Jeep wave gone bad

JessieGirl

First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
He didn't even leave you enuf for a gallon of gas! That's just harsh! :)
Right?! I called him later that evening to ask where that incredibly random amount even came from. He was like, "keep it, you just never know when you might need some change." Ha. Yeah, thanks Dad. :facepalm::cwl:
Sponsored

MacBigButt

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Leaf, 2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Passed an older wrangler today. Gave the the guy the friendly, "what's up" and he shot me the bird. For a second I had to check and make sure I wasn't driving a hummer or kia. I don't understand.
In adventure motorcycle riding we use to call that the adventurers salute. I think because it always seemed that just after you had finished spending 30 minutes unsticking your bike from 3' of gumbo that another rider would come happily along and flash you a peace sign, a not so subtle dig at you for dropping your bike.

At least you know he was paying attention to the road and saw that you waved.

Jeepncontry

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep JKU Oscar Mike
Vehicle Showcase
Passed an older wrangler today. Gave the the guy the friendly, "what's up" and he shot me the bird. For a second I had to check and make sure I wasn't driving a hummer or kia. I don't understand.
Maybe the guy was missing three fingers and a thumb on that hand.

trble

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Occupation
Disabled Vet
Are you driving a 4 dr?

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I always wave unless it would be unsafe to do so at that particular time (merging in traffic, in a 90 degree turn, etc.) I get waves back 50% of the time, but that doesn't deter me.

In the past, I've owned a Corvette and a Porsche Carerra and ahave given and received a waves from fellow Vette and Porsche owners. But I've had a few intervening vehicles that do not have "the secret handshake/wave" . LOL However, my granddaughter was happy to hear that I acquired another Jeep so that she could watch me wave again.

I do notice that about 1/2 of the Jeeps I see are being driven by someone 1/2 to 1/3 my age (you do the math) and the other 1/2 are only a decade or so younger. Not many guys over 60 in Jeeps for some reason but that doesn't bother me.

Sponsored

Jeep Jenn

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2-door Sport S
there are a million wranglers in my area. i must see 50 a day. ive gotten the wave TWICE since i bought mine.

my wife's cousin who lives about 75 miles away, out near the desert, says she gets waves all the time in hers.

i guess maybe people in the LA area are to "cool" to wave
A more realistic thought would be; before I joined this forum, I didn't know I was supposed to wave at other Jeep drivers. LA is full of snobby people who only pay attention to themselves and people who want to cause an accident to get "free" money. If you are not getting a Jeep Wave in Los Angeles think about where you are when you are waving. Probably some snobby rich person.

JCMagnum

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
The guy is a tool. Lots of great Jeep owners out there who choose to acknowledge each other. My approach is to always wave first.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
I do notice that about 1/2 of the Jeeps I see are being driven by someone 1/2 to 1/3 my age (you do the math) and the other 1/2 are only a decade or so younger. Not many guys over 60 in Jeeps for some reason but that doesn't bother me.
Maybe you don't encounter as many guys driving Jeeps when over 60 because at that point, we just drive less?

Or maybe the 60 year old guys that you do see with Jeeps are *towing* them behind their RVs? :)

ekimgnuj

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Cary & Carolina Beach NC; Boston; Port Jeff, NY
Vehicle(s)
'24 JLU Sahara, '18 JLU Sport
Clubs

Seriously, the bird? What a loser! I'm proud of my JL, and I've driven pretty much every model wrangler since the last CJ at some point or another.

thatdesertgirl

First Name
Amanda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray Rubicon JLU, 2011 Desert Sand JK Sport (sold), 2009 Jeep Commander
Ahhh, when I used to borrow my husbands Jeep, getting to wave was one of the funnest parts for me. I can't wait for mine to arrive in a few weeks so I can start waving again! haha yes I realize how silly that sounds :rock:

Sponsored

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
I'm just saying that Jeepers act like they are something special, they aren't. Most people who drive any sort of off-road vehicle is the sort of person, who helps others stuck, or stranded. There is more of an off-roader lifestyle than Jeep lifestyle. Honestly, most of the Jeepers around here are about what color underbody lights to get or where can I get more stickers.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'm just saying that Jeepers act like they are something special, they aren't. Most people who drive any sort of off-road vehicle is the sort of person, who helps others stuck, or stranded. There is more of an off-roader lifestyle than Jeep lifestyle. Honestly, most of the Jeepers around here are about what color underbody lights to get or where can I get more stickers.
Well, it could be worse:

front-receiver-bumper-unlimited-photo-u-video-gallery-jk-lowered-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-photo-u.jpg

wrangler.jpg

Maximusdafarmer

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6MT
Occupation
Mariner
Vehicle Showcase
To the OP, that guy is obviously an asshole. Forget about it and him. He probably is one of those if your Jeep is my Jeep and set up the "right" way you aren't a Jeeper blah blah blah. Don't wave if you don't want to, but flipping the bird is childish.

I personally enjoy the Jeep wave, but I don't get too bent out of shape if people do not return it. I do see certain groups that return it less than others, but I also only really give it when we are passing without a barrier between ( median, multiple lanes, one of more of us is turning). But if we are on a two lane coming at each other, or at least on the inside lanes of a multiple lane, I always wave.

One last thing to think about. Anybody else remember how the punch buggy game was more fun as kids before they rereleased the Beetle? The Jeep JK sold roughly the combined numbers of the TJ and the YJ, a little more actually. So the same number of Jeeps were added to the road in the last 10 years as the previous 20... there are just a lot more Jeeps on the road now. And Jeep sales are up 70% from this time last year.... so this trend is not slowing down. Which for me, is a good thing.

So just enjoy it for what it is, and don't sweat it if somebody doesn't wave back.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, but I can't drive, wave, shift gears, and drink a beer at the same time... *Something* has got to be sacrificed and it sure isn't going to be my beer or my manual transmission. So, would you prefer that I drive (when you are headed towards me) or wave at you as I hit you? :)
Sponsored