Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
This thread started out as a "Whine Fest", and has deteriorated into a lot of hostility, and anger. People need to just push the ignore button, on this thread, and go to something more educational, and uplifting. :jk:
Which side of town do you usually commute in? I'm in Houston as well...would like to give you a "wave", if I haven't already lol :sun:
Sponsored

JLUandCJ-7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara w/mods
Vehicle Showcase
I'm a Sahara owner but was originally looking at Sport S with the options I wanted. I ended up with the Sahara at a comparable price tag. Mine will eventually go froading. I've swapped in a Rubi suspension and Rubi tires. I'm going to say it will eventually go to a Mall too :crying:. I dont care what any snobs say, I got what I wanted and am modding it how I want. I see pavement princesses in every trim.People buy them for their own reasons. If they want to buy a Jeep and never go froading, that's their call. It doesn't hurt my feelings.
Ditto.

I got the options I wanted with my Sahara and the ability to mod the way I wanted. Rubicon wheels and tires are on and suspension going in soon.

It'll hit some trails but this is absolutely a lifestyle vehicle that I can play with and mod in my garage.

And I have a CJ-7 for trails, so suck it, Trebek.

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep snobbery - RANT 20201018_142223

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep snobbery - RANT 20200918_220645

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
We went 2.5" lift and 37's after a year of driving and wheeling our 2019 jlur. All of the trails we've run could be done on 33's, with lots of belly dragging, taking the easiest available line, and some high odds of being high centered on occasion. Our moab trip was so much more relaxing on the new set up. Barley scrapped the undercarriage on top of the world and golden spike/ gold bar rim a few times but never had the slightest incling of stuck. We do most of our trips solo, so I'ld rather stay on the over tire size than the under sized and stuck. Holcomb creek and John Bull this weekend will really tell the tale of picking enough tire to clear the obstacles you want to clear.
i got through moab and beef basin and needles district in an xterra on 31’s. I did skip steel bender, ill admit. It was funny being on fins and things and hearing jeep drivers “haha. That xterra isnt going to make i....woah wow....”. or in needles “hey man you should turn around” etc. etc. etc.

jeep drivers generally take 35-37” tires over things the rest of the world does on 31-33’s.

bigger tires are good for the gram, tho. And some people legit want to bash up stuff, and i get that too.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
i got through moab and beef basin and needles district in an xterra on 31’s. I did skip steel bender, ill admit.

jeep drivers generally take 35-37” tires over things the rest of the world does on 31-33’s.
You can drag a Honda civic through most trails with enough rock stacking and work. There were ledges on top of the world and golden spike that the front and/or rear bumpers scraped on our current set up. Could we have made it on the stock set up? Sure. More banging and scrapping than I would like though.

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
You can drag a Honda civic through most trails with enough rock stacking and work. There were ledges on top of the world and golden spike that the front and/or rear bumpers scraped on our current set up. Could we have made it on the stock set up? Sure. More banging and scrapping than I would like though.
Bruh totally. add another 6” of lift go 40’s, bruh. And more light bars. Like. At least 2 more bruh.

Sponsored

Ohio Hiker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
Computer nerd / Retired US Air Force
Ditto.

I got the options I wanted with my Sahara and the ability to mod the way I wanted. Rubicon wheels and tires are on and suspension going in soon.

It'll hit some trails but this is absolutely a lifestyle vehicle that I can play with and mod in my garage.

And I have a CJ-7 for trails, so suck it, Trebek.

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep snobbery - RANT 20200918_220645
Twins!
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep snobbery - RANT 3F42C666-DD13-4482-8F2B-1273D363407A

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Nah, that’s sarcasm. I think probably Rubicon snobbery is real to some extent but as an earlier poster stated, for myself as a Rubicon owner I see it in the opposite direction just as much
I came here to say this. Hence, the line in my signature about "big scary stickers". There are a lot of non-Rubicon owners who have zero idea what they're talking about and LOVE to mouth off about how "Rubicons are a waste of money". So let's address that first:
1). They're only a waste of money if you don't use them
2). You're not paying for it, so mind your own.
3). It's better to have something if you think you'll want it and end up not needing it, Than to need something and not have it.
4). This also assumes every buyer knows exactly what they want to do with their Jeep, and the fact is- most just don't (more on that after).

There's similar mentality in personal finance groups I've been in; Don't ever admit you love cars in those, especially big, stupid 4x4's or muscle cars with giant, high horsepower v8's. The mods regularly have to remind people "Personal finance is personal" to cut through some of the BS Dogma and end the flame wars. Similarly, This is always a personal decision, and so it will vary from person to person.

Usually when someone asks my opinion, I ask them: what are you going to do with it?
If it's going to never see off road? Buy a Sport.
Are you planning on going off roading? Buy a Rubicon.
Are you planning on having a daily driver/ weekend warrior off roading? Rubicon
Just going to the beach and camping, going on vacation, etc? Sport
Are you going to go all in on a hardcore, trail only build where you're running 40+" tires? Buy the cheapest you can- Sport or wrecked.
Most importantly, what can you get a deal on? This is the biggest consideration. If you can get a screaming deal on an optioned up Sahara and you're not looking to go off roading, why not go for it? You can always add stuff later on.
Anything else, and it's truly somewhere in the middle. I've seen too many friends buy their first Jeep, pay for a decked out Sahara or Sport with a bunch of options, and then years later, when they're pricing out lockers, axle swaps, etc, they're cursing and saying to me "I wish I knew better back then, I would have skipped this and went with a Rubicon".

I imagine a lot of the vehement Anti-(insert trim level here) comes from jealousy, or people that believe it is a status symbol, or that hilariously inaccurate "Built not Bought" adage- which is also nonsense because let's face it- unless you bought a tube chassis, or a wrecked Jeep with a salvage title- we all bought running, driving, Wranglers. It's especially silly when it comes from guys running $3k of fancy 20" wheels on a $400 Rough Country special kit- and you see that stupidity on all trim levels. It's also no coincidence that they're on here complaining about the ride and death wobble etc. several months later. But I digress...

And for everyone still screeching about "buying a sport and building it up is still cheaper than a Rubicon"- that predicates you finding a VERY cheap vehicle to start with, and when you add up all the cost it ends up being even, if not more. The Rubicon just front loads that cost. I've had 3 Jeeps (1 sport, 2 Rubis), all build to be daily drivers/ weekend warriors. I've done the math. I know I'm going to get more use out of a Rubi NOW than a Sport that I build up over the next X years, so I'm ok with that.

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
Damn, I must have missed a memo somewhere. I drive a 2 door Rubicon and wave at anyone in a Jeep and am just happy to be a member of the club. I think if a person is a “Richard”, it isn’t because of their ride, it’s because they’re who they are. This forum doesn’t have too many nutjobs compared to others but maybe I’m just old and numb.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Bruh totally. add another 6” of lift go 40’s, bruh. And more light bars. Like. At least 2 more bruh.
No light bars and just enough lift for the 37's is perfect for me. If I had a 2 door I'd have probably went with 35's and no lift. That 20" of extra wheelbase leads to way more belly dragging than I liked, a full foot more wheelbase than an xterra FYI. Most trails are fine with smaller tires, I've done the rubicon on as small as a 33, but I don't like getting high centered. Just messing around at a local ohv, we high centered the jeep good enough cresting a hill that it wouldn't make it out on it's own even with the lockers turned on (literally the only stuck we've ever had in this rig). I've never done John Bull before, but from the videos and descriptions I've seen I wouldn't even try it stock. Not because I think it is impossible, but solely because I want to keep the sheet metal and paint pristine for as long as possible. I've been in dozens of situations off road where I just didn't have enough tire/clearance in 20+ years, but I've never been in one where I wished I had smaller tires? A guy in a Subaru legacy on 31's did fins and hell's revenge, so if those are the most extreme trails you plan on running you don't need to mod your jeep at all...

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I don't have a Rubicon, but I have a two door. Those twits with 4 doors are not real jeepers.
JK!
I have noticed no snobbery about my Sport S. I have been on many forums over the years (motorcycles, bicycles, cars, and now jeeps). There are always people that, valid or not, seem overly sensitive to other people's perceptions to what they have. Get over it! (especially you 4 door soccer moms and dads). :LOL:

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Responsibility is the ability to respond. We get to pick and choose what we say and how we say it.

If someone says something that can be taken or perceived as offensive, perhaps we understand on a subconscious and unconscious level that the instigator spoke offensively INTENTionally and PURPOSEfully. They chose to speak words that they knew could indeed have been perceived as a direct attack on the receiving individual and that their comments could have been seen as inflammatory.

On the receiving end, the recipient gets to pick and choose how he will respond to the comment. The choice to respond with aggression, violence, apathy, sadness or hate speech are just a few of the many, many choices.

However he chooses to respond, the very act of choice that the individual has can not be ignored. He gets to pick and chose how much power or how little those words have over him and how great or how small his ability to respond will be.

That same individual must recognize that other individuals can be high in emotion, low in reason and may not process the same level of deep intellect and may also not choose to respond to an otherwise inflammatory response comment in a rational or reasonable way.

Thinking before speaking and purposefully choosing words means that we hold ourselves more accountable to ourselves, our principles and our belief system first before anyone else and also before we allow others to.

I will conclude this with a quote: “the reason so many people become lost in thought is because it’s unfamiliar territory.”
I came here to say this. Hence, the line in my signature about "big scary stickers". There are a lot of non-Rubicon owners who have zero idea what they're talking about and LOVE to mouth off about how "Rubicons are a waste of money". So let's address that first:
1). They're only a waste of money if you don't use them
2). You're not paying for it, so mind your own.
3). It's better to have something if you think you'll want it and end up not needing it, Than to need something and not have it.
4). This also assumes every buyer knows exactly what they want to do with their Jeep, and the fact is- most just don't (more on that after).

There's similar mentality in personal finance groups I've been in; Don't ever admit you love cars in those, especially big, stupid 4x4's or muscle cars with giant, high horsepower v8's. The mods regularly have to remind people "Personal finance is personal" to cut through some of the BS Dogma and end the flame wars. Similarly, This is always a personal decision, and so it will vary from person to person.

Usually when someone asks my opinion, I ask them: what are you going to do with it?
If it's going to never see off road? Buy a Sport.
Are you planning on going off roading? Buy a Rubicon.
Are you planning on having a daily driver/ weekend warrior off roading? Rubicon
Just going to the beach and camping, going on vacation, etc? Sport
Are you going to go all in on a hardcore, trail only build where you're running 40+" tires? Buy the cheapest you can- Sport or wrecked.
Most importantly, what can you get a deal on? This is the biggest consideration. If you can get a screaming deal on an optioned up Sahara and you're not looking to go off roading, why not go for it? You can always add stuff later on.
Anything else, and it's truly somewhere in the middle. I've seen too many friends buy their first Jeep, pay for a decked out Sahara or Sport with a bunch of options, and then years later, when they're pricing out lockers, axle swaps, etc, they're cursing and saying to me "I wish I knew better back then, I would have skipped this and went with a Rubicon".

I imagine a lot of the vehement Anti-(insert trim level here) comes from jealousy, or people that believe it is a status symbol, or that hilariously inaccurate "Built not Bought" adage- which is also nonsense because let's face it- unless you bought a tube chassis, or a wrecked Jeep with a salvage title- we all bought running, driving, Wranglers. It's especially silly when it comes from guys running $3k of fancy 20" wheels on a $400 Rough Country special kit- and you see that stupidity on all trim levels. It's also no coincidence that they're on here complaining about the ride and death wobble etc. several months later. But I digress...

And for everyone still screeching about "buying a sport and building it up is still cheaper than a Rubicon"- that predicates you finding a VERY cheap vehicle to start with, and when you add up all the cost it ends up being even, if not more. The Rubicon just front loads that cost. I've had 3 Jeeps (1 sport, 2 Rubis), all build to be daily drivers/ weekend warriors. I've done the math. I know I'm going to get more use out of a Rubi NOW than a Sport that I build up over the next X years, so I'm ok with that.
These 2 posts made it very well worth the choking down of this thread.

Hats off to you 2 fine gentlemen!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I don't have a Rubicon, but I have a two door. Those twits with 4 doors are not real jeepers.
JK!
I have noticed no snobbery about my Sport S. I have been on many forums over the years (motorcycles, bicycles, cars, and now jeeps). There are always people that, valid or not, seem overly sensitive to other people's perceptions to what they have. Get over it! (especially you 4 door soccer moms and dads). :LOL:
4 door hater!! You hurt my feelings. You take that back, or I might drone on, for 20+ pages, about my feelings. You Big Bully!!! People who own 2 door Jeeps are just mean. Where is my Xanex, I feel anxieties coming on. :punch::jk:

FireWorxFire

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fireworxfire.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Just my overall take is the perception of Jeeps has become bigger. Bigger tires, bigger lifts, bigger/more lights, and so on. The best Jeepers are those who buy what they want for what they tend to use it for... example a Sport 2dr and just live in a place where 4x4 isn't used very often. You get all the great perks of a Wrangler. Open top to enjoy the gorgeous day, sun tan from the driver's seat, open air excitement that goes where other convertibles can't go. If you buy a Sahara its because you like or want specific features on it. If you buy a Rubi congrats you have an extremely capable stock vehicle that goes places the Sport or Sahara weren't necessarily picked to go. Each model has their perks and tools to give you the experience you want and do what you need it to do.

I personally used to palm to forehead everything I saw a Rubi mall crawling. It chapped my a**. But over the years of Jeeping I have come to appreciate the Rubis that never see dirt and have the latest in suspension parts because their want for a certain look has driven aftermarket parts to a whole new level with so many choices now compared to even 10 years ago.

I personally fall into another category where I've had Rubis in the past and life forced me into a soccer dad. So when I bought our 18 JLUS it was on purpose, just like OP buying the Sahara. I thought I was going to use it for top off driving to and from work sites. Then I went off road again and the original plan got tossed out the window. Should I have bought a Rubi? Not at the time but sometimes wish I had.. but I purposely bought the Sport S as the right price was available to me with solid features I could one day build on. 1 year ago it started with just slightly bigger tires and a tiny lift. Then it became what it is today... a compromise of work, daily, and play... heavy play lol. 3.5 in lift, 37s, axles, etc. But regardless of what model we buy we can always convert it in any direction we like. And all I ask is for the newbies to truly respect each other, not on the toys they have installed but just for the fact we share a common love for that JEEP logo. It truly is a Jeep Thing.

On a side note... yes you can build a properly priced Sport S like we have for the same as a stock Rubi! We have everything a Rubi has with only 1 exception... electronic swaybar. Otherwise it's a conversion done for the same price with a whole lot more than a stock Rubi lists for now... but you have to find the right priced Sport to begin with otherwise just get a Rubi and dont look. Our Fleet Gladiators are also amazing when bought correctly with the right options! Be yourself, be unique, just be you!!!

Last edited:

CodeRedH

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU RUBICON
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2020 JLUR that I picked up on Sep 5. I haven’t even made the first payment yet and have 1800+ miles more than half of that is off road. My neighbor laughs at me and says “You are one of the few people I know that would spend $50K on a Jeep and drive it like a Jeep from day one.” My answer is simply “That’s why I bought it... to go off reading.” I say if you drive a Sahara, a Sport, or a Rubi... you do you! If you are in the High Desert and want to go wheeling, hit me up! I am always down to get them Jeep dirty! Don’t worry about other people say... they dont pay your bills so fuck’em!

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
The poor fellow is clearly unable to see your sig and avatar.

He must be typing from a Motorola flip phone with a broken screen... :LOL:
Timely advertisement. :giggle:

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep snobbery - RANT 20201019_191601
Sponsored