Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
When I first hit Apps/Off-Road pages on my Uconnect screen, the Off-Road pages take their sweet time loading up. When the pages finally load up, the indicators show nothing for a few seconds before they display elevation, coordinates, roll, pitch, etc.

If I turn off the engine for a few minutes, the Off-Road Pages completely disappear from the Apps menu. The icon is simply gone. Sometimes it returns; sometimes it doesn’t.

The readings on the Off-Road Pages also go blank for a few seconds when I drive under a thick canopy.

What’s the deal?

Anyone else having these issues?
Sponsored

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
When I first hit Apps/Off-Road pages on my Uconnect screen, the Off-Road pages take their sweet time loading up. When the pages finally load up, the indicators show nothing for a few seconds before they display elevation, coordinates, roll, pitch, etc.

If I turn off the engine for a few minutes, the Off-Road Pages completely disappear from the Apps menu. The icon is simply gone. Sometimes it returns; sometimes it doesn’t.

The readings on the Off-Road Pages also go blank for a few seconds when I drive under a thick canopy.

What’s the deal?

Mine would not show the lat -long -gps or elev on a new 2020. Had the unit replaced with new one update and guess what, same problem. So far looks like FCA either does not know or want to fix the problem. Or they could be working on something to fix the unit, some kind of up grade. However, communication with their customers is non existent. Welcome to the world of FCA.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

What’s the deal?

Mine will disappear briefly when turning off the engine. They don’t appear again for a few minutes. The radio is notoriously slow to boot and load features, such as navigation and the off road pages. I suspect the RAM in these is horridly limited, so it swaps out/unloads apps not immediately in use.

I am hoping the new Android based systems are better, and they stop using such limited hardware. That won’t help us, though.

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
So it sounds like that’s just the way it is, then: crummy but normal.

Reminds me when I had a 2016 Dodge Challenger: there was a problem with the Performance Pages as well; they would not work for some people. One day an OTA “update” made them go away completely. There was such a customer uproar that FCA had to scramble to fix it.

There doesn’t seem to be a similar uproar from Jeep owners, though.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
So it sounds like that’s just the way it is, then: crummy but normal.

Reminds me when I had a 2016 Dodge Challenger: there was a problem with the Performance Pages as well; they would not work for some people. One day an OTA “update” made them go away completely. There was such a customer uproar that FCA had to scramble to fix it.

There doesn’t seem to be a similar uproar from Jeep owners, though.
Folks have been bitching about ORP since the JL launched. There was even a thread about doing a class action lawsuit because of it. I think most folks who still have issues have just given up since Jeep failed miserably at getting it launched, making it work right, and getting it to appear on vehicles correctly. It doesn't really add anything to the offroad experience anyway, especially when you can get the pitch and roll indicators in the EVIC.

I don't know why any kind of "Pages" on FCA UConnect products sometimes load and sometimes don't, though. My '18 Challenger would sometimes fail to load Performance Pages, too, and I don't know what conditions are necessary for it to work. I just chock it up to the software being horribly written.

Sponsored

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I see.

I like the elevation reading. The trails here have a lot of change in elevation.

There is an elevation reading buried deep in the "Where am I?" pages of the GPS. I can always use that one instead. It just takes a bunch more clicks to get there, and doesn’t look nearly as pretty.

But at least it is more reliable than the Off-Road Pages.

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimted Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Mine would not show the lat -long -gps or elev on a new 2020. Had the unit replaced with new one update and guess what, same problem. So far looks like FCA either does not know or want to fix the problem. Or they could be working on something to fix the unit, some kind of up grade. However, communication with their customers is non existent. Welcome to the world of FCA.

I have the same issue with ORP not displaying Lat-Long-GPS. You're in Florida? Me too... if you get to an elevation of more than 100' it will display. Drop below 100' it disappears!

PghJeeper88

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Anyone have issues with the pitch and roll just showing dashes?

Sponsored

Luekutus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler jL Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Explorer, Adventurer, Armchair Biologist, and (Former) Software Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
This is such a tiny thing, but after my local dealer refused to re-flash my radio today to try to fix my off-road gauges because it wasn’t “a factory radio" (I bought an 8.4” from infotainment.com to replace my 7” because Jeep wouldn’t sell 8.4 inches after purchase), I’m seriously thinking about going with a different car manufacturer next time.

First they surprised me by not including the gauges with the 7” radio, then they surprised me by not selling me an 8.4” radio directly, and now they surprised me a third time by refusing to “flash” the unit — I was even willing to pay them the $150 whether it worked not.

The whole experience with this tiny little issue has left a bad taste in my mouth.

Last edited:

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimted Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
This is such a tiny thing, but after my local dealer refused to re-flash my radio today to try to fix my off-road gauges because it wasn’t “a factory radio" (I bought an 8.4” from infotainment.com to replace my 7” because Jeep wouldn’t sell 8.4 inches after purchase), I’m seriously thinking about going with a different car manufacturer next time.

First they surprised me by not including the gauges with the 7” radio, then they surprised me by not selling me an 8.4” radio directly, and now they surprised me a third time by refusing to “flash” the unit — I was even willing to pay them the $150 whether it worked not.

The whole experience with this tiny little issue has left a bad taste in my mouth.
I too upgraded from a 7" to 8.4". I purchased mine from Allmoparparts.com. I enabled the ORP with my Tazer. I had two small issues. 1. the back up camera lines sometimes disappear. If the Jeep sits for an hour they come back. 2. ORP would not display the GPS coordinates (at the bottom of the display) it would show -- where the GPS coordinates should be, HOWEVER if I got to an elevation of 90' above sea level they would show! I live in FL so rarely do I see 90' elevations.

My dealer also told me there was no way to add the sales code. Funny how they now offer the Sport and Sport S with the 8.4 from the factory! What could possibly be different in the newer year models that the dealer could not add the sales code if we are willing to pay?

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
Sell the Jeep and get a prius, you'll be happier.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Off Road pages started to not load, multiple attempts over a couple days. Swung by the dealer and they “ fooled” with it for a few then told me to make an appointment. Made the appointment and it started working. “Can Not Duplicate” I can see it coming! ( then quit working again)😖

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU

You need a Secure Gateway Bypass installed for the ORP to work correctly if upgrading to the 8.4" radio. The Tazer JL will serve as an SGW if left installed. I use a $30 ECRI SGW Bypass module on mine and it serves the purpose.

Without the SGW you will only get 2 of the 5 (or 4) gauges to work. Don't ask me why this is, but it is.
Sponsored