JL A/C

DK1

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL.
I have a 2018 JL with auto climate control. Running a/c in auto mode, every few minutes heat will come from under the dash. A/C continues to blow cold from dash vents, but heated air comes from under the dash. Service Mgr at my dealer says this is normal, as it is trying to maintain set temp. I also have a 2019 Ram 1200 with ATC that doesn't do that. ATC should use a blend door to mix warm and cold air to maintain cabin set temp, not give you a blast of hot air. Is this a fact of life with a JL?
Sponsored

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
I have a 2018 JL with auto climate control. Running a/c in auto mode, every few minutes heat will come from under the dash. A/C continues to blow cold from dash vents, but heated air comes from under the dash. Service Mgr at my dealer says this is normal, as it is trying to maintain set temp. I also have a 2019 Ram 1200 with ATC that doesn't do that. ATC should use a blend door to mix warm and cold air to maintain cabin set temp, not give you a blast of hot air. Is this a fact of life with a JL?
I have a 2018 JL and live in SoCal. 100+ deg for a couple of weeks. I have never experienced hot air from under the dash and I use the Auto A/C. It almost sounds like a missing or loose air conduit that should be blending the air.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Itā€™s messed up, but they all do that. Itā€™s letting outside air in when set to recirculate and they got it wrong. The air inlet door tried to open slightly to bring in a little bit of air but instead it dumps it to the floorboard.

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Itā€™s messed up, but they all do that. Itā€™s letting outside air in when set to recirculate and they got it wrong. The air inlet door tried to open slightly to bring in a little bit of air but instead it dumps it to the floorboard.
Mine has never done that. It is an '18 JL Sport. I've driven hundreds of miles in Palm Springs summers and no hot air dump. With or without Auto A/C.

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Mine does (did) the same thing. I got tired of the humid air pouring in, so I unplugged the motor that operates the door. I havenā€™t had an issue since.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Mine has never done that. It is an '18 JL Sport. I've driven hundreds of miles in Palm Springs summers and no hot air dump. With or without Auto A/C.
has it been at the dealership? They may have updated the software. It comes in to the passenger floorboard, you may just not notice it.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, thatā€™s the way the new auto HVAC works, unfortunately. Mine does the same.

It is crap IMO. The auto AC on my JKs worked like clockwork. This one, instead, I have to keep fiddling constantly with the up and down arrows.

It is what it is. I wouldnā€™t push my luck with the dealer. These systems are so complex you are likely to get something else damaged if they start taking things apart.

FWIW, friends who own a Gladiator donā€™t seem to have the same problem. JTā€™s cabin is significantly smaller, so the system appears to work better there. Which suggests FCA cheaped out with the temp sensors inside JL.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Mine does the same. Asked dealer about it and they checked system and said all was in working order. Minor annoyance for me, but not a big deal on the daily.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the party. The "feature" is well documented here in a thread that started over 2 years ago...

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...the-floor-vents-for-3-5-mins-then-stops.9720/

OP
OP
DK1

DK1

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL.
I have a 2018 JL and live in SoCal. 100+ deg for a couple of weeks. I have never experienced hot air from under the dash and I use the Auto A/C. It almost sounds like a missing or loose air conduit that should be blending the air.
Thank you. I live in south Florida so we get plenty of a/c time too. We were up in the Tennessee mountains last week, and it done it there too. Maybe it is an ATC problem with Wranglers.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you. I live in south Florida so we get plenty of a/c time too. We were up in the Tennessee mountains last week, and it done it there too. Maybe it is an ATC problem with Wranglers.
It's not a "problem" and is actually "designed" that way. Unreal, I know and it sucks but FCA stand by it.

sjl136

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Willys 2dr, ā€˜90 YJ, '22 4Runner
TSB 24-006-19 - HVAC System Update - Intermittent blast of warm air
Look up this TSB to see if it matches what you experience. I'm hoping to have this addressed this week in my 2018 JLUR.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
TSB 24-006-19 - HVAC System Update - Intermittent blast of warm air
Look up this TSB to see if it matches what you experience. I'm hoping to have this addressed this week in my 2018 JLUR.
From what I can tell that doesn't fix it. No one seems to have had success with that.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
From what I can tell that doesn't fix it. No one seems to have had success with that.
What is it with FCA issuing all these TSBs that donā€™t fix squat...?

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
What is it with FCA issuing all these TSBs that donā€™t fix squat...?
I gave up flying this flag 2 years ago. It is what it is, some suit at FCA called my dealer and talked to the guy in charge of service. Told him that this was by design to keep CO2 levels from building up in the cabin. We looked at each other and cracked up. This suit is probably making well into six figures yet has the common sense of a grape when it comes to stuff like this.
How in the world did I make it to almost 50 when all of my other vehicles allowed me to breathe in CO2 laden air all these years.
I'd also like to punch the guy who made you push ESS EVERY FREAKING TIME I GET IN THE JEEP to turn it off. Tazer took care of that on my dime. I actually reached out to Joe who invented the Tazer and asked him if he could hack into the HVAC software to fix this and he said he couldn't. I simply hit the recirc button twice whenever I detect the air dump and go on my marry way. Some seem worse than others, my wife's Sahara is wicked with how much air dumps in while my Rubi is a little less.
Sponsored