Jeep temperature rating

Huev05

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Wrangler sport
I will be driving my jeep through some really cold weather tonight. We are talking low -50F. Does anyone know if this temperature will effect the vehicle. I have the 3.6 and a soft top. I don’t plan on stopping along the way. I just hoping that the extreme cold won’t fail a sensor or crack something and leave me stranded. Does anyone know if there is a temperature rating?
Sponsored

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
If you don't mind me asking where on Gods green Earth is it going to be -50?

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Sounds like a Tuesday for me. -26* last night and a high of -2* today. Cold weather is hard on everything. Thicker fluids etc. Not sure where it is -50* tonight. But you should be fine driving through. And remember wind chill is a measure of cold feeling on skin. So -50 wind chill doesn’t matter, temp on the cluster is how cold it is.

Slaw32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 willy's sport
If you are tall Make sure you wear a warm hat . Our hard top 04 unlimited is alot colder the closer you get to it , a soft probably going to be even colder . Jeeps have great heaters , but 0 insulation for the roof .

Blanco802

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
You should be fine to drive through the extreme cold. If you don't have winter tires then it's possible the ride could be a bit rougher as the compound on your tires harden. Maybe you hear some more creaks as well from the Jeep, but honestly no new modern vehicle should be failing just because of extreme cold.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I will be driving my jeep through some really cold weather tonight. We are talking low -50F. Does anyone know if this temperature will effect the vehicle. I have the 3.6 and a soft top. I don’t plan on stopping along the way. I just hoping that the extreme cold won’t fail a sensor or crack something and leave me stranded. Does anyone know if there is a temperature rating?
If you are not stopping for long it should be fine. We have someone around here I think who lives in Yellowknife. Or maybe he's on the Gladiator forum. But he's got a diesel and it does fine in crazy low temps. I'm sure he plugs it in at night, though.

I'd be darned sure to run a good synthetic 0w20 with a low pour point. I'd also up the ratio of coolant to water to handle the colder temps, and I'd be sure to have synthetic gear lube in the axles. But again, if you are not stopping, you should be fine.

AW1985

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I’m in Alaska. It will be fine. At -40 the suspension is rough, and the clutch can be lethargic. But its fine. If you plan to leave it outside over night without a block warmer, it’s gonna be a tough start, but it will be fine.

Jeep Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
duuuude
There is no temperature rating you need to watch, as long as you are using a quality winterized fuel, and nothing thicker than the OEM engine oil viscosity, which is already thin enough, even for your ambient temps.

The soft top holds heat better than people think. I've used it in both super hot summer temperatures, and super frigid temps like yours. It has pleasantly surprised me, that I've never felt the need for a hardtop ever again on these.

The heated steering wheel on my '19 JL, and the seat warmers, are one of the warmest in the industry, especially the former. They blow my BMW and Volvo steering wheel heating away.

The 3.6 also gives out good heat through the heating ducts. Just make sure to always use demineralized water in your coolant flushes, so that the heater core stays clean, and to activate your heater 2-3x summer for a few minutes, to circulate fresher coolant through the heater core. These procedures will provide you with good heating, for the life of the vehicle ;)

PS. Don't forget to use the lowest temp rated windshield washer fluid, or you might regret that on the highway very quickly.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
Haven’t seen -50F with the Jeep, but we got down to -33F last week during a cold snap. Heater worked fine, no issues there. In terms of tires, even winter tires will have a hard time maintaining full grip below -20F, so take corners like you have your grandmother drinking tea in the front with you. Definitely don’t cheap out on washer fluid, as mentioned.

In terms of the Jeep itself, expect the shocks and other components to groan at you. Finally, before I headed out on a trip where the vehicle would be parked outside in that kind of cold, I always fully charged the battery before I left. That kind of cold really beats them up.

Stay warm!

OP
OP

Huev05

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Wrangler sport
Driving through Glenn Allen Alaska. Forecast says -48 with a wind chill of -58. 🥶