Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Step one, remove this bolt

738148B9-3EA5-4E54-967B-B99928A2C4D8.jpeg

Step two, remove this bolt

39900101-0B3A-4615-867E-6BD1EA551D99.jpeg

Step 3 zip tie both links to the sway bar then push it up and you’re done!

Just try to be on flat level ground when you disconnect/reconnect. It’s that simple!
Thanks Austin. As a newbie this was very helpful. Surprisingly hard to find online until your post!
Sponsored

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Ordered this Thursday evening and Northridge already got it to my door step at my lunch break today.

c21063bf-9093-49bb-ae75-7b97fcfa4446-jpeg.jpg

Install tomorrow after work.
Lemme know how the install goes and upload pics! Mine didn't arrive until Tuesday but install isn't until this weekend.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
OP
OP
Billet_JLU

Billet_JLU

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport s 1999 Cherokee Sport
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Thanks Austin. As a newbie this was very helpful. Surprisingly hard to find online until your post!
Hey glad I can help, I hope I can help more people as I go!

OP
OP
Billet_JLU

Billet_JLU

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
If you plan to disconnect a cheap affordable upgrade is to install quick disconnect swaybars no bolts just a pin, some like the Rancho also provide a storage position pin (no wire ties needed).

http://www.gorancho.com/products/ac...nt-disconnect-sway-bar-link-kit-rs62126b.html
Yeah those are a good choice. I've kept them in mind but with Rubicon suspension I still consider the jeep stock height. I could order a set for no lift but once I get a lift I'll need to order another set for that height.

If i found some that were adjustable for no lift up to say 3.5" max and were reasonably priced I'd probably order them tonight.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Billet_JLU

Billet_JLU

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Winch install went smooth. I had to remove the front bumper but without a winch it was easy to remove. The winch fit great on the LoD winch plate that came with the bumper.

PlLVpe+JS5Kc17+dqHFqkw.jpg

dNgGnDfETP2nh8CDaFzlog.jpg

pimA0NMLQuydMiaQipN%kA.jpg

The winch still has plenty of room between the frame rails on either side. The solenoid box is pretty close to the grill but fits perfect. I wanted a low profile setup and I'm really happy with the way everything fit together.

A few pictures to show how close everything fits. The solenoid box is not touching the grill.

NCGEsgFoQ8OAR5cgHYGbvw.jpg

n81orXTXQuGjswA8BZHazg.jpg

Next for the wiring, I am still thinking about how to clean up the power and ground wires.

I ran them both above the sway bar and under the subframe.

pM0g8rPtTZqSq2y0VU1bKQ.jpg

After running under the subframe I ran them both up here between the airbox and the battery

EKiIsq1sRg+peQEfMwCoGQ.jpg

I finally attached the wires to the battery which I will clean up. I want to open the hood and have myself convinced the winch wires could have been installed from the factory.

fullsizeoutput_5bc.jpeg

If anyone has ideas on the wiring feel free to comment.

Overall I am really happy with the bumper and winch combo. I'll have to pretension the winch rope soon I just wound it up using hand pressure for the moment.

@TJ2018 I hope this is what you were looking for :like:

OP
OP
Billet_JLU

Billet_JLU

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
This is what I currently have in the back storage area.

fullsizeoutput_5c0.jpeg

I have:

Smittybilt tow strap
two towels
first aid kit from Walmart
air pressure gauge - I could later replace with a deflator but this works well for now.
off bug spray
winch controller and cable - I'll move this to the glove box when out on the trails.
Useless front license plate

All this tucks away just fine.

zOfHUR4UQV2vYKsI5w1aig.jpg

ggbK+HhTT3+RgQvTdGuwjw.jpg

I could also add the two D rings on the bumper as some gear. I should order a snatch block as well and I think this would be a good start.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Yeah those are a good choice. I've kept them in mind but with Rubicon suspension I still consider the jeep stock height. I could order a set for no lift but once I get a lift I'll need to order another set for that height.

If i found some that were adjustable for no lift up to say 3.5" max and were reasonably priced I'd probably order them tonight.
With all that weight on your front you really need a lift anyway. I installed the Rancho 3.5" lift with the RS 9000 adjustable shocks I cold not be happier with the ride.

They are adjustable however do require a 2"-6" lift, there is an extension bracket included in the kit. Get that lift as I am not sure disconnecting without a lift would have some clearance at full flex, I could be wrong though. Definitely if you have larger than stock tires...

The Brackets center bottom are the extensions, the Brackets center top go on the frame with the post that holds the bars when up. It is a great setup.

uv797xhnl4rnmxv1zcbi.jpg

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome build and funny we took very similar paths in the upgrade process.

Not that it matters at this point, but you can install the fog lights on the bumper and the wiring harness prior to installing the bumper. Then when the bumper is on you just connect it on the passenger side.

Also I'm surprised you had to take the bumper off for the winch install. I test measured it and noticed there was enough room (as you pointed out above) so I installed the winch after the bumper install. I also ran my wires the same as you (from what I can tell).

Sponsored

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL Rubicon - Black
Occupation
Retired Air Force - Currently in my Dream Job
:jk: Just a Sport? It’s a Wrangler baby! wear that badge with pride! :rock:

OP
OP
Billet_JLU

Billet_JLU

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
With all that weight on your front you really need a lift anyway. I installed the Rancho 3.5" lift with the RS 9000 adjustable shocks I cold not be happier with the ride.

They are adjustable however do require a 2"-6" lift, there is an extension bracket included in the kit. Get that lift as I am not sure disconnecting without a lift would have some clearance at full flex, I could be wrong though. Definitely if you have larger than stock tires...

The Brackets center bottom are the extensions, the Brackets center top go on the frame with the post that holds the bars when up. It is a great setup.

uv797xhnl4rnmxv1zcbi.jpg
Yeah I’m planning to do a lift at some point I just haven’t decided which one. I really want to do a Metalcloak lift but they are expensive. I’ve been waiting on the disconnects till I do a lift so I don’t have to buy stock height and then another set for a lift. I have the 285/70/17 ko2’s. I have springs from a hard top rubicon and with the plastic sport bumper I did not rub. I have a strong feeling with the new bumper and winch I probably will rub. I’d order a lift but I’m in South Carolina for work now then Mexico the second half of the year and I don’t have all my tools to install the lift at this time.

OP
OP
Billet_JLU

Billet_JLU

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Awesome build and funny we took very similar paths in the upgrade process.

Not that it matters at this point, but you can install the fog lights on the bumper and the wiring harness prior to installing the bumper. Then when the bumper is on you just connect it on the passenger side.

Also I'm surprised you had to take the bumper off for the winch install. I test measured it and noticed there was enough room (as you pointed out above) so I installed the winch after the bumper install. I also ran my wires the same as you (from what I can tell).
I installed the fog lights with the bumper off, once I installed the bumper I put the wires in and shortened the slack up with zip ties. As far as the winch goes I wired on the solenoid box onto the winch when it was off the Jeep. I tried to get all the wires into the slot for the winch in the bumper but everything was fitting close so I decided to just pull the bumper off. I didn’t want to pinch wires or scratch the grill for nothing since the winch was kinda heavy to hold and drop in.