Sponsored

Jeep JL Toe Settings

grandsrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
All, i searched and have not seen much data from individuals on which specific toe settings are truly working on the JLs.
I have seen a few posts that 1/8" to 1/4" toe IN is best. Have also seen folks using dead center 0* and even some that have toe OUT cases.
What specific TOE is working best for your Jeep JL please?
Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
1/8" IN for me, with 35s on 2.5" of lift. Drives great. I had toe OUT after first installing my lift, it drove like one of those travelling fair bumper cars that will travel in a straight line.

OP
OP

grandsrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
1/8" IN for me, with 35s on 2.5" of lift. Drives great. I had toe OUT after first installing my lift, it drove like one of those travelling fair bumper cars that will travel in a straight line.
Thank you very much for the data point. Was it total 1/8" IN? What is left vs right?

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
So many different answers on this. I'm trying to find the "correct answer" too. Reputable people have told me both. I've tried both.

Sponsored

OP
OP

grandsrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
So many different answers on this. I'm trying to find the "correct answer" too. Reputable people have told me both. I've tried both.
I agree. Starting to beleive there is a magic number here to solve some of the steering issues.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree. Starting to beleive there is a magic number here to solve some of the steering issues.
Right? same. My issue started within 50 miles of swapping my tie rod and changing my toe setting. I haven't been able to get it back since. And can't get an exact answer on what it "should be". And I can't get it aligned for 90$ every week to try a new micro adjustment so I've been doing myself at home.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I also aim for 1 / 8" total toe IN. Have used that on TJ's, XJ's, a CJ-5, a ZJ, and both of my JLUR's with great success. All have had excellent tire wear and excellent handling.

I've been setting my own toe for Jeeps for a long time. It's very fast and easy and costs less than $20 for parts the first time. I'm a firm believer in checking toe anytime I change something in the front suspension or steering. Doing it myself allows me to do it prior to putting my tools away.

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
I don’t have my jeep yet. I normally like on most vehicles an 1/8 inch in to 1/4 inch in. But I read quite a few people on here say that a little bit of toe out works best on these. I suggest trying an 1/8 inch toe in and then immediately go to an 1/8 inch toe out and see what each one feels like and go from there. I also believe that caster and camber does not come out from the factory identical on every jeep. So what feels right on one jeep might feel wrong on another.

OP
OP

grandsrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I don’t have my jeep yet. I normally like on most vehicles an 1/8 inch in to 1/4 inch in. But I read quite a few people on here say that a little bit of toe out works best on these. I suggest trying an 1/8 inch toe in and then immediately go to an 1/8 inch toe out and see what each one feels like and go from there. I also believe that caster and camber does not come out from the factory identical on every jeep. So what feels right on one jeep might feel wrong on another.
Ok, good point. -1/8" to 1/8"

Sponsored

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
I have never attempted my own alignment of any vehicle. After doing some reading, it appears that the jeep is one of the simplest to "self align".

How are you taking your measurements to determine an 1/8" ? this seems to be very exact, especially if a difference is noticed between 0 and 1/8, I would assume the same difference would be noticed if I where to instead hit 3/16 or 7/32....you get the point. I would be interested in some real world ideas on how to do this.

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I also aim for 1 / 8" total toe IN. Have used that on TJ's, XJ's, a CJ-5, a ZJ, and both of my JLUR's with great success. All have had excellent tire wear and excellent handling.

I've been setting my own toe for Jeeps for a long time. It's very fast and easy and costs less than $20 for parts the first time. I'm a firm believer in checking toe anytime I change something in the front suspension or steering. Doing it myself allows me to do it prior to putting my tools away.
^^^ this.
I have been doing my own alignments for years,
1/8” IN

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have never attempted my own alignment of any vehicle. After doing some reading, it appears that the jeep is one of the simplest to "self align".

How are you taking your measurements to determine an 1/8" ? this seems to be very exact, especially if a difference is noticed between 0 and 1/8, I would assume the same difference would be noticed if I where to instead hit 3/16 or 7/32....you get the point. I would be interested in some real world ideas on how to do this.
I don't know if this is "right"... but the best method I've found is 2 pieces of 48" long aluminum angle and 4 small clamps and I clamp it directly to the rotors. I mark center and I mark the ends of my tire diameter. I set the aluminum at level on each side and measure front and measure the back. Its allowed me to get much more precise than measuring off the actual tire like some do.
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep JL Toe Settings 1594663301102

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep JL Toe Settings 1594663333003

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
I don't know if this is "right"... but the best method I've found is 2 pieces of 48" long aluminum angle and 4 small clamps and I clamp it directly to the rotors. I mark center and I mark the ends of my tire diameter. I set the aluminum at level on each side and measure front and measure the back. Its allowed me to get much more precise than measuring off the actual tire like some do.

well, if thats not right, it sure does sound "good enough". Thanks!

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
Are use 2 four foot levels and clamp them to my tires so basically the same way. It does seem to work a lot more accurate then using the tape measure on the actual tire. I don’t measure all the way out at the end of each level, I measured just in front of and behind the tire.
Sponsored