JLU Rubi Rear Window Implosion!

MountainGurl

First Name
Laurie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
On our relocation trip from Colorado to Las Vegas yesterday, the rear window of my 2018 JLU Rubi suddenly imploded with a mighty CRASH! We suspect a rock got kicked up and sucked back into the window... but I wouldn't expect that to destroy it. Insurance covers the repair (after $1K deductible, grrr...) but I thought I'd post here just in case anyone else has experienced this (hoping not). Is this a defect or just an unfortunate occurrence?

IMG_20181111_130244411.jpg

IMG_20181111_130252888.jpg

IMG_20181111_130329745_HDR.jpg
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@MountainGurl

By chance did you have the rear window up / open and driving with same, at the time of the breakage?

OP
OP
MountainGurl

MountainGurl

First Name
Laurie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@MountainGurl

By chance did you have the rear window up / open and driving with same, at the time of the breakage?
NOPE. We were driving west on I-70 at about 75 MPH (speed limit), with the back full of soft items and NOTHING touching or even near the rear window.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
First I’ve read of this happening, without an absolute reason known. Hopefully it’s just a fluke thing, and that it won’t take long to get a replacement.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
That was a big problem on the model of F-150 I had that I traded for this JL. Turns out the rear defroster would malfunction and superheat the glass which would then randomly explode. It was so rampant on those trucks that owners started a class action suit but didn't get anywhere with it. This is the first JL I've seen that happen on though. Wild!

Sponsored

Ma$$iveDebtAche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Looks like you had a bike rack. Is it possible the handlebars or the basket (on the front of one bike) turned and hit the glass?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Where you driving under any overpasses? Maybe someone with a BB gun? I have herd of that happening.

OP
OP
MountainGurl

MountainGurl

First Name
Laurie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That was a big problem on the model of F-150 I had that I traded for this JL. Turns out the rear defroster would malfunction and superheat the glass which would then randomly explode. It was so rampant on those trucks that owners started a class action suit but didn't get anywhere with it. This is the first JL I've seen that happen on though. Wild!
That's the only thing that makes any sense at all. I am taking it to a dealer on Tuesday and insisting on a warranty repair. The rock theory just doesn't make sense... when does a rock ever cycle backwards instead of forward? There were no cars in front or behind me for 1/2 mile, it was a flat, straight road... NOTHING HAPPENED and the rear window just exploded!

Sponsored

OP
OP
MountainGurl

MountainGurl

First Name
Laurie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks like you had a bike rack. Is it possible the handlebars or the basket (on the front of one bike) turned and hit the glass?
There is no possibility of that. Not only were the bikes behind the spare tire so at the closest point about 18" from the back window, they are on a bottom-mount rack on which, when they are clamped in, they do not move AT ALL. Not like the top-hanging racks on which the bikes can swing forwards and back. (We take our bikes a lot of places, and so know how to carry them safely.) Clamped down firmly, the bikes along with the spare would help to block any rocks that defied the laws of physics and bounced forward. The bike rack is NOT the problem. PLUS we were on a straight, flat road with the closest leading and following cars about half a mile ahead/behind. Not even a significant wind. It was flat, calm, straight and wonderful... until my back window SIMPLY EXPLODED.

OP
OP
MountainGurl

MountainGurl

First Name
Laurie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Where you driving under any overpasses? Maybe someone with a BB gun? I have herd of that happening.
Actually we were in the middle of a stretch of I-70 in western Colorado where there are no services for 100 miles. No overpasses, flat road, no turns, no wind, nothing at all and nobody lives for more than 50 miles in any direction. Besides a "BB gun" should leave a pock-mark in the window, maybe just bounce off. They don't generally even break normal window glass.

This was NOT in a city, it was literally in the middle of nowhere where NOTHING happened that moment except my BACK WINDOW JUST EXPLODED.

Blown7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 Hellcat powered CJ7..... 2007 Jeep SRT8...2018 Trackhawk
Glass should be covered by your insurance company. Warantee won't cover the repair.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Agree, rocks are kicked backwards. Likewise, rocks.arent kicked forward, from other cars, on the freeway.
only two things come to mind.
1.Overtightened hinges on the window, stressed the glass, and the constant vibration caused a stress crack. The glass is also made to shatter when it breaks. So, there is one option.
2. Less likely, the rear window defroster overheating.

Last edited:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
That's the only thing that makes any sense at all. I am taking it to a dealer on Tuesday and insisting on a warranty repair. The rock theory just doesn't make sense... when does a rock ever cycle backwards instead of forward? There were no cars in front or behind me for 1/2 mile, it was a flat, straight road... NOTHING HAPPENED and the rear window just exploded!
A rock can easily be thrown forward by a vehicle tire. Whatever happened, it may be impossible to tell. Not sure why the default position is Jeep's fault.
Sponsored