Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Steer smarts recommends .4-.5° positive toe. dont know what comes out to in inches. my alignment machine gives me real time numbers when we set up a Jeep.

For any other Jeep, i like to stay .2-.3° positive usually

brett
Sponsored

OP
OP

grandsrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Are use 2 four foot levels and clamp them to my tires so basically the same way. It does seem to work a lot more accurate then using the tape measure on the actual tire. I don’t measure all the way out at the end of each level, I measured just in front of and behind the tire.
Or poor mans way, clamp 2 4' 2x4s to each tire then measure, lol.

OP
OP

grandsrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Steer smarts recommends .4-.5° positive toe. dont know what comes out to in inches. my alignment machine gives me real time numbers when we set up a Jeep.

For any other Jeep, i like to stay .2-.3° positive usually

brett
Have you setup a Jeep jl based on both those numbers and how did each drive? Thats what im looking for here.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Have you setup a Jeep jl based on both those numbers and how did each drive? Thats what im looking for here.
lol of course! I honestly can’t tell much of a difference. We’re talking such a minor difference I don’t see it affecting driving characteristics much. One to two tenths of a degree isn’t your issue.

what I see more than anything is when someone brings us a Jeep they installed a lift on is generally low caster or really loose hardware. The caster issue is because the lift that was chosen isnt complete or the control arms need adjustment.

If you’re having issues, come see us when we get back from our wheeling trip and we can put it on the alignment rack.

brett

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I learned via the instructions in the ORO U-Turn steering system. I use two pieces of 48" long aluminum angle stock (attached to the outside of the tires with bungees) and then lay one tape measurer in front of and one to the rear of each tire. It helps when you have the tapes oriented so you can read the measurements on the same side as where you adjust the tie rod. Make sure the tapes are touching their respective tread and the rear tape isn't bent/influenced by lower control arms or frame.

Here's the instructions:

Attachments

Sponsored

OP
OP

grandsrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
lol of course! I honestly can’t tell much of a difference. We’re talking such a minor difference I don’t see it affecting driving characteristics much. One to two tenths of a degree isn’t your issue.

what I see more than anything is when someone brings us a Jeep they installed a lift on is generally low caster or really loose hardware. The caster issue is because the lift that was chosen isnt complete or the control arms need adjustment.

If you’re having issues, come see us when we get back from our wheeling trip and we can put it on the alignment rack.

brett
Good point, plus i need a trip to College station, lol. My jeep is stock btw.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I wish I had access to an alignment rack whenever. I'm still trying to dial in alignment.

Recently had steering TSB performed. Everything on the suspension and steering are brand new. Everything is tight and torqued to spec. I've checked alignment twice recently on a rack at a shop. Caster is measuring 6.2 degrees driver and 6.3 degrees passenger.

I was still having some wobble issues on bumps. Decided only adjustment option was toe setting. Using the setup I described previously, I tried multiple toe settings. Went back to spec toe in setting. Since I don't have a rack, had to use inches instead of degrees... tried to use an online calculator to convert. Started at 1/8" toe in since I hadn't tried toe in since steering upgrade. No change, actually worse. Adjusted to 1/16 toe in. No change, felt more flighty and loose. tried neutral zero toe... no bueno. Then worked my way toe out 1/16" at a time. Steering firmed significantly at 5/16" toe out. Very slight steering wheel shimmy over large bumps at speed. Feels much better. Tightened everything back up and marked my current settings with a paint pen.

Full Steer Smarts setup. I know from the forum and talking to Steer Smarts directly, they recommend 0.4-0.5 degrees toe out, in spite of what is considered "normal". Brett (rustyshakelford) has said he runs that on all his builds and personal rigs. Using a degrees to inches calculator for 36.5" tire diameter, 5/16" (0.3125) converts to 0.49 degrees. Super curious if that translates to the same on a rack.

Hoping that is the "sweet spot" everyone talks about. Getting ready for a road trip to colorado, so we'll see. Curious of any long term effects of toe out. Just wanted to share my experience.

OP
OP

grandsrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I wish I had access to an alignment rack whenever. I'm still trying to dial in alignment.

Recently had steering TSB performed. Everything on the suspension and steering are brand new. Everything is tight and torqued to spec. I've checked alignment twice recently on a rack at a shop. Caster is measuring 6.2 degrees driver and 6.3 degrees passenger.

I was still having some wobble issues on bumps. Decided only adjustment option was toe setting. Using the setup I described previously, I tried multiple toe settings. Went back to spec toe in setting. Since I don't have a rack, had to use inches instead of degrees... tried to use an online calculator to convert. Started at 1/8" toe in since I hadn't tried toe in since steering upgrade. No change, actually worse. Adjusted to 1/16 toe in. No change, felt more flighty and loose. tried neutral zero toe... no bueno. Then worked my way toe out 1/16" at a time. Steering firmed significantly at 5/16" toe out. Very slight steering wheel shimmy over large bumps at speed. Feels much better. Tightened everything back up and marked my current settings with a paint pen.

Full Steer Smarts setup. I know from the forum and talking to Steer Smarts directly, they recommend 0.4-0.5 degrees toe out, in spite of what is considered "normal". Brett (rustyshakelford) has said he runs that on all his builds and personal rigs. Using a degrees to inches calculator for 36.5" tire diameter, 5/16" (0.3125) converts to 0.49 degrees. Super curious if that translates to the same on a rack.

Hoping that is the "sweet spot" everyone talks about. Getting ready for a road trip to colorado, so we'll see. Curious of any long term effects of toe out. Just wanted to share my experience.
The 3 things that absolutely made my Jeep drive like a JK again was
-New adj tbar to get rid of soft stock bushings
-New TSB steering box
-longer mopar controls arms to get to 5* Caster.
Good luck

Tab

First Name
Tab
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler sport s

Mike, how did this work out for you?? Thanks
Sponsored