Jeep Should be Ashamed...

Sector281411

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Gladiator Willy's Edition
As we all know the Wrangler is not an inexpensive vehicle to purchase and with that in mind.....

The JLU I bought came with the upgraded Alpine Speaker system, HOWEVER, it also came with the small 5 inch radio. I don't know how the hell this is even an available purchase option. There is no way the upgraded sound system should come with the POS 5 inch radio.

Even if you can get past that, which I just cannot and I am replacing my head unit next week, I have been replacing some of my speakers.

This is an example of the trash that the Alpine upgrade gets you. Below you will see the comparison of the "PREMIUM" Alpine speakers and a cheap set of Infiniti Reference 3032cfx Speakers. These cost me $79 on Crutchfield and that includes the adapters. They sound so much better it is not even funny, and they are substantially beefier all around.

The knee speakers I replaced also using the Metra Speaker pods for the Jeep JL with 6.5 Focal speakers. I spent $229 on speakers and the sound I am getting out of the 5 inch head unit is so much better. I hate getting ripped off and I wish I hadn't paid for this upgrade and had gone base level sound and upgraded myself.

I really feel like Jeep should be ashamed with this and do a better job on the smaller details.

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Should be Ashamed... IMG-2274

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Should be Ashamed... IMG-2271

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Should be Ashamed... IMG-2272
Sponsored

cride1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I have the Alpine system also. Wonder how many ohms each speaker is including the sub. Considering replacing it as well.

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
As we all know the Wrangler is not an inexpensive vehicle to purchase and with that in mind.....

The JLU I bought came with the upgraded Alpine Speaker system, HOWEVER, it also came with the small 5 inch radio. I don't know how the hell this is even an available purchase option. There is no way the upgraded sound system should come with the POS 5 inch radio.

Even if you can get past that, which I just cannot and I am replacing my head unit next week, I have been replacing some of my speakers.

This is an example of the trash that the Alpine upgrade gets you. Below you will see the comparison of the "PREMIUM" Alpine speakers and a cheap set of Infiniti Reference 3032cfx Speakers. These cost me $79 on Crutchfield and that includes the adapters. They sound so much better it is not even funny, and they are substantially beefier all around.

The knee speakers I replaced also using the Metra Speaker pods for the Jeep JL with 6.5 Focal speakers. I spent $229 on speakers and the sound I am getting out of the 5 inch head unit is so much better. I hate getting ripped off and I wish I hadn't paid for this upgrade and had gone base level sound and upgraded myself.

I really feel like Jeep should be ashamed with this and do a better job on the smaller details.
That part number comes up as an $18 Mopar speaker.

The Alpine upgrade you may have gotten could only be the rear sub?

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I am guessing the days of the 5 inch Uconnect are numbered. I wouldn't be surprised if 2021 is the last year.

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
2015 (or whenever it was conceived) should have been the last year for it. It is by far the worst part of my Jeep and the worst stereo I have used in any car since 2005.

Sponsored

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica

wait until you remove your top and doors, especially if you have the safety package, and you start the engine and then throw it in reverse too soon and the speaker volume decreases by 80%. This happens consistently when Uconnect doesn’t have time to boot completely and you throw it in reverse to back up out of the garage or a parking space without your doors on. It takes a few hours of the Jeep turned off to unscrew itself and forget that condition. @JeepCares should tell their techs do enable better exception/error handling...and testing.

OP
OP
Sector281411

Sector281411

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That part number comes up as an $18 Mopar speaker.

The Alpine upgrade you may have gotten could only be the rear sub?
What the actual F*$K..... I am going to be super pissed if I paid that money for a damn subwoofer.

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
evidently I’m an outlier but I have no issues with the 5” unit. My phone works with it, no problem streaming music either via usb or Bluetooth.

As for speaker quality, my expectations are low in a car, particularly a Jeep where I’ve got various comms radios going. I do like Focal (have a pair of Solo6 Be), but mine are in the home studio not the Jeep.

if the alpine upgrade isnt really a full speaker upgrade though, that blows.

kaffeian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 door Sport
Occupation
Lead Machine Operator

What head unit are you going with? I have been back and forth when my wife and I order our Rubicon next year on the alpine. Never have been a huge fan alpine but really like the screen. I haven't seen any head units out there for the JL though.

OP
OP
Sector281411

Sector281411

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What head unit are you going with? I have been back and forth when my wife and I order our Rubicon next year on the alpine. Never have been a huge fan alpine but really like the screen. I haven't seen any head units out there for the JL though.
I bought the Teyes CC2 Android head unit that is made for the Jeep JL. Here is a video showing it in action.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sector281411

Sector281411

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
would someone with a non-alpine system be willing to get the part number from the dash corner speakers? It will be on a sticker on the actual speaker

opiop

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed Bikini Pearl
Occupation
Software Developer
I am guessing the days of the 5 inch Uconnect are numbered. I wouldn't be surprised if 2021 is the last year.
I'll be irritated if they kill off the 5 inch head unit only a year or two after I got my Jeep. It'll be a win for everyone who buys a Wrangler then, but man it's a little off putting that for $30k they couldn't even put in a halfway decent head unit. I understand I don't have much room to talk since I have a base Sport, but it's a little annoying that the damn thing is so slow to start and it doesn't automatically pair with my phone. Every time I get in my Jeep I have to wait ~15 seconds for the radio to start up and actually respond to inputs, then I have to mess with it for another ~30-45 seconds to get it to pair to my phone. Not to mention not having Android Auto/Apple CarPlay kinda sucks in 2020.

Completely a first world problem, but it is annoying especially for $30k. I had a base model 2017 WRX with a significantly better head unit and the car was cheaper than my JL.

FlatSixShooter

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara,997C2, 981S, 750LI, Shelby GTSC, 19VW Jetta and a lot of motorcycles
Well, I too have the $1300 Alpine audio upgrade, and yes, its pretty feeble compared to other mfg upgrades and aftermarket components.

But that looks like a good deal when I compare my $50k JL Sahara to the deal I just cut on my bronco badlands for 26k. :headbang:

ered33

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport

IMG-2274.jpg

IMG-2271.jpg

IMG-2272.jpg
Thank

Thanks for the info... I have the Alpine w/7" head unit and agree that the unit is very glitchy and slow on the take for bluetooth. As for the speakers I replaced the 3.5" dash speakers with Hertz DCX (crutchfield and amazon were out of stock on the Infinity's a few months back with no e.t.a.) and put Focal ICU 100 4" for knee speakers. I couldn't be more disappointed...the Focal's are horrible. The Hertz helped a little with the clarity but even though the stock Alpine's are very wimpy in stature they at least sounded decent together as a whole. The Hertz and the Focal do not. Crutchfield didn't tell me that the Metra enclosures were available (or they didn't have them 2 months ago?) or I would have gone that route. I will order a set with some new 6 or 6.5's and see if that isn't the improvement I was hoping for. I also have another set of the Hertz for the sound bar (also 3.5) but haven't installed. I was too disgusted with the results from the front speakers. If you have any suggestions on the sound bar speakers I'm open to them!!
Sponsored