Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
Nobody knows what it'll come out as but I doubt it is built to be the hardcore enthusiast vehicle like the Wrangler. At least it'll semi compete in that it'll be available as a convertible 4x4 with lockers
It will have a SVR version likely with a supercharged V8. It might get a proper convertible top. That ticks two big boxes the JL couldn't. Seeing the top products JLR has been releasing lately, they will not drop the ball on their iconic product. Before the JL news came out, people thought it would be severely watered down compared to the JK too.

I live in the U.S. but I'm in Sydney right now, spending 2+ months here. I've seen several Defenders here. They look really cool, but posts like these make them sound like a nightmare. I see a few Wranglers here and there, of course with the Euro bumper. :)
Defenders shouldn't be considered road worthy. Yes I don't see many Wranglers in Sydney but there are plenty in Melbourne and often modified too.
Sponsored

rugger1869

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I just traded my LR4 for a new Sahara. I had it for 15 months, approx. 9,000 miles.... over $9,500 in repairs and service in those 15 months. It drove great when it worked. Traded it and with blown head gasket... could be an $8k repair or a new $13k engine w/ labor... $19,500. No thanks.

kylebw7

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Discovery, 392 Daytona, JK
One thing of note with any Land Rover product... It'll kick the crap out of a Jeep (any Jeep) in bad weather. A lot of people have posted about living where there's often bad weather and going with the Sahara for that reason. The rovers traction systems are the best in the world by a good ways.

Also 8k head gasket on lr4? Needed another quote I paid 2100.

If they do the defender right I might purchase it as well but I'm not getting rid of the Jeep. You can customize a land Rover a great deal but not anywhere near the extent you can a Wrangler and nowhere near as cheap

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
try build an dprice a new discovery, I am not sure that a landrover traction control is all that great. I drove several ona controlled course at the Overland Expo. With their limited articulation they had wheels in th ari all day spininng like crazy until traction control kicked in. That was in 120 K Range Rovers and Lr4s

kylebw7

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Discovery, 392 Daytona, JK
try build an dprice a new discovery, I am not sure that a landrover traction control is all that great. I drove several ona controlled course at the Overland Expo. With their limited articulation they had wheels in th ari all day spininng like crazy until traction control kicked in. That was in 120 K Range Rovers and Lr4s
I was talking about driving on roads in bad weather (snow, ice, heavy rain, mud) not in situations where tires are off the ground. Not sure what suspension setup the defender will use but it should have the most travel of the model range.

Sponsored

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Ok what is ee in that realm is subarus so many people who live in mointain towns where it snows drive those cars with their 4 wheel drive system They work very well. That being said when my son went off to school at NAU northern arizona where it dumps snow most winters I bought him a discovery 2 it did fabulous in the snow. but a year and 1/2 later it blew the head gasketts ! $1800. ouch. on a 7500 car? so he then bought a used honda civic with 200,000 on it (800) no ac stick and would call me up and tell me he was getting 45 mpg ( take that Prius) he drove for 4 years put about 65k more on it and then sold it for $800 and bought a subaru.

Namib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I would not compare Discoveries (LR2, 3, 4) and Range Rovers with Defenders. That is the same as comparing a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a Wranger. They are very different vehicles.

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
I would not compare Discoveries (LR2, 3, 4) and Range Rovers with Defenders. That is the same as comparing a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a Wranger. They are very different vehicles.

This used to be the case, as the Defender was a body on frame vehicle. However, the new defender will use the same unibody aluminum platform as the Range Rover. Could still be a good off roader, but won't be a real successor.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
and you point is ? I was just describing my experience with the range rover and lr4 . The discovery is closer solid axles etc. bu they dumbed it down. As for the defenders at the same event Land Rover did not have any to drivenor are they available here except as used. Their turning radius is abysmal. We are picking lines through this tank trap thing where you had to make this shrarp turn to stay on line, Jeeps walked it like on cake. Even the sportsmobile ( short wheel base) cleaned. THe discovery 90 could make the turn. and had to back up and retry. They will need to address a lot to bring it up to current levels. I hope they do. But I won't beable to afford one. I am sure they will be $$$$$!

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
That is interesting. Sad though.

Sponsored

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
and you point is ? I was just describing my experience with the range rover and lr4 . The discovery is closer solid axles etc. bu they dumbed it down. As for the defenders at the same event Land Rover did not have any to drivenor are they available here except as used. Their turning radius is abysmal. We are picking lines through this tank trap thing where you had to make this shrarp turn to stay on line, Jeeps walked it like on cake. Even the sportsmobile ( short wheel base) cleaned. THe discovery 90 could make the turn. and had to back up and retry. They will need to address a lot to bring it up to current levels. I hope they do. But I won't beable to afford one. I am sure they will be $$$$$!
The point is....they can be compared as they are no longer very different vehicles. So in other words, just providing some additional info in regards to your post that may help clear up that the situation has changed.

Travis2929

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
The price discrepancy is between the stock defender and the
Land Rover Defender Works V8 revealed

https://www.landroverusa.com/our-st...v8-edition-to-celebrate-70th-anniversary.html

Land Rover's Jeep-like bind: If it makes the ute too hard-core, the faux-roaders won't buy it, but if it's too soft, the loyalists (including the British army) might revolt. Estimated Arrival and Price. The neo-Defender should arrive in 2017 as a 2018 model, at about$55,000 to start

also saw this on landrover website - maybe older model?

https://www.landrover.com/defender/specifications.html

Namib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
This used to be the case, as the Defender was a body on frame vehicle. However, the new defender will use the same unibody aluminum platform as the Range Rover. Could still be a good off roader, but won't be a real successor.
Agree, if they change the Defender that way... It will be a sad day to see the Defender that way. Most likely with IFS...

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Unless the defender that we’re talking about has straight axles front and rear it is no competition for the jeep wrangler. The straight axles on the jeep wrangler separate it from all other soccer mom SUVs.

olmectech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee, Wrangler JL
Vehicle Showcase
Here's the latest Defender spy photo. Not the same Defender we all come to love.

2019-land-rover-defender-spy-photo.jpg
Sponsored