It's just a sport

Dangitbilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I thought I would start a build thread for my jeep as it has grown up a little bit and will continue to grow in the future. Also I hope I can help any other sport owners as I go.

IMG_0413.jpeg

This is right after I brought it home from the dealership. This was the most exciting day ever. The Jeep is a billet silver sport s with the Uconnect 7" display, convenience group, mopar floor mats, and my favorite part a 6 speed manual. I learned billet silver is the least photogenic color but I think it looks great in person.

Of course immediately I had to get the top and doors off. Last time I was in a jeep topless and doorless was in my dads when I was a little kid.

IMG_0459.JPG

First thing was to put on the 285/70/17 ko2's. At the time I thought this was a great idea but doing it over I would skip them and go to 35's. I also removed the aerodynamic piece on the bumper somewhere along the way.

kXlm23udSPuxJ3us+1a48w.jpg

I thought that this size tire would be fine leaving the suspension stock but honestly I think the tires looked a stuffed in the wheel wells and then I wanted it lifted up a little bit more.

That lead to rubicon takeoff springs and shocks as well as the rubicon rails.

LqYpdfKzTv2GMf6jG90lXg.jpg

Along with this went the synergy 1 5/8 wheel spacers. I thought since I was going up might as well go a little wider.

TVQ0e3WaSo6%vmZPoZNn1A.jpg

With the rubicon rails on I felt good enough to go offroad so I wouldn't smash the pinch seam.

upload_2019-4-11_17-29-11.png

PGJHRIpSTMurjX+0LB6luw.jpg

evqRYtGHToCWY6exA9NKgw.jpg

I still had the sway bar connected and left the tires at 36psi. With this setup the rear tires just barely rubbed the rear fender. Nothing that would cause damage. Looking back at this I'll disconnect the sway bar every time I'm out I didn't need to be leaning this far and I'd prefer to let the front suspension work without the sway bar holding it up.

usElkDZARHShitR5y1Rmgg.jpg

kKYWmL4mQwmlb0cO5QQVDg.jpg

I wasn't intending on getting muddy but the jeep fell through the ice and right into the mud. I tested the water fording first time out unintentionally.

At this point work said I had to go to Cheraw South Carolina from January 2nd to June 28th. I had to pack up everything I could fit into the jeep for the drive from Ohio to South Carolina. I left the girlfriend and family at home and headed down.

Even though I am away from home it is hard to complain about having the top off for 3 days in February.

DMJvfYlFRZehh1qPC0TeCw.jpg

This is what I will consider "phase 1" of my jeep. My plan was not to make any more changes since I wouldn't be able to pack any parts I take off in the jeep for the trip back to Ohio since it is so full to begin with. But really, who honestly can leave their jeep alone.

Next thing was replacing the rubicon rails with some LoD signature series rock sliders. I wanted a little more protection and plus the little thing they call a step on top will help my case for a lift and tires when I tell the girlfriend it has a step for her.

y5QQwqoSTbeidB++97ZNSA.jpg

mmVVX+2ASHuI6UMF4cGjHg.jpg

UTMGqJMsTXe+XjpCeG2WVQ.jpg

I met some people at work and we ended up planning a weekend trip to Uwharrie OHV park an hour north in North Carolina. This place is a blast and I would recommend going if it's a reasonable drive for you. I went with a Toyota 4Runner lifted 3 inches with 285/70/17 ridge grapplers and a 2010 bone stock jku on highway tires. Luckily the 4Runner had a warn winch and I had a tow strap and D rings so we figured we would be alright and we wouldn't be on any trails to hard anyways.

Since I was going on this trip I finally made some big purchases I've wanted to do forever and I ordered the Dirty Life DT-1 9303 wheels in 17x9 -12 offset in the matte gunmetal color. Along with this I wanted a stubby bumper so I wouldn't tear up the factory plastic bumper and have better angles to get on rocks which would help a lot with the size of my jeep. Of course the wheels were back ordered and the bumper took to long to make so I had to go on my trip with the jeep as is.

It was blast getting on the rocks and after watching every Lite Brite and [Banned Site] youtube video's for months I wasn't even phased scraping the sliders and skid plates across the rocks. This trip I disconnected the front sway bar and dropped the tires to 20psi.

fullsizeoutput_5ae.jpeg

We were all new to this and I think this guy spotting me thought I should stay off the rocks. Looking back at this I think maybe if my front right wheel was on the rock to the right I wouldn't have dropped the frame and sliders on the rocks as much going across this. It was a learning experience and we know what to do next time and no damage was done.

2ssg0JLNQkuIlo5NYL46VQ.jpg

+XvC8C4gTlObaX9ZvMMR+Q.jpg

IMG_0975.JPG

It had rained a lot leading up to this trip so I think it may have been more muddy than usual and clean up was a pain getting all the red clay and mud out from under the skid plates but a Sunday afternoon with a friends power washer took care of that.

That trip was on a Saturday and two days later on Monday the bumper showed up. I ordered an LoD signature series shorty bumper with bull bar. I actually liked the looks of the destroyer bumper better but I liked that the winch was integrated with this one and that was more important to me. This is what I will consider as the beginning of "phase 2".

This bumper was easy to install for the most part. The fog lights were tricky but if you know someone with small fingers they could get the bolts in with ease. I actually got them in fairy fast considering I was racing the rain.

0wsKGi34R2Kkk2E9bqU30Q.jpg

Following this, the wheels came in on Wednesday.

3VfeH%qaR8yLM1SfTbXfvw.jpg

I am really happy with the way the jeep looks and everything is a functional mod. The wheels have the normal ring installed now but if I tear them up too bad I can switch the wheels over to the beadlock ring. I really want to get some better pictures with the jeep cleaned up and in the sunlight. This is the current state of the jeep. I have ordered a smittybilt x20 10k winch with synthetic line that I am waiting on.

Work has now told me from July 3rd to December 31st I'll have to be working in Puebla Mexico so I am not sure where I'll keep the jeep in Ohio for that time. Since adding the wheels and bumper and I'm keeping the stock parts I'll need to rent a Uhaul trailer to get home.

For my time remaining here in South Carolina I am really itching to get back to Uwharrie on the weekends. Let me know what you think of my Jeep!
Great lookin JL! Is that a removable black ring on the wheels? Like is it easy to remove so one could powder coat the ring by itself or is the ring attached to the wheel? I know dual tek gives you the ability to mount a legit beadlock ring on, but wasnt sure if the beadlock ring mounted on top of the black ring?

Thanks!

OP
OP
Billet_JLU

Billet_JLU

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport s 1999 Cherokee Sport
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Yes the ring is easily removable just unbolt it. The ring that comes on the wheel is plastic on the outside I havenā€™t pulled it off to see if the inside is metal or not. I would think you could spray paint the plastic one. If you get the beadlock ring thatā€™s metal you powder coat that any color you want. Using the beadlock ring it would completely replace the plastic ring that is currently on it.

OP
OP
Billet_JLU

Billet_JLU

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Iā€™m planning to be at Uwharrie North Carolina tomorrow around 10:30 if anyone would like to join in some wheeling :like:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Billet_JLU

Billet_JLU

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Added a @Metalcloak diff skid just in time for some wheeling tomorrow.

Install was easy, it may not have even taken 10 minutes.

+hRNDwLTT2W+PMLhBscyJA.jpg

s7Ak8W9aSHinytz7Y%wGEw.jpg

I also started to reroute my winch wiring and I found a path that I liked a lot better.

I started at the lower left corner of the grill. It's almost like the grill is cut out to run winch wires there.

3f1ajv8sQfKLqleRZjfbrQ.jpg

L9y1UjPaRxKo488LpbcfeA.jpg

Next I pulled the wires up to the top.

uJfKaffhTFKZWPxeE9ohgQ.jpg

Underneath where the airbox bolts to the fender.

I86viCtOR3CCc9BwHeQdEw.jpg

Then out the cutout in the airbox cover.

gpNmMnL5QI2kNztVr5VQwA.jpg

At this point you can run right to the battery. I route the power cable in front of the battery so that when connected to the terminal the red rubber boot still fits in place perfectly.

NtgRF+5cS9Or4GtjARoKOw.jpg

OP
OP
Billet_JLU

Billet_JLU

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Another weekend at Uwharrie. Managed to mangle the y pipe Iā€™ll have a picture of the new and old when it comes in the mail.

3F3B4485-1148-4EE3-8BE6-4EDF11790DF9.jpeg

OP
OP
Billet_JLU

Billet_JLU

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
As for some trail damage after last trip I went to swap out the crushed Y pipe and while installing the new one I thought I had received the wrong part since the right side wasnā€™t even close to lining up. Next I looked at the catalytic converter and noticed that pipe was smashed as well. I pretty much destroyed the connection of the two pipes in that area so I had to order a catalytic converter as well and Iā€™m waiting on that.

7A70020B-75C1-4641-9090-8BC9CE7F7B02.jpeg

As you can see the original isnā€™t even close to where itā€™s supposed to be.

259B238E-7B65-4C36-9F3C-8EC2864072F3.jpeg

What really surprised me was then I went to remove the original Y pipe the flange bolts were finger loose I didnā€™t even need a wrench.

2A54E527-3820-4741-AB36-F08726F9FD6A.jpeg

If I had only gotten 35ā€™s already instead of getting the 33ā€™s I wouldā€™ve made it over this rock. I needed just the smallest amount more of clearance. You can see the top of the rock just caught the corner of the pipe and I got hung up both trying to go forward and backward and just mangled the pipe. If I had an oil pan skid that covered the oil pan and the Y pipe I wouldā€™ve been perfectly fine too.

Other updates, rubicon fenders have been installed as well as a cherry red @AlienSunshade 2 piece sunshade. Iā€™ll have to get some pictures posted of the new mods.

OP
OP
Billet_JLU

Billet_JLU

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Got back from vacation and swapped the new cat and y pipe on and the Jeep is so much smoother now. I knew the kink and bends made it a little bogged down but it feels nice like stick again.

The pipe coming off the catalytic converter should be pretty close to straight.

FD9A4B73-9B80-4E6A-A5F9-4E7470B4BB50.jpeg

5256185A-1F71-4FB7-B6DE-328E4A73D21F.jpeg

The only reason the pipe didnā€™t buckle more was because it was resting on the transmission. This is a good excuse for a lift and bigger tires :clap:

Sponsored

Az-jewel

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aquajeepgirl.com
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
SAHM
Dude! Iā€™m loving your build thread!
I just got an ā€˜18 JLU Sport S too, and am starting the modification process. Whee!

I like your wheels...tell me about the offset? Iā€™m getting 0 offset on mine (Raceline Clutch) as I was told it would be a much better choice. But there are so many nice looking wheels out there that have big positive and negative offsets. Iā€™m all for stability and ride quality and hope thatā€™s what I get :).

Iā€™m also getting 35ā€™s, Nittos-ridge grapplers. I went back and forth on the KO2ā€™s, but the most recent reviews of the Nittos sounds like theyā€™ll be quieter.

I bought a Mopar 2ā€ lift through the dealer and will have that installed after my wheels and tires are on, so theyā€™ll recalibrate for me :).

Considering I just bought it last night, Iā€™m off to a good start!

Following along with your build is fun! Iā€™ll be bookmarking your page too! Thanks!

OP
OP
Billet_JLU

Billet_JLU

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Dude! Iā€™m loving your build thread!
I just got an ā€˜18 JLU Sport S too, and am starting the modification process. Whee!

I like your wheels...tell me about the offset? Iā€™m getting 0 offset on mine (Raceline Clutch) as I was told it would be a much better choice. But there are so many nice looking wheels out there that have big positive and negative offsets. Iā€™m all for stability and ride quality and hope thatā€™s what I get :).

Iā€™m also getting 35ā€™s, Nittos-ridge grapplers. I went back and forth on the KO2ā€™s, but the most recent reviews of the Nittos sounds like theyā€™ll be quieter.

I bought a Mopar 2ā€ lift through the dealer and will have that installed after my wheels and tires are on, so theyā€™ll recalibrate for me :).

Considering I just bought it last night, Iā€™m off to a good start!

Following along with your build is fun! Iā€™ll be bookmarking your page too! Thanks!
@Az-jewel

Hey thank you Iā€™m glad you like the Jeep!

As far as the wheels go they are the dirty life DT-1 wheels in 17x9 -12 offset. The 0 vs -12 offset will only be roughly a half inch difference with -12 sticking out wider if they are the same width. Itā€™s all about a balance between not to wide and not to skinny so when youā€™re articulated the tires tuck in the fenders. The back spacing of the wheel may be more useful than the offset depending on the width. Mopar lift and the ridge grapplers will set you up for a nice start!

OP
OP
Billet_JLU

Billet_JLU

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I havenā€™t updated the build in a while. I just worked in Mexico for 6 months and I didnā€™t have the opportunity to come home a single time till Christmas. Iā€™m finally back and the build thread can continue. While I was away of course I had to search out some deals on some parts. Got the tires installed today, I choose the milestar patagonia 37x12.50r17. More updates to come soon!

6F1F7B4C-156A-487D-865B-24192E7D9F33.jpeg