Sponsored

JL A/C

sjl136

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Willys 2dr, ā€˜90 YJ, '22 4Runner
Thank you for the warning to keep my hopes in check on the TSB. I dropped mine off for the last service before hitting 36k miles, so I figured it was worth a try along with a few other items.
Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for the warning to keep my hopes in check on the TSB. I dropped mine off for the last service before hitting 36k miles, so I figured it was worth a try along with a few other items.
Please share what you find but on that other thread the only people reporting back where saying it did nothing and it's also a year old so I'm guessing it's not the magic bullet.

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
has it been at the dealership? They may have updated the software. It comes in to the passenger floorboard, you may just not notice it.
It has been to the dealership for a TSB and, you're probably right, as I would not feel it if it dumps on the passenger side.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Mine does (did) the same thing. I got tired of the humid air pouring in, so I unplugged the motor that operates the door. I havenā€™t had an issue since.
This right here is the fix. You can get angry with FCA over it, but >5 min and you'll be happy again

Tacoman03

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR Recon 2022 Bronco Raptor
Vehicle Showcase
My JT Rubicon did it, as does my new JLUR.
Yes, thatā€™s the way the new auto HVAC works, unfortunately. Mine does the same.

It is crap IMO. The auto AC on my JKs worked like clockwork. This one, instead, I have to keep fiddling constantly with the up and down arrows.

It is what it is. I wouldnā€™t push my luck with the dealer. These systems are so complex you are likely to get something else damaged if they start taking things apart.

FWIW, friends who own a Gladiator donā€™t seem to have the same problem. JTā€™s cabin is significantly smaller, so the system appears to work better there. Which suggests FCA cheaped out with the temp sensors inside JL.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2018 JL with auto climate control. Running a/c in auto mode, every few minutes heat will come from under the dash. A/C continues to blow cold from dash vents, but heated air comes from under the dash. Service Mgr at my dealer says this is normal, as it is trying to maintain set temp. I also have a 2019 Ram 1200 with ATC that doesn't do that. ATC should use a blend door to mix warm and cold air to maintain cabin set temp, not give you a blast of hot air. Is this a fact of life with a JL?
I've heard of this, so I think it may be common. I wouldn't know, though, because I never liked the auto setting. I like to control the temp manually. I've never felt these things work like a house thermostat, anyway.

OP
OP
DK1

DK1

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL.
It's not a "problem" and is actually "designed" that way. Unreal, I know and it sucks but FCA stand by it.
Thanks, just weird. My Ram truck with ATC, doesn't act like that. None of the Ford F150s I've had with ATC act like that. Oh, well, it is what it is.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, just weird. My Ram truck with ATC, doesn't act like that. None of the Ford F150s I've had with ATC act like that. Oh, well, it is what it is.
Yep. We have a 2012 Ram C/V delivery van and it does it but it's waaaaaaay less noticeable. Dumb design for sure.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
It's not a "problem" and is actually "designed" that way. Unreal, I know and it sucks but FCA stand by it.
itā€™s actually both designed that way, and a problem. The door simply needs to fully rotate to the outside air position and back, and nobody would ever know.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Welcome to the Nanny Jeep. It is designed to protect you, from you.

Sponsored

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
itā€™s actually both designed that way, and a problem. The door simply needs to fully rotate to the outside air position and back, and nobody would ever know.
If I understand you correctly, the vehicle is designed to allow outside air to bypass the cabin filter and then enter the cabin? That does not seem correct. It would help if someone had the diagrams of the actual conduits and plenums for the vehicle. Also, I don't think there is anyway to direct footwell air to one side or the other, referring to the comments that the hot blast favors the passenger side. The problem, as described, sounds like a breached air conduit more than a design feature. IMHO

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
If I understand you correctly, the vehicle is designed to allow outside air to bypass the cabin filter and then enter the cabin? That does not seem correct. It would help if someone had the diagrams of the actual conduits and plenums for the vehicle. Also, I don't think there is anyway to direct footwell air to one side or the other, referring to the comments that the hot blast favors the passenger side. The problem, as described, sounds like a breached air conduit more than a design feature. IMHO
Lower your glove box and you'll see right away. When the door opens, it's wide open through the firewall basically. You could call it a "breached air conduit" if you want, that wouldn't be wrong. However it's by "brilliant" design

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Lower your glove box and you'll see right away. When the door opens, it's wide open through the firewall basically. You could call it a "breached air conduit" if you want, that wouldn't be wrong. However it's by "brilliant" design
Thanks. I will check that out.

Bucaro

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911, Kia Sportage, MB GLS 550
When I experience this in my JLU, I cycle the recirculation button on/off and this takes care of it...

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
When I experience this in my JLU, I cycle the recirculation button on/off and this takes care of it...
I tried this, several times, with the wife feeling the hot air on her feet. It didn't work.
Sponsored