Sponsored

Jeep vs Defender

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I just traded my LR4 for a new Sahara. I had it for 15 months, approx. 9,000 miles.... over $9,500 in repairs and service in those 15 months. It drove great when it worked. Traded it and with blown head gasket... could be an $8k repair or a new $13k engine w/ labor... $19,500. No thanks.
How many miles? My L320 supercharged hasn't had any major issues... just typical service items. It's a '11 with 45k miles, so very low mileage. That said, I do plan on doing the timing guides, supercharger snout, water pump, etc., at 80k. That'll be a $6,000 service at my indie... $11k at dealer. Brakes/control arms are coming up as well, which will be $1800.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Limey

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Hydro JKU 3.6
I chose a Wrangler over the Defender and i’m in the UK.

Other than very old money, any sensible farmer will have bought an east Asian pick up by now.

Whilst charming and desirable the Defender brings some with it terrible diesel power, significant theft risk( in the uk at least) and reliability challenges. Plus it is old and out of production.

But it has become very popular here as cool family transport, helped by Hipsters, Twisted etc and the ‘county’ set who seek to hang on to class associations with the vehicle.

Any new Defender model is unlikely to capture the original’s character and I expect a repanelled 3 door Disco with a big price tag.

LR/RR image a bit vulgar these days which is a bit unfortunate, but underlines why Jeep have made the right choice in keeping the Wrangler formula going.

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
Here's the latest Defender spy photo. Not the same Defender we all come to love.

2019-land-rover-defender-spy-photo.jpg
This is clearly a hacked/shortened Range Rover Sport body, and is not expected to be what the new defender looks like. This is just a test mule for the platform. Check out the rear door, its a sliced up hack job.

Here is a link to a roadmap they released. The sketch of the defender has the rear spare, boxy body, and big wheel arches that we'd expect:
https://auto.ndtv.com/news/jlr-anno...and-rover-defender-confirmed-for-2020-1873356

Sponsored

rugger1869

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
How many miles? My L320 supercharged hasn't had any major issues... just typical service items. It's a '11 with 45k miles, so very low mileage. That said, I do plan on doing the timing guides, supercharger snout, water pump, etc., at 80k. That'll be a $6,000 service at my indie... $11k at dealer. Brakes/control arms are coming up as well, which will be $1800.
I had ‘11 with 106k on the clock when I called it. I would definitely check the water pump.... it’s all plastic and they way it was designed is built to fail (plastic ABS tubing with a 3mm lip to connect to pump). They’ve updated the pump to be more reliable, but it is still plastic and the tubing is the same ($2,200 just for that)

JeepColorado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Updated photos of the new Defender off-road. It's even got a snorkel and a winch. I wonder if these will cut into Jeep sales?

209efd85f8b5e9a11fe259117c46009f.jpg

defenderhybrid.j01_1.jpg

bc5332d700aa65f85ff96bc929b99cff.jpg

47450cda9b4a53849aa2cb6805c22849.jpg

5fe7043a10862ff6bc53b946cb5c84fb.jpg

Sponsored

JeepColorado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee

A video of the new Defender off-road. As a rock crawler this vehicle doesn't seem like it'd be any real competition for Jeep, but overlanding could be a different story.

JeepTime

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
theres a video from someone who saw it while wheeling out in Moab, he got some unclose good angles at some stuff. As of now it seems like it lost the appearance and charm of the original Defender, but then again Camo can be misleading. I saw the gladiator last year testing in camo, and first time I saw it without camo really makes a big difference. As mentioned above I don't know if it'll be a good rock crawler, but it seems the spirit of the Defender was always more in overlanding anyway

Namib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
As somebody that grew with Land Rovers and have a lot of brand affinity for their vehicles: I think they are missing the mark...

Sad-Woman-Meme.jpg