Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2018 JLUR with a Mopar 2" lift and 37" tires. I am planning a long 1/2 cross country trip in the JL and just purchased the Teraflex HD spare tire carrier (using an old Mopar hinge reinforcement kit, until Teraflex releases their hinge kit). I had beeing running the Jeep as my daily drive (local) without a spare for a while now. Now that the spare is on the back of the Jeep for security purposes during the long drive, I've begun to wonder how I would even be able to jack up the rig given its increased stance. When at home, I just use my Harbor Freight hydraulic jack to do anything on the Jeep, but I don't plan on carrying it with me on this trip.

I am considering a 48" HiLift jack since my JCR Offroad bumpers have the fitting/hole in them for a HiLift jack. I would not mount it across the top of my hood as some guys do, since that simply reminds me of a guillotine in an accident. I would consider mounting it on the rear bumper and on the drivers side running board/side step/slider.

What has everyone else done for jacking up purposes on the road? What are you thoughts on the HiLift solution?

PS. Below are pics of the Jeep with the Teraflex HD spare tire carrier. I didn't use the Teraflex bracket for the factory brake light, instead I have both a Rugged Ridge LED light ring behind the spare that lights up and the Off Road Only license plate combination brake and license plate light mounted on the Artec license plate relocation kit.

Ps. I just ordered a 48" HiLift Jack and the Dominion Offroad mount for inside on the roll bar after reading a bunch of posts in another thread on the same topic.

Jeep Wrangler JL Jacking up a lifted Jeep IMG_1317
Sponsored

Last edited:

BCalvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys JLU, 1996 Porsche 993, 2007 Hummer H3
I just checked the stock scissor jack on the mopar lift and 35's and it just barely worked.
I plan to get this and i'm sure it will work with yours too.

Jeep Wrangler JL Jacking up a lifted Jeep 82215637ab-am

I'm under the impression that a hi-lift needs compatible bumpers.

NoahVD

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
hi lift jacks are pretty terrible for tire changes. Since they usually lift from the body or bumpers of the vehicle you have to first lift all the sag off your suspension before a tire will lift off the ground. You would be better off with something under the stock jack to bring it up enough to compensate for the larger tires.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I bought the AEV jack base and store it in the cargo cubby.

Sponsored

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
How much does your wheel and tire combo weight?
I have 100lb wheel and tire combo and trying to see if OEM gate can handle it with just mopar reinforcement.
Planning to get spacer block for OEM jack, just makes it easier.

CallMeJoe

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
If you're like me and always out of swag cash, you can go the po-boy route and cut a few pieces of 2X4 into 8" lengths. I have half a dozen or so in the storage bin under my rear deck.
Occam's Razor:
"All things being equal, the simplest solution is the best solution." And in this case, also the lightest and cheapest....
If you have a Sahara, you can get attractive Mopar body color paint for the 2X4's....

OP
OP
BobK

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
How much does your wheel and tire combo weight?
I have 100lb wheel and tire combo and trying to see if OEM gate can handle it with just mopar reinforcement.
Planning to get spacer block for OEM jack, just makes it easier.
The wheel tire combo is 100 pounds plus maybe close to 110. When I first mounted the Mopar hinge kit and the Teraflex spare tire carrier, despite my precautions I noticed a slight droop of the tailgate. Once I had the tire on it, the bottom of the tailgate was dragging across the top of the bumper and would noticeably drop upon opening. I had to unmount the tire and loosen the four hinge bolts and all the eight Teraflex bolts. I then wedge some thin plywood under the door (while open) to realign the gate and hinges. I then torqued them all back down......

I decided to ditch the four hinge bolts with the Torx head. Whoever thought torqueing a Torx headed bolt should have their head examined. Instead I went to my local hardware store and bought four hex headed bolts (10mm x 1.5mm x 55mm) and then after they were tight, I masked them off and gave them a shot of black spray paint. They look like they belong on a Jeep and were able to be torqued without getting stripped.

With all these adjustment, the tailgate open and closes with no noticeable droop. However, once Teraflex introduces their HD hinge kit for the JL that actually replaces the actual hinges themselves, I will buy and install it for sure.

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
so is the pinch seam the right place to jack up the jeep with the scissor jacks? I plan on using bottle jacks but i need to find a secure spot where i won't experience any slippage.

OP
OP
BobK

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I just checked the stock scissor jack on the mopar lift and 35's and it just barely worked.
I plan to get this and i'm sure it will work with yours too.

Jeep Wrangler JL Jacking up a lifted Jeep 82215637ab-am

I'm under the impression that a hi-lift needs compatible bumpers.
Where did you find this product?

Sponsored

OP
OP
BobK

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
so is the pinch seam the right place to jack up the jeep with the scissor jacks? I plan on using bottle jacks but i need to find a secure spot where i won't experience any slippage.
I'm sure others will comment, but I always jack on the frame itself. The pinch seam is just where the body panels are merged and "pinched" at the bottom. I have a set of Rock Slide Engineering drop down step/sliders that mount through the pinch seam, but their weight is carried by three brackets per side that are mounted via the body mounts. As a result, I don't even see the pinch seam.

If I'm jacking the Jeep up onto four jack stands (all four wheels off the ground) I usually jack front and rear directly under the front and rear differential. If I am jacking one wheel off the ground then I choose a frame location near the wheel.

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I'm sure others will comment, but I always jack on the frame itself. The pinch seam is just where the body panels are merged and "pinched" at the bottom. I have a set of Rock Slide Engineering drop down step/sliders that mount through the pinch seam, but their weight is carried by three brackets per side that are mounted via the body mounts. As a result, I don't even see the pinch seam.

If I'm jacking the Jeep up onto four jack stands (all four wheels off the ground) I usually jack front and rear directly under the front and read differential. If I am jacking one wheel off the ground then I choose a frame location near the wheel.
Gotcha.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
If you are going to use a high lift, which it looks like you are, do some research online and learn how to use it properly. High lift jacks have a ton of uses and are great tools but people get hurt quite badly by them because they don't know how to use them safely.

OP
OP
BobK

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
If you are going to use a high lift, which it looks like you are, do some research online and learn how to use it properly. High lift jacks have a ton of uses and are great tools but people get hurt quite badly by them because they don't know how to use them safely.
Agreed. I ordered the base plate for it too, and both my bumpers have the cut out specifically for the HiLift.
Sponsored