JLU Rubi Rear Window Implosion!

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
This wouldn't have happened if she had a soft top .

Therefore Jeep ought to remove her hardtop , and install a free soft top for her .

Problem solved .
Yeah, a soft top would be a good solution for getting a window installed quickly, but I doubt she want's to replace her $1K option with a soft top that comes standard for no extra cost. I know I wouldn't. Although, you're right, the soft top would be a quick solution to get out to that trail ride.
Sponsored

Blown7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 Hellcat powered CJ7..... 2007 Jeep SRT8...2018 Trackhawk
AND... then shell out an extra $1K on top of massive moving and house-selling expenses... I WILL SAY IT LOUD AND PROUD. JEEP SUCKS.
Sorry to say there some people who will try to blame the manufacturer for everything that goes wrong. ..I think given what you have written are just overwhelmed with life... and despite good advice to just take an insurance claim chose to blame the manufacturer. ..

If you really think in your hearts of hearts Jeep sucks... move on...
You seem to be the kind of person that will never be satisfied. ..no matter what you drive.

LoganDzwon

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
That is true, IF it's poor manufacturing. The problem though is if it's thermal breakage, or a result of the magic rock, it's not a manufacturing issue. In which case, Jeep shouldn't pay for it, the insurance should.
Are seriously arguing that driving an JL down a straight road and/or having it outside durning the daytime is outside the intended uses the warrenteer intended the vechile to be used for? Because your ENTIRE argument hinges on that you believe one or both of those activities is beyond what a consumer should reasonably expect from their purchase. Even if that was true, tr act the sales brochure shows the Jeep doing both activities entirely negates that idea. Jeep explicitly advertises the 2018 new Wrangler as being able to do both activities, at the same time no less. They also explicitly warranty that major parts will not catistriphocly fail while doing so. This is absolutely, 100% without question a warranty issue. I’m fact, it might arguably NOT be an insurable loss because of that.

(If you want to get technical legally, the insurance company would consider this a single driver, at fault accident. They would then have to perform an internal investigation and decide if she caused it by her own fault, or if someone else’s negligence causes her to cause it. Unless they choose to believe she did something she claims she didn’t, [like having one of the bikes, or something else in the vechile impact the window,] then they would likely sue FCA themself to recoup their payout. )

D52E786E-924C-4F23-A276-1D23032C397F.png

LoganDzwon

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Although, you're right, the soft top would be a quick solution to get out to that trail ride.
If read through the whole thread first, she didn’t need it repaired before the ride. She needed them to complete their investigation within four days so she could go on the ride. They didn’t... they ignored her multiple requests to expedite initial evaluation so that the broken glass could be removed.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
If read through the whole thread first, she didn’t need it repaired before the ride. She needed them to complete their investigation within four days so she could go on the ride. They didn’t... they ignored her multiple requests to expedite initial evaluation so that the broken glass could be removed.
She says she interacted with three dealers , requested a warranty claim to fca , and she has not been given a loaner . She has 3 valid complaints : rear window shattering , no loaner , and fca nonresponsive . She has every right to be disappointed (at a minimum ) .

If Jeep cannot install , or replace , proper glass in their hardtops , then they owe her a free softtop . Simple .

Flying glass is also a safety issue , by the way , and is no laughing matter .

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
This thread is to a point, where it is laughable.. the stuff people spew......... oh my.......................

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
This thread is to a point, where it is laughable.. the stuff people spew......... oh my.......................
NASA has nothing on us. If they funded this forum we would get a Jeep in Jupiter in no time. :idea::cwl:

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Are seriously arguing that driving an JL down a straight road and/or having it outside durning the daytime is outside the intended uses the warrenteer intended the vechile to be used for? Because your ENTIRE argument hinges on that you believe one or both of those activities is beyond what a consumer should reasonably expect from their purchase....
I think you misunderstand me.
I didn't mean to imply, driving down a straight road is outside the intended use of the vehicle. I'm not even sure how you would get to that conclusion, but you've clearly misunderstood me (or I wasn't articulate enough).
I'm also not making an argument for warranty or insurance. I think you've misinterpreted my reply. My point was that if it's a manufacturer defect, then yes warranty should cover it. However, if it's not a manufacturer defect, the insurance should cover it. Based on my experience, and related research, I suspect thermal breakage which is an act of nature and not generally a defect. Research is done on this concern by glass manufacturers in home, business and automotive industries. Glass can, and will, break without any other influence than the sun if the conditions are just right. Obviously the glass manufacturers try to develop their products to prevent this, and they are quite effective, but they can't prevent it all together. That said, if the pane was defective then it's absolutely a defect and warranty should/would cover it. If the pane wasn't defective, and it was just the perfect storm of conditions that caused the glass to fail then it's a natural occurrence, and the insurance should/would cover it. The later being similar to insurance fixing/replacing the Jeep if a tree fell on it after a gust of wind. Natural incidents do occur, an the insurance generally covers them (depending on policy coverage), and it's not deemed an at fault cause. It's deemed an act of nature, or act of god (depending on how the company words it).

So all that to say. If it's a natural occurrence, it's not Jeeps fault and the insurance should cover it. If the glass was faulty, then it's a defective product and the warranty should cover it.

The reason I mention the straight level road (because the OP did) is to point out that there were no torsion stresses on the Jeep. If a hardtop can withstand off roading, it can easily withstand driving down the road. I highly doubt there were enough stresses from driving on the street to support a manufacturer defect from stresses related to driving. I certainly wasn't saying the Jeep isn't intended, or capable, of driving on the road.

I did read the whole thread, and yes I saw she mentioned taking the trip "sans back window". I was simply agreeing to the post that mentioned using a soft top, that installing one would have been a good option to take the trip without waiting for new back glass. Not that she needed the repair done before then. I understand that she was waiting on the investigation.

Last edited:

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Laurie, I know your last post didn't sound very promising, but have they gotten back to you yet?

OP
OP
MountainGurl

MountainGurl

First Name
Laurie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
NOV 26 UPDATE: FCA cancelled my case without comment, without contacting my dealer, and without addressing any of the four warranty issues raised with my claim. Further, the number provided to me by the dealership now claims not to take care of warranty issues, though they were happy to help me the first time.

FCA SUCKS! And so they opened another case for me. La de da... this is so disappointing!

Do you think they will do anything at all? Or am I just screwed by FCA. What about my warranty issues?

I never, in my wildest dreams, thought that anything like this could happen when I bought a brand new $50K car.

I am actually SOOOOOO sorry I bought my Rubi! Just looking at it makes me want to cry.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Markham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara High Altitude
Sorry to say there some people who will try to blame the manufacturer for everything that goes wrong. ..I think given what you have written are just overwhelmed with life... and despite good advice to just take an insurance claim chose to blame the manufacturer. ..

If you really think in your hearts of hearts Jeep sucks... move on...
You seem to be the kind of person that will never be satisfied. ..no matter what you drive.
Agreed.

If there is a manufacturing defect it’s likely to be happening to more vehicles. It doesn’t just happen to one or two. Another frivolous lawsuit coming...

OP
OP
MountainGurl

MountainGurl

First Name
Laurie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Agreed.

If there is a manufacturing defect it’s likely to be happening to more vehicles. It doesn’t just happen to one or two. Another frivolous lawsuit coming...
I have not posted on this thread in months. The window is fixed and I have moved on. You should, too.

I am taking this thread off of my watch list so I don't have to be sideswiped by well-after-the fact opinions.
This is DONE.

U B Jeep

First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Heard what sounded like a gunshot and the rear window of my 18' JLU exploded everywhere. I have been using the defrost more due to Temps in the teens and 20's but still have never had this happen in a cold Kansas winter. Dealership says they have never heard of such a thing although it appears to be happening frequently. Initially defrost didn't work when we purchased the JL and had to be "fixed" multiple times before it was correct now we are wondering if that played into it.
18JLwindow.jpg

Cary J

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon and 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Someone just told me about this thread. This just happened to me yesterday.

Driving down a smooth road. No one in front or behind me. The weather was calm. My windows were down and my rear hatch window was closed.

I heard a loud bang almost like a shotgun. Looked back and my window was gone. The window imploded as the majority of the glass was inside my Jeep. I had glass all the way in the front seat. I had a small cabinet in the back but nowhere near the window and it was not against the door.
Jeep Wrangler JL JLU Rubi Rear Window Implosion! 2333AB49-6DF1-457D-889A-6DBE6BC9A277
Jeep Wrangler JL JLU Rubi Rear Window Implosion! 3400EA57-41D0-4F93-8318-092266863646
Jeep Wrangler JL JLU Rubi Rear Window Implosion! 2A15E536-B584-41BA-A390-C152C862DE29
Jeep Wrangler JL JLU Rubi Rear Window Implosion! 83D7ECA4-F24C-40FA-9A06-5B9CB94E0FE7
Jeep Wrangler JL JLU Rubi Rear Window Implosion! 0DE6C8D7-16AF-4F1E-B02D-117028E11864

Last edited: