Is this something to worry about?

AaronEckler

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sahara
Just picked up my JL Sahara in billet metallic, I know not the most popular colour but it was my first choice and I (and my 6 yr old) love it. Had a Liberty a decade ago, but this is my first Wrangler. Today’s my first long drive, but so far I’m loving the vehicle. Steering is pretty loose at 12:00 but not a huge bother yet. Here’s my issue: on close inspection (in my driveway) I noticed this ding that appears to have occurred at the factory (as it was finished over). I’m worried it could create a vulnerability to corrosion. I’m sure the vehicle will get plenty of dings over the years, but it’s a new vehicle I just paid over $50k for (and was a month later than promised), so I’m wondering if I should have it addressed or ignore it. The dealership has been a huge pain to deal with, btw, and I don’t trust them at all, so I’m a bit loath to go back (I did send them the picture and they ignored my email). Also, a wheel lock charge ($150) showed up on my bill when I picked the vehicle up (not on my original purchase agreement, but final price was almost the same)... didn’t see/notice anything different on wheel nuts or receive anything (I assume I’m not looking in the right place). Thanks!
0B85A88A-92A7-43EA-B96E-64CFB8ADEAFB.jpeg
5559B0EF-58F9-423E-BACA-D7DA2EF081D8.jpeg
91D06FFE-C119-4AF1-BA08-3C8D6AEDF9C0.jpeg
Sponsored

CypressWrangler

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JLU
One of the reasons you inspect at the dealership and then inspect again while at the dealership. Take is back and see what they say when you go to pick up your wheel locks that are not on there.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Yeah that sucks. I assume you will be tough to get the dealer to pony up as you drove it off and who’s to say you didn’t get that from driving. My wife has an eagle eye so while I am getting the instructions to operate, she scans the entire vehicle.

Problem is that is not a quick $150 pointless dent removal. I bet to fix that it is $800-$1000 because of the spot it is in.

Good luck with whatever you do. Oh and nice rig, enjoy.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I don't think corrosion will be a issue because it looks to be sealed.

I am assuming the damage is the driver side rear panel at the crease? To me it looks obviously like a factory defect. It looks like there is a huge dust speck embedded under the clear on top of the ding? I think FCA will offer to fix it. Do you really want that? Do you want them to take apart, remove trim, rear light, etc to repaint? Problem is the damage is in a tough spot. There is going to be a lot painting for that defect even though it's tiny. The entire damaged panel, door and probably fender will probably have to be color blended and clear coated. That's a lot of paint for a small dent. That means more possibilities for overspray and clear coat texture mismatch. Find the best shop in your area who has a solid reputation for being able to do near-undetectible repairs if you decide you want to go that route.

I am very particular, Personally I would not want paintwork on a new car if at all possible. Try getting money. See if FCA would pay you for the cost of repair at a shop you choose. I would also see if you can recover additional diminished value. Maybe that totaled amount would get you enough cash to make up for the difference if you were to trade it in without doing any work? See if your dealer will work with you.

Sponsored

silversgrfx

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Occupation
Graphic Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Since it does appear to be a defect from factory like some decent size particle got trapped under the paint and maybe from looks is a small indentation. The sealing from the paint should prevent any corrosion. Give it a year of normal driving and you'll probably have a few paint chips from rocks being thrown up by your own tires or other vehicles.

Some dealerships suck. But if live in a area with more than one Jeep dealership then give them a try as your primary service.

I have used a paintless body repair service a couple times. It's amazing the dents and damage they can repair and a lower cost than a body shop. You can google to see if there is anyone in your area that offers this type of service. You can buy the factory paint for your color in pen and spray can. They may be able to buff down the imperfection and then apply the factory paint and clear coat to fix.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Is the factory shipping a wheel lock lug nut on the spare?

Jeep’s website lists “spare wheel locking lug nut” as standard feature. If there is a locking lug nut on the spare, make sure you have the socket key.

For $150, that would be the mopar locking lug nut set of 5. Actually they retail for only $50. Part # 82215711. The dealer would either hand you the package or install all 5 locking lugs on the Jeep.

Obviously they are not installed according to your picture. Might they be stored in the vehicle somewhere?

559C06BC-748A-4B6B-B96E-475F268725A8.jpeg

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
As noted, there’s the hopeful answer, then there’s the realistic answer.

Hopeful- good dealership agrees that you paid 50k and wants to make it right.

Realistic- they claim that there is no way they had anything to do with it and you argue until you give up and go somewhere else to do your service/purchasing.

I think a vote would prove option b (right or wrong) is the final answer.

Bingy

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
In my state, if you are under 1500 miles, it is still considered a new vehicle. I had a paint issue I saw prior to 1500 and took the Jeep back. The dealer gave me a new one. You can try that or go with some of the other suggestions.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
In my state, if you are under 1500 miles, it is still considered a new vehicle. I had a paint issue I saw prior to 1500 and took the Jeep back. The dealer gave me a new one. You can try that or go with some of the other suggestions.
Wow, that’s better than Walmart’s return policy! :)

Sponsored

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
One lug nut on each wheel will have a rounded shoulder and in center of that nut will be a "squiggly" pattern, female. Your vehicle should have in side glove box or center box an adapter with that same pattern but male that has to be used by anyone wanting to remove your wheels...your wheel locks! Perhaps that is what the dealer is wanting you to pick up? I have those wheel locks on my Sahara and can find no charge for that, figured standard from factory??

Good luck with ding, I'd sure "glitch" to the dealer about it though! As above may be more bother than worth to have it fixed but it is new from the factory! To bad not seen when delivered, maybe the salesman stood in front ofit so not seen...hmmm would they do that? BYA!!

Go Jeep!!!

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Looks like OP is not in the US. He is in Canada, the Greater Toronto Area. Maybe the laws in Ontario will favor him.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
IMO, either have the Jeep replaced or don't fix it. They will need to repaint more than just that little area. I had something similar in that the paint was actually so lightly painted on a 9" x 9" bottom portion of my fender that you could see the primer through the black paint.
I talked with the service manager (solid guy, no BS) and he confirmed what I was already thinking... don't have this repainted. It's only noticeable if you stare right at it. He admitted it's crappy paint quality for the robot to do that but once that gets repainted it will never completely match. The good news is if you do choose this route they don't need to report it to CarFax or note it in your history. If that is the way you go make sure they don't report it.

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
I'd personally find a new dealer. Explain to them that you just bought it and noticed the defect when you got home. Let them know that you would really prefer not to deal with the dealer you bought it from because they have been unhelpful. Let them know you just want to get it addressed and begin a relationship with a dealer you trust.

Also, reach out to Jeep Cares. They should assist you in getting it addressed. Dings and blemishes are going to come...however, you putting them on the Jeep is one thing....coming from the factory with them, nah...
Sponsored