Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I have no complaints with my 'base' stereo...but I appreciate your honest review of the Alpine setup and the upgraded speakers you've got there. I will probably get them in the future.
Sponsored

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I'll be irritated if they kill off the 5 inch head unit only a year or two after I got my Jeep.
I expect it'll be gone as part of the midcycle update. 2023 or 2024 probably. The dash etc will probably get a cosmetic upgrade and they won't make a version to fit the 5" head unit.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
While I wouldn't buy the Alpine speaker system with the 5 inch radio combo, others out there would with the intention of replacing the radio. Just like people want the plastic bumpers because they will replace those quickly. Or replace the wheels and tires right away. Axel upgrade, some do it right away.

Its all OEM equipment, there are much better parts out there if you want to spend the money. Jeep isn't that much different than any other manufacturer in the respect. But Wranglers do have alot more aftermarket options than most.

Sponsored

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
As we all know the Wrangler is not an inexpensive vehicle to purchase and with that in mind.....

The JLU I bought came with the upgraded Alpine Speaker system, HOWEVER, it also came with the small 5 inch radio. I don't know how the hell this is even an available purchase option. There is no way the upgraded sound system should come with the POS 5 inch radio.

Even if you can get past that, which I just cannot and I am replacing my head unit next week, I have been replacing some of my speakers.

This is an example of the trash that the Alpine upgrade gets you. Below you will see the comparison of the "PREMIUM" Alpine speakers and a cheap set of Infiniti Reference 3032cfx Speakers. These cost me $79 on Crutchfield and that includes the adapters. They sound so much better it is not even funny, and they are substantially beefier all around.

The knee speakers I replaced also using the Metra Speaker pods for the Jeep JL with 6.5 Focal speakers. I spent $229 on speakers and the sound I am getting out of the 5 inch head unit is so much better. I hate getting ripped off and I wish I hadn't paid for this upgrade and had gone base level sound and upgraded myself.

I really feel like Jeep should be ashamed with this and do a better job on the smaller details.
The only thing Jeep should be ashamed of is making the Wrangler appeal to people who buy one to whine about the bloody audio. Sheesh

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
The only thing Jeep should be ashamed of is making the Wrangler appeal to people who buy one to whine about the bloody audio. Sheesh
Not sure why someone would think top quality audio was the goal of a vehicle designed around going off road with a removable top and doors.

OP
OP
Sector281411

Sector281411

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Gladiator Willy's Edition
If they don’t want people to point out their shortcomings about the audio they shouldn’t charge $1300 for an option that comes with $18 dollar speakers when the base level speakers cost $16 each.
This is a rip off pure and simple.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
As we all know the Wrangler is not an inexpensive vehicle to purchase and with that in mind.....

The JLU I bought came with the upgraded Alpine Speaker system, HOWEVER, it also came with the small 5 inch radio. I don't know how the hell this is even an available purchase option. There is no way the upgraded sound system should come with the POS 5 inch radio.

Even if you can get past that, which I just cannot and I am replacing my head unit next week, I have been replacing some of my speakers.

This is an example of the trash that the Alpine upgrade gets you. Below you will see the comparison of the "PREMIUM" Alpine speakers and a cheap set of Infiniti Reference 3032cfx Speakers. These cost me $79 on Crutchfield and that includes the adapters. They sound so much better it is not even funny, and they are substantially beefier all around.

The knee speakers I replaced also using the Metra Speaker pods for the Jeep JL with 6.5 Focal speakers. I spent $229 on speakers and the sound I am getting out of the 5 inch head unit is so much better. I hate getting ripped off and I wish I hadn't paid for this upgrade and had gone base level sound and upgraded myself.

I really feel like Jeep should be ashamed with this and do a better job on the smaller details.

IMG-2274.jpg

IMG-2271.jpg

IMG-2272.jpg
why did you buy it then, you obviously knew it had the base 5" head unit?

I didnt know you could get the upgraded alpine without the technology package which was 700 but gave the 7" u-connect.

of course many on this forum recommend the 8.4 and the Alpine which is how I ordered both of mine. have the 8.4 and alpine in my Hemi Overland and the 8.4 and 18 spkr HK in my SRT, and chrysler didnt force or fool me since I researched and ordered them that way.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sector281411

Sector281411

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Gladiator Willy's Edition
why did you buy it then, you obviously knew it had the base 5" head unit?

I didnt know you could get the upgraded alpine without the technology package which was 700 but gave the 7" u-connect.

of course many on this forum recommend the 8.4 and the Alpine which is how I ordered both of mine. have the 8.4 and alpine in my Hemi Overland and the 8.4 and 18 spkr HK in my SRT, and chrysler didnt force or fool me since I researched and ordered them that way.
That’s really nice for you

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
If they don’t want people to point out their shortcomings about the audio they shouldn’t charge $1300 for an option that comes with $18 dollar speakers when the base level speakers cost $16 each.
This is a rip off pure and simple.
Value is rarely, if ever, found in a factory audio upgrade. You can always spend less and get more aftermarket except for the labor piece. And that’s what many fail to put in the calculation. If you spend less on aftermarket speakers than the factory upgrade and spend 8 hours to install them, your “savings“ depends on how you value your time. If you like working on your vehicle, then aftermarket makes sense. If you don’t like working on your vehicle, or don’t have the tools/skills, or value your time differently, then probably worth it to either pay the factory or an aftermarket shop.

i like doing some work on the Jeep, and probably have about 20 hours on various ham/cb/GMRS installs so far (prototyping and testing), will spend the rest of today finishing off the power run and tidying the cables. But I know that is an opportunity cost if I wanted to do something else that pays money.

BeachNJeep

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubi 4xe, 2020 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
Occupation
Sub-acute hospital administrator
To compete with the Bronco, I read that all 2021 and newer Jeeps will at least have the 7" unit. The 5" is going away. That's the beauty of competition: it causes the manufacturer to improve the product to remain competitive. I wouldn't be surprised to see LED headlights become standard, too, since the Bronco has them standard.
We all have to remember that Jeep is a business first. They wanted to eek out every last penny of profit on each of their units sold. Nickel and diming the consumer with costly packages to get a simple radio is commonplace and criticizing Jeep for exercising it's entrepreneurial spirit is an affront to capitalism.
Sure, I'm disappointed that I got an early production Sport S with a 5" radio and dome lights that don't utilize the map lights (look at the other threads about this) and without the rumored standard safety tech that will come with the 2021 models. But that's what we get as early adopters or a new product.
Bitch all you want, but if you're a shareholder of FCA and you're getting a decent dividend, then that's what it's all about: shareholder profits. Making customers happy is secondary (though we know the inverse is true and a better strategy: make the customers happy and that will increase share holder profits).
And before the Bronco fanboys start with their diatribes of superiority, Ford puts cheap crap on their cars, too, and utilizes their parts bin whenever they can.
It's manufacturing 101 and sales 102: use the cheapest labor and parts and build for obsolescence to force the consumer to upgrade with the new product cycle.
Thank you Bronco for pushing Jeep's hand and shame on Jeep for having to wait for competition. Jeep, you have a loyal fan base and we should be treated better...
Ford, as you read this, and we know you are on this forum trolling all of us, take notes!!

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Manufacturer-supplied audio upgrades are almost always a poor value for the money- that's not unique to FCA/Jeep.

It'll never happen, but it would be awesome if a vehicle could be ordered with no audio components- just the wiring (but then the manufacturer would miss out on one of the more profitable portions of the vehicle, so...)! Of course, the radio is getting incorporated more and more into things like climate control, etc.- so the days of just simply replacing the head unit (at least without spending a mint to get something manufactured to be compatible with all the systems) are gone.

I've heard the Alpine system in a friend's Jeep- it isn't awful (but for about $700 in upgraded components, we both agree my base system sounds better). I've replaced all the speakers in my JL, and- without a doubt- replacing those dash speakers was the biggest difference (I didn't have the Alpine system, but the speakers I tossed from the dash look at LOT like the OPs). Next biggest improvement came from adding an underseat powered sub. Third was swapping out the little speakers in the overhead pod for 6.5" speakers (Alpine considers those speakers to be "fillers" but if you put a decent size up there they become an important part of the system). Finally, swapping out the little knee speakers for 6.5" speakers did fill things out. Takes a total of maybe 8 hours to do all the above, and you end up with a great sounding system.

I get why people get the Alpine upgrade (maybe they don't want to have do anything to the sound system), but- if you can follow some Crutchfield directions- just get the base system and improve on it.

Rumplemenz

First Name
Geno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Explorer Sport, 1986 Ford Mustang Notchback
Why do they do it? Bc they can... which is why the best thing that cld have happened (for future jeep owners) is for a wrangler to no longer be unique. Ford and fca going to battle it out. Long overdue
Sponsored