mergedown

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
THE DEFINITIVE SOLUTION to install brake control WITHOUT dash error lights
To add a bit of credibility - I am a RVDA Certified Technician (camper mechanic) and work at the largest RV dealer in central Wisconsin. We install a TON of brake controls, and I have a strong electrical background and understanding. I own a 2019 JLUR with factory tow.

From what I can tell NO ONE makes a brake control wiring harness for the 2018-2019 Jeep Wrangler (new body style) w/ factory tow pkg.

Curt lists one (51458)– but I have confirmed that it is incorrectly pinned and will not work.

The reason none of the existing harnesses will work is the same as the problem that plagued the 2013-2014 Dodge Ram 1500 trucks that took tekonsha 3 years to develop a harness that wouldn’t fry the truck computer… When manually operating the brake control – the controller will send voltage back into the dark side of the brake light switch to activate the vehicle and trailer brake lights. On a 13-14 RAM, the “switch” isnt a switch… it’s a computer. Send power into it where it doesn’t belong and you got a new stinky paperweight. The harness that tekonsha developed has a diode (check valve for electrical) in-line on the brake signal wire (red). This allows the vehicle to send power to activate the brake control, but prevents the brake control from sending power back to the vehicle to activate the lights on override.

Several of you have found that the Tekonsha 3014 harness works! ...well, until your dash lit up like a Christmas tree...
The 3014 harness has the correct plug and the correct pinout - that's why it works, but it is missing the diode that is required to block the brake control from sending voltage back into the computer.
I have EVERY tekonsha quick harness in stock. I grabbed a 3014 and confirmed it to plug into my jeep. Then I pulled every harness with the correct vehicle side plugin and compared...

My findings are;

The 3014 harness is a direct fit – but does not have a diode.

The 3021 harness fits – it needs the black and blue wires swapped and also does not have a diode.

The 3023 harness will not fit as it has two separate connectors. (a separate connector is used for the brake signal wire)

The 3024 harness fits – it needs the black and blue wires swapped and ALREADY HAS A DIODE INSTALLED!

The 3065 harness fits – the whole pinout is messed up, it’s intended for a Ford. (the first four harnesses are all Chrysler)

Coincidently, the “fit chart” for the Curt harness (51458) that is listed for the new wrangler matches the Tekonsha 3024 “fit chart”.

I’m not a Curt fan - reasons are mostly based upon ethics with how they treat the retailers that handle their products... However, because they listed it as fitting the new JL, I contacted their dealer tech line and confirmed that the harness DOES have the required diode, and that the pinout of the vehicle plug DOES NOT MATCH their 51460 harness (same as the 3014 that "works" but messes with the dash lights). They published 51458 fit compatibility with the new JL without even confirming that it works!!!!!
To give them credit - their tech that I spoke with was very polite and provided me with the pinouts and confirmation of the presence of a diode within the brake signal wire in an educated way. (not like at the auto parts counter when you ask for a 3157 headlamp and they ask you what kind of vehicle it is for...) He was also intrigued to hear my findings - we will see if they make an addendum to the fit guide that the black and blue pins have to be swapped for the new JL...

Anyway, I have not seen a company that offers a DIRECT fit harness for the new wrangler (or even mentions making it work), so while we wait a couple years for the aftermarket to flip two wires and come up with a new part number, the rest of us can use the tekonsha 3024 harness and swap the black and blue wires. (bonus – if this harness is installed without swapping the wires, it will not cause any damage to the vehicle or controller, the controller just wont power up!)

NOW, I must add that the diode DISABLES the ability for the brake controller to illuminate the brake lights on the vehicle and trailer under override. (only an issue when using the manual "slider" button on the brake control... typically only used to setup brake controller, testing trailer brakes, and in emergent situations)
I don't want to get into legalities, so check with your own state... It is my understanding that in California (maybe some other states too) it is REQUIRED BY LAW that the brake lights illuminate any time ANY braking force is applied. If you travel through any state that has this requirement, an ADDITIONAL harness (30235) can be installed to add that functionality while maintaining the protection of the computer. The text right from Tekonshas part description "California Compliant - Our Brake Control Stop Light Adapter is designed for brake controls and/or vehicles that do not activate the stop lights on a trailer when the manual lever of the brake control is engaged. This is necessary in the state of California."

Parts needed:
Tekonsha Harness #3024
Tekonsha Brake Light Kit #30235 (only required in states that require brake lights when using override)
Proportional Brake Controller of Choice (do NOT get a timer based controller - they only to make you legal, they are not safe)

If you made it all the way to the end - thanks! I can get a little long winded, but I am very analytical and detailed...

If any of you ever need a brake controller installed for fear of modifying a harness - or need any camper related work, I am very proud of our dealership. We just had a couple guys finish their technician certification - We now have the most RVDA certified technicians at any single facility in the entire state! Not too bad for a little mom and pop shop! I am in the process of setting up a blog with technical how-to write-ups on RV related topics, a lot like this one! Check out our website if you are interested. www.greenewayrv.com

Happy Jeeping!
THANKS!! Now if we could only figure out how to properly wire a controller for those of us without the factory town option.
Sponsored

JLURmojito

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
THANKS!! Now if we could only figure out how to properly wire a controller for those of us without the factory town option.
I haven't had a JL in our shop yet besides mine with a tow package. I will do a bit of homework and see if I can find enough info to confirm an install method. The ONLY hurdle that I anticipate is getting that brake signal... The rest of the install could be done on anything from a garden-tractor to a Maserati.

matt

bobzdar

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Rubicon X 4XE, '23 Defender 130
This tekonsha harness works in both the jl and jt (gladiator). Plug and play, drivers side dash. It will only light up the dash if you hit the manual brake override without a trailer hooked up, and restarting the vehicle resets the warnings. Verified that on both.

mergedown

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I haven't had a JL in our shop yet besides mine with a tow package. I will do a bit of homework and see if I can find enough info to confirm an install method. The ONLY hurdle that I anticipate is getting that brake signal... The rest of the install could be done on anything from a garden-tractor to a Maserati.

matt
Yes, that is all that is missing is finding the brake signal.

JLURmojito

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This tekonsha harness works in both the jl and jt (gladiator). Plug and play, drivers side dash. It will only light up the dash if you hit the manual brake override without a trailer hooked up, and restarting the vehicle resets the warnings. Verified that on both.
what harness are you referring to? the 3014?
it is possible that Chrysler added some protection into the circuitry to protect the computer when being back fed from the controller. In 2013-2014 the RAM half tons would cook the computer and it would have to be replaced.
I feel that if you have the ability to install it completely and correctly and the labor requirement is reasonable - there is no reason to open yourself up to the potential of future electrical issues... I don't know about your JL, but mine has a bit more copper in it than my old TJ.
A 3014 harness CAN be used - but I suggest installing a diode to protect the vehicle.

Sponsored

JLURmojito

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, that is all that is missing is finding the brake signal.
I will see what I can find. If I cant figure it out, worse case, you could install a 3rd brake light converter for a truck topper off of the left and right turn signal wires at the trailer plug, then run the "brake light" wire up to the brake control signal wire...

bobzdar

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Rubicon X 4XE, '23 Defender 130
what harness are you referring to? the 3014?
it is possible that Chrysler added some protection into the circuitry to protect the computer when being back fed from the controller. In 2013-2014 the RAM half tons would cook the computer and it would have to be replaced.
I feel that if you have the ability to install it completely and correctly and the labor requirement is reasonable - there is no reason to open yourself up to the potential of future electrical issues... I don't know about your JL, but mine has a bit more copper in it than my old TJ.
A 3014 harness CAN be used - but I suggest installing a diode to protect the vehicle.
Yes, the 3014. I've installed in both jl and jt (gladiator), no issues. If you hit the manual brake without a trailer hooked up it throws errors, but they reset when you restart, and if a trailer is hooked up it works properly.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Yes, the 3014. I've installed in both jl and jt (gladiator), no issues. If you hit the manual brake without a trailer hooked up it throws errors, but they reset when you restart, and if a trailer is hooked up it works properly.
I have found the same with my JL. However I would rather be safe than sorry. @JLURmojito Is the 3024 harness you speak of, the same as the 3024-P?

JLURmojito

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have found the same with my JL. However I would rather be safe than sorry. @JLURmojito Is the 3024 harness you speak of, the same as the 3024-P?
Yes. 3024 is the base part number. 3024P is retail packaged, 3024S is bulk packaging if I remember correctly.

JLURmojito

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I feel like there is a misunderstanding. The 3014 harness is indeed wired correctly for our JL's. The problem with the 3014 is the exemption of a diode on the brake signal wire.
The 3024 harness has the diode, but is wired incorrectly. The black and blue wire positions need to be flipped. This effectively converts the 3024 into a 3014, but has the necessary diode.

I think the 3024 is the best choice between the two because it can be modified in less than 1 minute with a couple of eyeglass screwdrivers. The 3014 will require additional parts (heat shrink, solder, flux, and the correctly sized diode). In addition, the wire harness will need to be opened up to install it... why go through all of that work when it is already pre-installed on another suitable candidate.

Sponsored

Fatman

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU 2001 Corvette 1999 SLK 230 (2) 2004 S2000 2013 Tiguan 2014 Explorer PIU 2005 F150 2011 C-200 2012 Lexus Prius TO MANY CARS!
Occupation
Retired / BUM
Just to clarify, the 3024 needs the blue and black swapped on both sides or just one side, seems the electrical system should not know what color the wire is, also when the wires are swapped does this just plug in someplace and then I connect to the blue wire that was in the trailer wire kit znd can any brake controller be used once this is all taken care of without the warning light issue

JLURmojito

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just to clarify, the 3024 needs the blue and black swapped on both sides or just one side, seems the electrical system should not know what color the wire is, also when the wires are swapped does this just plug in someplace and then I connect to the blue wire that was in the trailer wire kit znd can any brake controller be used once this is all taken care of without the warning light issue
This harness is ONLY for the JLs with the factory tow package. There is a plug in the area above the location of a conventional parking brake pedal.
Swap the black and blue wires at the vehicle side connector on the 3024 harness. The controller side of the 3024 harness can then be plugged directly into tekonsha brand (and others manufactured by tekonsha) controllers with a plugin. Some of the inexpensive controllers just have bare wires coming out of the controller...
If using a controller with bare wires, or a controller that has a different style plug, cut off the controller plug on the 3024 harness and match function for function the wires together. (I would say match colors but I haven't seen EVERY brake control made...) The industry standard color codes are Black-Batt +, White-Batt -, Red-Brake Sense, Blue-Brake Output (this is also the color code to the tekonsha harnesses, including the 3024.)
If your brake control has a 5th wire, it is likely for dimming the display on the controller. It is supposed to be hooked to the parking light circuit, but could vary by manufacturer. It isn't very common, and the controller will work normally without it connected.

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
Swapping both ends wouldn't change anything except the color of the wires. I'm assuming the vehicle end needs to be swapped if you want to maintain the correct color coding on the wires. The brake controller end should be the correct colors since the harness is made by Tekonsha for their brake controllers.

JLURmojito

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I forgot to add...
If you are using the trailer wire kit, you will NOT need this harness. The brake control will be installed with the bare wire harness it comes with. Black to Constant Batt+ (circuit breaker protected at 20 or 30a depending on controller), White to Ground, Blue to your blue wire from the trailer wire kit and the red wire is currently a problem. I am trying to find a resource to find a brake signal wire to tap into under the dash without having to go back to the third brake light.
I will post results when and if I am able to confirm a solution for JLs WITHOUT a factory tow package

Fatman

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU 2001 Corvette 1999 SLK 230 (2) 2004 S2000 2013 Tiguan 2014 Explorer PIU 2005 F150 2011 C-200 2012 Lexus Prius TO MANY CARS!
Occupation
Retired / BUM
I was afraid that was going to be the answer, I prefer not to tap into any wires unless I just have to.
i did run an extra wire when I installed the harness just in case I would have to tap into the 3rd.
Sponsored