Is this something to worry about?

Snowjeep

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Honda Ridgeline
Personally I would take my Jeep to some high end body shops. Ask them to document their professional opinion as to how they interpret the damage you have (factory defect or not), make sure they get you a quote for repair, then contact your local FCA Rep and request they meet you at the dealership to discuss the issue. Having the above information on hand when you meet up will show you're not only serious about this but you're prepared.

Good luck.
Sponsored

OP
OP

AaronEckler

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sahara
Is the factory shipping a wheel lock lug nut on the spare?

Jeep’s website lists “spare wheel locking lug nut” as standard feature. If there is a locking lug nut on the spare, make sure you have the socket key.

For $150, that would be the mopar locking lug nut set of 5. Actually they retail for only $50. Part # 82215711. The dealer would either hand you the package or install all 5 locking lugs on the Jeep.

Obviously they are not installed according to your picture. Might they be stored in the vehicle somewhere?

559C06BC-748A-4B6B-B96E-475F268725A8.jpeg
Haven’t found them anywhere, but I haven’t finished exploring. Wife called re. the imperfection and dealership seemed willing to take responsibility. Apologized, said the shipping tape likely covered it and accepted that due to their delays getting paperwork done, it was dark when we finally got to the vehicle. Did a 400km drive today in northern Ontario (there was snow) and tried taking freedom panels off when it got sunny... was a bit too cold though. Thanks for all the feedback.

Kevman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara Granite Crystal, Audi A5
If it was any other vehicle, then I'd be pretty pissed and have the dealer try to fix it. It's a jeep though and is going to get banged up one way or another. Just look at it as street, or perhaps off road cred for the Jeep.

Check the storage compartment in the back to see if the nuts are there.

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
That clearly looks like a factory paint issue on top of the ding. I would think any reasonable service writer would be able to handle that.

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
Here’s my issue: on close inspection (in my driveway) I noticed this ding that appears to have occurred at the factory (as it was finished over). I’m worried it could create a vulnerability to corrosion. I’m sure the vehicle will get plenty of dings over the years, but it’s a new vehicle I just paid over $50k for (and was a month later than promised), so I’m wondering if I should have it addressed or ignore it. The dealership has been a huge pain to deal with, btw, and I don’t trust them at all, so I’m a bit loath to go back (I did send them the picture and they ignored my email).
Poor quality control by FCA. I promised myself that I'd only buy a floor model or even a mild demonstrator so I can see and feel what I'm getting. Let the dealerships put their capital down to bring them in.

Go to a different dealership if they're not any good. Speak to JeepCares also.

Sponsored

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
It's a jeep though and is going to get banged up one way or another. Just look at it as street, or perhaps off road cred for the Jeep.
No. We were forgiving of Jeeps when they were not commonly usable as everyday vehicles. These new Jeeps (JK and JL) aren't like that.

Do you think if the OP wants to resell the vehicle the buyer will pay more for off-road cred?

RubiZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Haven’t found them anywhere, but I haven’t finished exploring. Wife called re. the imperfection and dealership seemed willing to take responsibility. Apologized, said the shipping tape likely covered it and accepted that due to their delays getting paperwork done, it was dark when we finally got to the vehicle. Did a 400km drive today in northern Ontario (there was snow) and tried taking freedom panels off when it got sunny... was a bit too cold though. Thanks for all the feedback.
Mind sharing the dealer where you got it from?

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
The dealership has been a huge pain to deal with, btw, and I don’t trust them at all, so I’m a bit loath to go back (I did send them the picture and they ignored my email). Also, a wheel lock charge ($150) showed up on my bill when I picked the vehicle up (not on my original purchase agreement, but final price was almost the same)
As the $ 150. was not on your original purchase agreement , and they didn't deliver them anyway , I'd get the $ 150. cash refunded for the overpriced wheel locks , which you didn't receive anyway .

Personally , I wouldn't trust the dealer to fix your paint ding . Why give your new Jeep to them ? They might screw it up , no ?

RubiZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
As the $ 150. was not on your original purchase agreement , and they didn't deliver them anyway , I'd get the $ 150. cash refunded for the overpriced wheel locks , which you didn't receive anyway .

Personally , I wouldn't trust the dealer to fix your paint ding . Why give your new Jeep to them ? They might screw it up , no ?
Totally agree!

OP
OP

AaronEckler

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sahara
Mind sharing the dealer where you got it from?
I’ve contacted JeepCares and will give dealership a chance to respond. The wheel lock charge showing up on new deal sheet (wasn’t on old one) with the extra $150, but total price adjusted down $140 was a little weird. Not finding them anywhere is a mystery... another question for dealership. Depending on how this goes I’ll share dealership info, but want to give them a shot first, if that makes sense.

Sponsored

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Oh how I feel your pain trust me...fight em' till they fix or you can just deal. Last thing I wanted was some :asshat: to disassemble my brand new rubicon! Trust me I feel your pain msrp=58,700
20180816_111734.jpg
20180816_111656.jpg
20180816_111600.jpg
20180816_111622.jpg
20180816_111539.jpg

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Does your spare have a locking lug nut? If so, do you have the key for that?

OP
OP

AaronEckler

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sahara
Oh how I feel your pain trust me...fight em' till they fix or you can just deal. Last thing I wanted was some :asshat: to disassemble my brand new rubicon! Trust me I feel your pain msrp=58,700
20180816_111734.jpg
20180816_111656.jpg
20180816_111600.jpg
20180816_111622.jpg
20180816_111539.jpg
Wow! Those pics are unbelievable. Sorry. Not sure how that gets out the door.

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Wow! Those pics are unbelievable. Sorry. Not sure how that gets out the door.
Also had issues with dented fender(being replaced) and plastic parts that weren't fully installed correctly. Nevermind hassle of dealing with dealership...one guy told me " it's a jeep guy, there not supposed to be perfect". Almost ended up in jail that day.
Sponsored