Sponsored

Jk to JL adjustable control arm compatibility?

Sauce

First Name
D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I'm trying to piece together a bit of a Frankenstein lift right now. Without having all the parts I'd like to use available specifically for the JL yet, I'm trying to see if I need to wait for now.

I'm looking to use some Currie adjustable control arms with Johnny Joints on both ends. I'm going to be using the stock mounting locations. I havent been able to find any solid info on lengths for the JL.

I also am out of town for a few months and cant go measure my own right now. The other question that might be relevant is even if they are close/same length, I read there's an angle for clearance on th JL. Any help would he greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

MacBigButt

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Leaf, 2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
The EVO rear upper/lower adjustable control arms the same part but front control arms are different part numbers. The lengths of all the control arms are noted in the install guide on the EVO site for their Stage 4 kit.

Hope that helps a bit.

OP
OP

Sauce

First Name
D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Thanks Mr. Butt. I'll throw some of that info on here in case others are curious too. I'm looking to do some king coilovers as well as their bumpstops, but don't yet want to commit to frame modification. If I end up feeling like I am not getting the offroad performance I'm looking for out of a short arm setup, I'll go long arm later. I'm currently looking at doing Currie's Billet adjustable lowers and then getting their standard adjustable uppers (unless someone has good reason to do otherwise). I may be looking at using Rebel's coilover kit for now or just fabbing one up myself.

So I'll likely set up the suspension for about 3in of lift. Ill be purchasing some beadlocks and 37's (Final decisions on specific ones have yet to be finalized). So As MacBigButt posted, looks like the rear control arms will work. From what I see in dimensions, I believe adjustable fronts will work as well, provided there is enough adjustabilty to get everything in spec. Any differences here are relatively small, and should be able to be adjusted into spec UNLESS there is a problem with the bend. Here is what I've found so far. If anyone ESPECIALLY one of our fantastic vendors here has contradicting information, please let me know so I can correct this.

From: https://[Banned Site]/showthread.php/14352-Adjustable-control-arm-length

Here are TF's specs for a 3" lift ************FOR JK's**************

JK Front lowers: Driver - 23 7/8"; Pass 24 1/8" (factory front lowers are both 22 5/8")

[TF wants the passenger side lower arm longer to eliminate pull to the right.]

JK Front uppers: Driver and Pass - 19 1/2" (factory front uppers are both 18 3/4")

JK Rear lowers: Driver and Pass - 20 3/8" (factory rear lowers are both 19 3/4")

JK Rear uppers: Driver and Pass - 18 3/8" (factory rear uppers are both 17 7/16")

The Author of the information below states that the measurements that he lists are more conducive to having a properly set up suspension VS the inforamtion above which was listed in the first place due to issues with fitment.

From: http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write...rangler-4-flex-arm-lift-installation-write-up

JK Wrangler’s factory front lower control arms measure 22-5/8″ in length eye to eye. As a starting point, I set my new TeraFlex adjustable front lower control arms to being 23″ long which is 3/8″ longer than stock.

JK Wrangler’s factory front upper control arms measure 18-3/4″ in length eye to eye. Again, as a starting point, I set my TeraFlex front adjustable upper control arms to 18-7/8″ long which is 1/8″ longer than stock.

JK Wrangler’s factory rear lower control arms measure 19-5/8″ in length eye to eye. As a starting point, I set my new TeraFlex adjustable rear lower control arms to being 20″ long which is 3/8″ longer than stock

His instructions on the rear uppers were more complex, so if your interested, see the link above.

As for JL specs for a 2.5 in lift from EVO, this is from their installation instructions

From: http://www.evomfg.com/technical-doc...pdf?_route_=technical-docs/EVO-3001S4-EXT.pdf

FRONT LOWER JL ENFORCER ARM STARTING LEGNTH CENTER TO CENTER 24 1/8”

FRONT UPPER JL ENFORCER ARM STARTING LEGNTH CENTER TO CENTER 20 1/4”

REAR LOWER JL ENFORCER ARM STARTING LEGNTH CENTER TO CENTER 19 3/4”

REAR UPPER JL ENFORCER ARM STARTING LEGNTH CENTER TO CENTER 17 1/2”

The Control arms in question for myself are these: https://www.currieenterprises.com/CE-9807FLAB

Currie says that these " Arms are a minimum of 3/8" longer than stock and must be used in conjunction with adjustable upper control arms". Which puts them at 23". So as long as they have a min of 1 1/8" adjustability I am fairly confident they will work as long as the uppers that I choose also have enough adjustability.

Adjustabilty on the Johnny Joints shouldn't be an issue as "The shaft....measures in at 3.2" long"
http://www.jkfreaks.com/forums/showthread.php?8916-Control-Arm-End-Joints-Comparison-and-review

Well, Thats a start. I've been looking all around for this. Not that it's even necessary as there are for sure good short arm systems out at this point...I just got my heart set on those Currie billet control arms for no reason other than that I want what I want and I'm liking those a lot.

Last edited:

CuylerTech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Bright White 3.6L 8 Speed
Rebel offroad already has a JL coilover conversion that uses 4x 2.5x12” king coilovers. Mines in transit currently.

OP
OP

Sauce

First Name
D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
CuylerTech, Yeah, I'll probably go with the rebel kit unless I fab up my own towers and whatnot and piece the rest of the parts together myself. But the main reason for this thread was to address the control arms. The rebel kit doesn't come with any. So I am looking to replace the factory control arms and my first choice wold be the Curries for the lowers. Since I couldn't find any info anywhere listing the compatibility in black and white, I wanted to try to consolidate some info and begin adding at least a little tech to this site...It's lacking this type of content compared to other sites, I'd like to see some experienced Jeep guys contribute rather than having 99% of post here just being from the new guys asking questions like "are King's really better than stock? Why?"

I really miss Pirate4x4 back in their prime. 15 years ago you could learn from almost every post because people put the time in to give the information. But they expected not to have their time wasted with questions that a quick search would have answered. They pretty much gave up on Jeeps with the introduction of the JK and now that I don't have and CJ,YJ,TJ's or a Toyota anymore, I don't really frequent the site unless I'm looking for general tech.

Sponsored

CuylerTech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Bright White 3.6L 8 Speed
CuylerTech, Yeah, I'll probably go with the rebel kit unless I fab up my own towers and whatnot and piece the rest of the parts together myself. But the main reason for this thread was to address the control arms. The rebel kit doesn't come with any. So I am looking to replace the factory control arms and my first choice wold be the Curries for the lowers. Since I couldn't find any info anywhere listing the compatibility in black and white, I wanted to try to consolidate some info and begin adding at least a little tech to this site...It's lacking this type of content compared to other sites, I'd like to see some experienced Jeep guys contribute rather than having 99% of post here just being from the new guys asking questions like "are King's really better than stock? Why?"

I really miss Pirate4x4 back in their prime. 15 years ago you could learn from almost every post because people put the time in to give the information. But they expected not to have their time wasted with questions that a quick search would have answered. They pretty much gave up on Jeeps with the introduction of the JK and now that I don't have and CJ,YJ,TJ's or a Toyota anymore, I don't really frequent the site unless I'm looking for general tech.
Im going Rebel Kit + Custom Long Arm. Otherwise I would of used Rock Krawler.

OP
OP

Sauce

First Name
D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I'd really like to hear your specs if/when you build your suspension. I'm not completly counting out a long arm. I probably even should just go for it right away.
Sponsored