in my new Jeep because of Jeep.

Will keep you posted!

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Well the warranty claim is underway! I have a claim number. Everyone agrees this one is a doozy and it may take a while to get Chrysler to accept the claim, an inspection is likely needed but as pointed out it's hard to prove what happened when the evidence is in a million pieces. It's stored at a local dealer (Sahara CJDR) awaiting inspection.

This comes at the worst time ever as I am scheduled to go on my first-ever trail ride in my new JLU Rubi THIS SATURDAY! It's a 20- mile beginner's run through three beautiful areas near Las Vegas, put on by the Desert Wranglers and limited to 22 vehicles. If Chrysler can complete their warranty inspection by Thursday afternoon, the dealer can clean up the car on Friday and I can take it on the Saturday run sans back window.

I've asked both Chrysler Warranty Customer Support and JeepCares to help expedite the inspection, so that I don't wind up missing my first trail ride in my new Jeep because of Jeep.

Will keep you posted!
Hey, good news.

If you end up running with no back window, please be sure to keep your front windows open, too, so that your cabin doesn't become toxic with carbon monoxide. (Manual actually specifically states not to run with back window open for this reason.)

Good luck with your claim!

Sponsored

OP
OP
MountainGurl

MountainGurl

First Name
Laurie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can't think of one beautiful area near Vegas ; closest would be Flagstaff .
The beginner's run is to
Can't think of one beautiful area near Vegas ; closest would be Flagstaff .
The newbie ride goes through Kodachrome, Lava Gulch and Rainbow Gardens. Then there's Red Rocks National Monument.

OP
OP
MountainGurl

MountainGurl

First Name
Laurie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Will keep you posted!
UPDATE: Well things are NOT going well. I took my JLU Rubi to Sahara CJDR in Las Vegas Tuesday morning to begin the warranty process. They filed a warranty claim Tuesday around Noon. As of five minutes ago, Chrysler has not even RESPONDED to my dealer's warranty claim.

Chrysler Warranty Customer Support (800-992-1997) first told me there was nothing they could do. Then they said they would attempt to have my claim expedited. I have also begged JeepCares in our ongoing PM about this issue to do what they can to get this expedited. My dealer is also trying to expedite through their channels.

But... in the meantime... my 2,500 miles-on-it JLU Rubi is sitting in a secure area of the dealership, because we know that Chrysler will want to physically inspect it. I can't continue to drive it because the remaining evidence would slowly chip away. Until this is determined to be a warranty issue, there is no free courtesy car. SO I HAVE NO RIDE UNTIL CHRYSLER INSPECTS MY JEEP. Which ISN'T currently on their radar because they have NOT RESPONDED to my warranty claim.

AND I will have to miss my planned first trail ride in my new Jeep -- the Desert Wranglers' Beginner's Run -- BECAUSE I HAVE NOT JEEP, THANKS TO JEEP. THANKS JEEP (not)!

I am NOT happy to be a member of the Jeep family right now.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
UPDATE: Well things are NOT going well. I took my JLU Rubi to Sahara CJDR in Las Vegas Tuesday morning to begin the warranty process. They filed a warranty claim Tuesday around Noon. As of five minutes ago, Chrysler has not even RESPONDED to my dealer's warranty claim.

Chrysler Warranty Customer Support (800-992-1997) first told me there was nothing they could do. Then they said they would attempt to have my claim expedited. I have also begged JeepCares in our ongoing PM about this issue to do what they can to get this expedited. My dealer is also trying to expedite through their channels.

But... in the meantime... my 2,500 miles-on-it JLU Rubi is sitting in a secure area of the dealership, because we know that Chrysler will want to physically inspect it. I can't continue to drive it because the remaining evidence would slowly chip away. Until this is determined to be a warranty issue, there is no free courtesy car. SO I HAVE NO RIDE UNTIL CHRYSLER INSPECTS MY JEEP. Which ISN'T currently on their radar because they have NOT RESPONDED to my warranty claim.

AND I will have to miss my planned first trail ride in my new Jeep -- the Desert Wranglers' Beginner's Run -- BECAUSE I HAVE NOT JEEP, THANKS TO JEEP. THANKS JEEP (not)!

I am NOT happy to be a member of the Jeep family right now.
Well , there are 2 better possibilities if FCA denies your rear window warranty claim :

(1) Find a competent dealer or auto glass shop to replace your window , and then send the bill to FCA ;

(2) Take a commuter plane to Flagstaff for the weekend .

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
FCA is replacing all those rear windows that had the defroster wire solder connection detach. What’s a few more to replace the exploding ones?

I have a feeling FCA will be in short supply this winter when owners first try to use their rear defroster to no avail. Better get that glass while you can.

TwoTone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Legacy, Flex
A rock can easily be thrown forward by a vehicle tire. Whatever happened, it may be impossible to tell. Not sure why the default position is Jeep's fault.
Because the Physics of a rock getting thrown forward into a rear window thats traveling at 75 MPH is highly unlikely.
Sponsored