Jeep camper

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
well without going into. A lot of details I am going to a semi van life state of existence. A couple of reasons. But the big one I love my Jeep so much I don’t want to rack up 100,000 miles on pavement. So I decided to buy a van and build it out as livable. To work out of. Being a Jeep guy my choice of vans is predicated on being able to convert it to. 4 wheel drive. No I can,t afford and don’t want a Mercedes benz sprinter. Every day I walk my dogs past a brand new rubicon gladiator. And today it hits me like a hammer on an anvil. So jeep if you are listening do this take the rubicon gladiator and build a camper on it. Use the front hood, and front 2 sears build the van top from there back add a acouple battle born deep cycle batteries solar have the front seat have the removable top maybe build it tall enough to stand up in a water tank etc. if you think I am crazy some of those Benz camper vans are 200k. I would buy a Jeep camper in a heart beat unless they charged 200 k for it And guess what a bone stock Benz 4x4 is 69 k if you can find one. Used 40 year old Vanagons are 35-40 k it would sell like crazy . People are paying 13 k for a 4x4 conversion to a ford transit. With no lockers no lift running a 225 70 16 add the lift lockers to the conversion. And you are pushing. 20 k. It’s a crazy world out here
Sponsored

Joy Rider

First Name
Joy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
I ordered an Ursa Minor in January. When I asked about delivery I was told not to expect delivery until September. In nearly the same breathe, he offered me a refund. That was not encouraging. But I’m going to hold out. I have a Columbus from Autohome and it works just fine for now.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
well without going into. A lot of details I am going to a semi van life state of existence. A couple of reasons. But the big one I love my Jeep so much I don’t want to rack up 100,000 miles on pavement. So I decided to buy a van and build it out as livable. To work out of. Being a Jeep guy my choice of vans is predicated on being able to convert it to. 4 wheel drive. No I can,t afford and don’t want a Mercedes benz sprinter. Every day I walk my dogs past a brand new rubicon gladiator. And today it hits me like a hammer on an anvil. So jeep if you are listening do this take the rubicon gladiator and build a camper on it. Use the front hood, and front 2 sears build the van top from there back add a acouple battle born deep cycle batteries solar have the front seat have the removable top maybe build it tall enough to stand up in a water tank etc. if you think I am crazy some of those Benz camper vans are 200k. I would buy a Jeep camper in a heart beat unless they charged 200 k for it And guess what a bone stock Benz 4x4 is 69 k if you can find one. Used 40 year old Vanagons are 35-40 k it would sell like crazy . People are paying 13 k for a 4x4 conversion to a ford transit. With no lockers no lift running a 225 70 16 add the lift lockers to the conversion. And you are pushing. 20 k. It’s a crazy world out here

I think the most economical 4x4 camper solution is the pick up truck way.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
The Ursa Minor is a good option

1000x500-jtree-j30-white.jpg
My favorite Youtuber lives and works out of Ursa Minor. @Venture4wd Chris has been living out of his Jeep and overlanding for over three years. He puts out a weekly video and has a great format. He has a ton of content all over the US, and Canada.

This is his vid on the Ursa Minor after living in it for three years. Give him a watch.

He also records all of his travel, way points, camp spots....litereally everywhere he goes. Then if you subscribe to his patreon account you can download all of his gps data.

https://www.patreon.com/venture4wd

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
My favorite Youtuber lives and works out of Ursa Minor. @Venture4wd Chris has been living out of his Jeep and overlanding for over three years. He puts out a weekly video and has a great format. He has a ton of content all over the US, and Canada.

This is his vid on the Ursa Minor after living in it for three years. Give him a watch.

He also records all of his travel, way points, camp spots....litereally everywhere he goes. Then if you subscribe to his patreon account you can download all of his gps data.

This is one of the best reviews I've ever seen on the camper top. Thanks.

Sponsored

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Chris is one of my favorites as well . He uses his vehicle to get him places he wants to be at and that's pretty much my purpose as well. I do not need to climb over huge rocks or slide down to a dark hole just for the fun of it but get me up through the tough rough terrain of Death Valley and that's what this great traveler does.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I use a teardrop camper. 1600 lbs, diesel and electric furnace, internet and computer, generator and (outside) kitchen. I installed an axle lift for big clearance. Best of both worlds.
jeepcmpr.jpg

Not a bad set up but wouldn't you prefer the way Chris Schontz does it?

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
I have my eye on the airstream basecamp. Comes with a toilet and shower. I don’t think my 2 door could tow it but I want one so bad
I would love a Basecamp too. But our 2-doors have a tow rating of 2,000 lbs. The Basecamp weighs ~2,600 lbs.

Check out the Tab 320S. They weigh in at just under 2,000 lbs.

Sponsored

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase

I subscribe to his channel and watch his videos every Saturday. I can't believe his Ursa Minor survived when he rolled onto his side in Canada. They definitely seem well made. I wish they made a version for 2 Door Jeeps.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I subscribe to his channel and watch his videos every Saturday. I can't believe his Ursa Minor survived when he rolled onto his side in Canada. They definitely seem well made. I wish they made a version for 2 Door Jeeps.
My wife and I watch him every Saturday or Sunday morning while drinking coffee to catch his new content. We also at time watch three or four episodes at night during the week. We binge watch him often. We will probably have all of his videos watched by the end of the month.

I was really suprised that there was not more damage to the Jeep and the camper during the roll over. I was shocked that he rolled his Jeep because for all of it, he is pretty conservative when he wheels. Hell, he didn't even have a winch for the longest time.

My wife and I will be spending extended time on the road overlanding for 6 to 9 months at a time when she retires next year. In the spring of 2022, we will be off roading from Arizona to Alaska. I plan on using many of Chris's routes that he has available via Patreon.

CallMeJoe

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Not a bad set up but wouldn't you prefer the way Chris Schontz does it?
It's a horse apiece for me. I am attracted to the no-trailer experience and used to do my adventures with a Ural sidecar motorcycle and a tent, but my 65 year old adventures don't let me get much enjoyment from tents anymore. Too much arthritis. I also do a lot of my traveling in the winter so heat is a huge deal for me. My trailer is small and nimble enough to get into plenty of mischief and I usually drop it at camp for day trips where it's tough going (Moab, etc). It's a fine place to crawl into at a truck stop for cross country work and has so many convenience's that just can't be had with an RTT, tent or other styles. TEHO....

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's a horse apiece for me. I am attracted to the no-trailer experience and used to do my adventures with a Ural sidecar motorcycle and a tent, but my 65 year old adventures don't let me get much enjoyment from tents anymore. Too much arthritis. I also do a lot of my traveling in the winter so heat is a huge deal for me. My trailer is small and nimble enough to get into plenty of mischief and I usually drop it at camp for day trips where it's tough going (Moab, etc). It's a fine place to crawl into at a truck stop for cross country work and has so many convenience's that just can't be had with an RTT, tent or other styles. TEHO....

I undestand .Bon Voyage.
Sponsored