Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
It’s actually a no cost upgrade now on my 22 order. IIRC it was like $2500 when I bought my 19.
Yeah, well. There’s now a $500 credit on the 2.0T, and the automatic now costs less with the 4 banger, so in the end the V6 eTorque still costs extra.

Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against eTorque. Everyone who has it swears by it. But FCA keeps playing with the numbers to make eTorque more palatable.

FCA needs to stop playing games with, do some consumer research, determine the price that gets them the volume they want, do the pertinent marketing and move on. None of it is rocket science.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Fargo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited edition

FCA needs to stop playing games with, do some consumer research, determine the price that gets them the volume they want, do the pertinent marketing and move on. None of it is rocket science.
I think the problem is no one really wants it. If you could get a Jeep with NO ESS, or NO eTorque or with either option, how many people would pay money for eTorque? What benefit does it offer? Smoother startups don't count because a Jeep with NO ESS or eTorque will never shutdown. So that issue is already avoided. So what does eTorque gain you over a traditional Pentastar with NO ESS, that you would pay addition money for?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I think the problem is no one really wants it. If you could get a Jeep with NO ESS, or NO eTorque or with either option, how many people would pay money for eTorque? What benefit does it offer? Smoother startups don't count because a Jeep with NO ESS or eTorque will never shutdown. So that issue is already avoided. So what does eTorque gain you over a traditional Pentastar with NO ESS, that you would pay addition money for?
That’s precisely my point: no one wants eTorque because no one knows what it does.

Every day automakers introduce all sorts of innovations; many a lot more complex than eTorque. But they also tell us why we should buy them.

When it comes to eTorque, FCA never did, and still doesn’t. Instead, it keeps playing with the price hoping to get more people to bite.

OP
OP

Fargo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s precisely my point: no one wants eTorque because no one knows what it does.

Every day automakers introduce all sorts of innovations; many a lot more complex than eTorque. But they also tell us why we should buy them.

When it comes to eTorque, FCA never did, and still doesn’t. Instead, it keeps playing with the price hoping to get more people to bite.
So how would you sell it if you were FCA? What does it do that I would want it on my Jeep? I see no need for it.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
So how would you sell it if you were FCA? What does it do that I would want it on my Jeep? I see no need for it.
That’s up to FCA to figure out. They are the ones who developed eTorque. Presumably, they had a set of benefits in mind when they set out to develop the new technology.

There are specific steps automakers take before introducing a new feature: consumer research, pricing analyses, ad testing, etc. But eTorque’s poor market positioning, FCA’s inability to articulate any benefits, and its nonstop fiddling with the pricing, suggest that it didn’t do its homework before bringing eTorque to market.

Here we are, going into JL’s fifth model year, and FCA still hasn’t figured it out. They are winging it as they go.

FCA does many things very well. Marketing ain’t one of them.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Yeah, well. There’s now a $500 credit on the 2.0T, and the automatic now costs less with the 4 banger, so in the end the V6 eTorque still costs extra.

Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against eTorque. Everyone who has it swears by it. But FCA keeps playing with the numbers to make eTorque more palatable.

Should have clarified, was referencing Ram 5.7. Reinforcing your reference to their ET rollout.

OP
OP

Fargo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s up to FCA to figure out. They are the ones who developed eTorque. Presumably, they had a set of benefits in mind when they set out to develop the new technology.

As far as I know, the only point of eTorque is to get marginally better gas milage and to appease the 'green' crowd with a mild hybrid. I don't think eTorque accomplishes either goal.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
As far as I know, the only point of eTorque is to get marginally better gas milage and to appease the 'green' crowd with a mild hybrid. I don't think eTorque accomplishes either goal.
I think it’s really just a better ESS. Of course more expensive.

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
so FCA has to put in these start/stop systems to meet mileage numbers for their fleet. So getting a jeep without a start/stop system is not an option. Given the ESS vs eTorque, I’ll take eTorque all day.

Having owned both, the ESS systems in the JLs are garbage IMO and are only covered 3yrs/36k mile warranty. Since the eTorque is a mild hybrid system, it’s covered by a federally mandated 8yr / 80k mile warranty.

if I still had a jeep with ESS, the only way I’d keep it outside of warranty is by replacing it with a true dual battery setup.

turbosix

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
since the eTorque is a mild hybrid system, it’s covered by a federally mandated 8yr / 80k mile warranty.
The only helpful post in this entire thread...

In addition, as part of the Basic Limited Warranty, the Federal Emission Warranty covers the following parts of the Jeep eTorque system for 7 years/70,000 miles, whichever comes first.

• EGR Cooler — 2.0L and 3.6L engines
  • Fuel Tank Assembly — 2.0L and 3.6L engines
  • Transmission Control Module — 2.0L and 3.6L engines
  • Turbocharger — 2.0L engine
Further, as part of the Basic Limited Warranty, the Federal Emission Warranty covers the following parts of the Jeep eTorque system for eight years/80,000 miles, whichever comes first.

• Belt Driven Hybrid Starter Generator — 2.0L and 3.6L engines with BSG (If Equipped)
  • Catalytic Converter — 2.0L and 3.6L engines
  • Powertrain Control Module — 2.0L and 3.6L engines
  • Power Pack Unit — 48 Volts 2.0L and 3.6L engines with BSG (If Equipped)

Sponsored

turbosix

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Man you're a genius. How long have you been a powertrain engineer?

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
Normally I would prefer a simple Jeep with no more electronics than the OBDII. But since those days appear to be coming to an end, I'm trying to decided if I can stomach the complexity of the eTorque. Or do I need to stick with used Jeeps to keep things simpler. In trying to find a way to justify the existence of eTorque, I had a thought. Since the goverment seems intent on transitioning us to electric vehicles, I started wondering if there is any way to justify the added complexity of the eTorque system if it had the capabilty to be converted to a hybird system in the future. So here is what I was thinking:

With all the hype around electric vehicles and everyone being so optimistic that some miracle battery is just around the corner, could the eTorque be converted to an electric hybrid in the future? Since the eTorque already has an electric motor that is integrated into the driveline, could that motor be used to power the Jeep in similar fashion to the 4xe if the battery technology improved enough? How different is the electric motor in the 4xe vs the eTorque? If battery technology had that big breakthrough that everyone is depending on, how hard would it be to do a computer flash and use the eTorque system to power the Jeep for short distances? Or at least provide enough supplemental power to utilize regenerative bracking and extend the range by a noticeable amount.
Sounds like you should lease vs buying so you can comply more easily to the wishes of the ruling elites with less out of pocket loss when the miracle battery arrives in the next few years. Or you could stand with the vast majority of truck owners and reject the nonsense of the elites that already look down on you for even wanting to owning a serious 4x4 truck with big tires.

I am being sarcastic so don’t loss your shirt.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
That is really interesting. I didn't know that. So your saying the 4xe has the BSG from the eTorque as well as its own electic motor? That really seems like over redundancy.

As much as I dislike all the tech of the 4xe, I have considered purchasing one just because the $7500 tax credit makes it a pretty good deal. Let me share some observations on that. The other day I saw a use 4xe for sale with only a few thousand miles on it. It seemed odd to me that someone would trade in such a new vehicle. I didn't give it a whole lot of though until I was visiting my brother in another state last weekend and I saw the same thing. Another 4xe for sale with under 5000 miles on it. Either people really hate these things or people are purchasing 4xe's, taking the tax credit, then selling them on the used market for full price. I'm guessing its the later. I have also considered buying a 4xe for the tax credit, then trading it off for a Rubicon. Even after paying the sales tax twice, I think I could still come out ahead. But its a risk and a lot of hassle.
It’s also illegal