JL acceleration

rogo66

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
I just checked YouTube and there is no 3.6 versus 2.0 videos. Should we set up a drag race a little one on one action and see how bad the 2.0 smokes the 3.6 and post the video ?
I have a 2-door 2.0L, but I'm in Alabama. Meet half way?
Sponsored

cram501

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Mojito! Moab
I just checked YouTube and there is no 3.6 versus 2.0 videos. Should we set up a drag race a little one on one action and see how bad the 2.0 smokes the 3.6 and post the video ?
Just search for "wrangler v6 vs i4". There are a few up there.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The 2.0L Turbo is NOT way faster than the 3.6L V6. In fact, some guys who've tested it have found the Pentastar to be stronger.

It makes sense, when you consider than the Pentastar has no turbo to lag, and also has a MUCH flatter and longer torque curve.

If anybody with a 2.0L in central KY wants to run 'em for a YouTube video, hit me up. Provided you've got 35" tires to make it apples to apples, I'll run a tiny turbo any day of the week.

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
The 2.0L Turbo is NOT way faster than the 3.6L V6. In fact, some guys who've tested it have found the Pentastar to be stronger.

It makes sense, when you consider than the Pentastar has no turbo to lag, and also has a MUCH flatter and longer torque curve.

If anybody with a 2.0L in central KY wants to run 'em for a YouTube video, hit me up. Provided you've got 35" tires to make it apples to apples, I'll run a tiny turbo any day of the week.

20v36_all-jpg-jpg.jpg

With an 8 speed transmission, that significantly higher torque and HP for most of the usable powerband is what matters. Sure, the Pentastar has a slightly flatter torque curve. It's flat, below the 2.0 torque curve. The 3.6 is beaten from ~2k until 2.0 redline. That's what transmissions are for. That isn't a small difference. You can argue all day, but numbers don't lie.

I'll take my Jeep out to the track for giggles later on. I'm on heavy 315 Nitto RGs but if someone else is, we can post timeslips with DA and compare. I've driven both, it isn't the same performance. You should stick to the reliability arguments.

Sponsored

xtraham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Unlimited
My JL is significantly quicker than my JK. However, it also gets a lot worse gas milage so far...

MLBRINES

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Chevy C10 1/2 ton pickup short bed. 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired IBM
I sold my 2005 Wrangler Unlimited (inline 6 cylinder) just before I bought my 2019 4 door Sahara. I thought the 2005 was decently peppy, but the 3.6L is excellent for acceleration. It's not meant to be a dragster, but I do like the pep this engine has.

JLRoachicon

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU RUBICON 2.0 Turbo, 2006 Ducati 999S (RIP)
Vehicle Showcase
I did not know this , so the 2.0 is that much faster. It’s hard to believe It’s night and day with my 3.6. I really can’t wait to do a on ramp drag race and see how bad I get beat and if I can at least keep up. That 2.0 must really haul butt.

I also test drove both back to back. The 2.0 definitely felt quicker and lighter. The throttle response was amazing. Not to say I wouldn’t have bought the V-6, I would have, but the Jeep I wanted had the 2.0. After driving it, that sealed the deal.

Sponsored

wrangster

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the JLUS, New Ford Ranger 4X4 Lariat
Occupation
Retired and happy!
Vehicle Showcase
I have a JLUS 8 speed 6 VVT and love the acceleration especially when I do the shifting. Plenty of power for a vehicle of this type!

Birdman

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JL
I have a JLUR (auto, stock tires/wheels) and it feels considerably slower than my Pacifica Limited (which has basically the same motor, though a 9spd trans.) in all situations (light, moderate and heavy throttle). My Wrangler also feels slower than the V6 Grand Cherokees I have had as loaners over time.

What is strange to me is that Car and Driver tested the JLUR to be quicker than the Pacifica 0-60 by a couple of tenths. I never timed a 0-60 run but I would be shocked if my Pacifica were slower than my Jeep.

Can anyone else with other vehicles equipped with FCA's 3.6L V6 comment? Same experience? Or is there something wrong with my Jeep?
I bought IDrive for this reason it awesome and really really increases throttle sensitivity. Love it and it has many different settings.

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
I finally have a few hundred miles on my 2.0 with 33” KM3 tires and aftermarket wheels (heavy). I regretted not ordering the 3.6 after reading about complaints but this 2.0 moves well. I’m not a fan of the engine sound but it has good power overall and excellent passing power when I need it. I may have to change exhaust to combat the whiny engine but the acceleration is good.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Best i could find was magazine times on the 3.6 and 2.0 but from DIFFERENT mags but for what its worth...

3.6L
0-60 6.9
1/4 mile 15.3 @ 89.9mph

0-60 6.5
1/4mile 15.2 @ 90mph

As said, these were two different magazines, no idea on elevation, temps etc. Either way they are both slow AF together...lol.

Dudley Dawson

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I finally have a few hundred miles on my 2.0 with 33” KM3 tires and aftermarket wheels (heavy). I regretted not ordering the 3.6 after reading about complaints but this 2.0 moves well. I’m not a fan of the engine sound but it has good power overall and excellent passing power when I need it. I may have to change exhaust to combat the whiny engine but the acceleration is good.
I agree. The only aspect I don’t care for is the “sound”. I planned to factory order a 3.6 but found and purchased very similar build on the lot with the 2.0. That said, I have been extremely impressed with the torque / power from the line, and power is readily available at cruising speeds when needed.
Sponsored