Sponsored

Jeep Drivers Categories

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
After playing around with Jeep’s (for the purpose of this discussion a “Jeep” is a CJ, YJ, TJ, JK, or JL-we will be ignoring those poor benighted folks who think a Compass, Patriot, Renegade, Cherokee or Grand Cherokee is a Jeep and think that you and I drive “Wranglers”😏) I’ve found that there are four distinctive groups of folks who love Jeeps. These are:
(1). “Jeepers”. These are the folks who buy and drive their Jeeps pretty much daily. They’re not too interested in off-road, but like the high seating, maneuverability, and “convertible” aspects of the mark. Their rigs are basically stock, with a few extra dress up parts. You’ll find them in town, on the beach, or cruising country lanes. Usually the Jeep will be opened up in warm weather and they’ll have a big smile on their faces. Their Jeeps are usually pristine.
(2). “Off roaders”. These are the folks the original CJ was built for. They work and/or play outdoors and like to get away from the crowds. They’ll drive down old 2 track just to see where is goes. They’ll be running more aggressive tires than stock, will have limited slip or locking diff’s. Their rigs will carry a winch and basic self rescue and survival kit. They may have a mild lift. If these folks are on the trail and encounter a 4’ rock wall or a 3’ deep mudhole they’ll drive around it and continue down the trail. Their rigs will often be seen splattered with mud or covered with dust.
(3). SERIOUS Off roaders. These are the “wild and crazy” part of the family. Their rigs will run big lifts, monster tires, beadlock wheels, winches, compressors, heavy duty bumpers and rock rails, lockers, full belly armor and a range of heavy duty rescue gear, plus extra fuel. They are all about off road capability and will gladly talk at length about angles of approach and departure, amount of axle articulation, gearing, etc. when They come up on a 4’ rock wall or 3’ deep mudhole their reaction is “cool! I can get over (or through) that” and they do! Road manners, ride comfort and fuel economy are all gladly sacrificed in the name of capability. The various skid plate under their rig will have a lot of scrape marks. Their Jeep will be seen totally covered in mud or dirt. When clean it will show a ding here or there and will some fairly good scratches. These folks routinely go places most folks would say are impossible to access by vehicle.
(4). The “Walter Mitty’s”. These are the folks who love the look of group three Jeeps, but would never dream of actually attempting the obstacles that group routinely tackles. Their Jeeps will be lifted and have big tires (37’s or larger) often on the beadlock look wheels. They love the “look” and the image of a “go anywhere” image. Their rigs always attract a lot of attention because of the rugged looks combined with the pristine appearance of the rig. They will seldom have a winch or rescue equipment (don’t need it), though for some strange reason I’ve seen several with an exterior mounted high lift jack. They will not have skids, and if they do, the skid plates will be immaculate. They tend to be teased as “mall crawlers”, but it’s mostly good natured kidding. Unfortunately a few of these folks tend to expound to the newbies that a Jeep is incapable of going down a trail unless it’s running a lift and 37’s😳 (maybe they really believe it?).

That then is our family, warts and all. We have a wide range of interests and motives but are United by a common love of the Jeep. We can and do customize our rigs to suit our individual lifestyle. We ALL have a duty to help the newbies find their way, and give them sound advice. We also have a duty to leave the trails we travel in at least as good a condition as when we found them. Finally, we need to support and help one another. It’s ok to kid around or good naturedly tease the other guy a little bit, but If you see a brother or sister broke down or stuck, or whatever take a minute and give them a hand. You know you’d appreciate it if You were the one needing help.
Sponsored

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I’d say these groups are fairly accurate, with most of us floating between groups.

I lean towards group 3, but I’d hardly call 35’s and a 2.5” lift extreme these days. Definitely up for driving over any rocks I can find, but mud holes can take off!

Just had my Jeep in some peanut-butter-like mud a couple weeks back and it was horrifying to clean… she’s all pretty now, though!

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Drivers Categories 1666891410374

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Drivers Categories 1666891449949

rdfact

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURXR, '01 WJ
I'm between 2 and 3.
I must be the weird cousin of the family that also drives a "non-Jeep" Jeep. 2001 Grand Cherokee with a 3" lift, 33's, winch, V8, limited slip, solid axles, Dana 44 rear, Dana 30 front. It has more flex than my '21 Rubicon XR.

IMG_3333.jpg

Sponsored

Ang1Sgt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys 2 door, 2020 Subaru Outback,
Occupation
Retired X2
Vehicle Showcase
Nice post! Pretty Much Spot on!

I’m a 2 and have been that way since my first Jeep back in 1975. Keep them pretty much stock but I’m willing to take that dirt road or seasonal use road anytime I get the chance. The more aggressive tires……Yep. But not too much so. I think some of my hearing loss was due to my CJ running Armstrong Snow tires all year round. LOL!

OP
OP

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'm between 2 and 3.
I must be the weird cousin of the family that also drives a "non-Jeep" Jeep. 2001 Grand Cherokee with a 3" lift, 33's, winch, V8, limited slip, solid axles, Dana 44 rear, Dana 30 front. It has more flex than my '21 Rubicon XR.

IMG_3333.jpg
Nice rig! I remember when 31’s on my TJ were “big tire”😊

OP
OP

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nice post! Pretty Much Spot on!

I’m a 2 and have been that way since my first Jeep back in 1975. Keep them pretty much stock but I’m willing to take that dirt road or seasonal use road anytime I get the chance. The more aggressive tires……Yep. But not too much so. I think some of my hearing loss was due to my CJ running Armstrong Snow tires all year round. LOL!
I’m also a 2-have been forever. I’ve got a set of Rubi takeoff KO2’s on mine. Those old M&S tires sure would sing😳

Apexcars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500
I'm a 1.8. I would be a 2 except my wife says the Jeep is pretty and gets mad if I don't keep it clean. My new bumpers and winch are getting delivered this week and she has told me in no uncertain terms that she does NOT want me to put bumpers and a winch on it because she does not want it "bro-ed out." We will see how mad she really gets when she sees it.

Asuriyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR (6MT)
I was in category 3, but I'm sticking between 1 and 2 while I'm under warranty. Haven't had any trouble keeping up with my JK buddies yet, and that's all I care about. I'm not here to impress anyone. Still gotta break 'er in.
I'm a 1.8. I would be a 2 except my wife says the Jeep is pretty and gets mad if I don't keep it clean. My new bumpers and winch are getting delivered this week and she has told me in no uncertain terms that she does NOT want me to put bumpers and a winch on it because she does not want it "bro-ed out." We will see how mad she really gets when she sees it.
Bumpers and winches are practical and functional. You need at least two unnecessary light bars and a set of fake-beadlock Fuel wheels to rate "bro-out" status.

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Unapologetic #4 (whose had at least one Jeep in the garage for 25 years.) I lived at 8,200' in the Colorado Rockies where EVERY household owns a Jeep.

Tell you what: if you promise not to make fun of me for not going off-road in my off-roader, I'll return the favor by not rolling my eyes when you purposely take your $60K vehicle into harm's way. :)

As the OP pointed out: different strokes....

Last edited:

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
I'm closer to a 2 than a 1, probably around 1.7 to 1.8. In my younger days with my CJ5 (and my friends varieties of 4x4s), definitely a 2.5, but today my JLU is my DD, and as much as I enjoy getting it dirty, we don't have a lot of public areas where I live that we can wheel, unless you want to go trespassing on someone's land and get shot at.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
There's a lot of people between 2 & 3, myself included. But I don't think it's a straight linear progression between them. There's nuances.

The key difference between 2 & 3 is purpose and motivation. 2's purpose and motivation is reaching locations. Obstacles are just in the way and something to get around or over in the easiest manner possible to reach your destination. 3's purpose and motivation are the obstacles themselves. The obstacles are the destinations. They will find and attempt any obstacle they can. Often circling back to re-attempt an obstacle on a different line.

This makes for some weird overlap. You can have a hardcore 2, where the easiest route to their destination location is not at all easy, in spite of bypassing every obstacle possible. You can also have a conservative 3, who seeks out minor obstacles and is satisfied with that. These two are not the same and it's not a linear progression from one to the other.

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
I'm a 3 at heart, but the current rig is limiting me to like a 2.7. Most of my off-roading is taking rough roads to get to the most remote and non-populated hunting locations as possible (accessible by vehicle anyway), but I also love a good difficult trail with local off-road clubs, to be outside in nature and push the limits of my rig at the same time. I try to be realistic with what it can and can't do, which means I'm putting it through a lot (I actually need to break out the black rattle can to clean up the steel bumpers and sliders from my last outing still), but still not doing everything I want to with it. Still on 35s, after all... can't wait for the 37s in my future!

Sidewalk

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR

There is a reason I keep a storage tote for camping gear, and another for MTB gear. Running shoes and shorts are permanently stashed inside just in case of emergency (started doing that after I got stood up on a date, and just went for a run instead). I like getting away from people.

I will eventually be more 3 (see profile photo), but 2 for now.
Sponsored