Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Another member says it is so what’s the difference, I have used Apple maps solely but not opposed to trying another map but if it’s not as good I won’t bother so looking to hear what the differences are.
Sponsored

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLR; 1972 Chevy Malibu; DHC-7 & BeechCraft King-Air (operated, not owned)
Another member says it is so what’s the difference, I have used Apple maps solely but not opposed to trying another map but if it’s not as good I won’t bother so looking to hear what the differences are.
Part of the power of mapping software is the number of users as the app “learns” from its users. Google maps has an order of magnitude more users than apple maps.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
If you want traffic, Google is best. So many people use Android and most have their settings such that if you stop in traffic Google knows about it.

if you don't care for traffic, then TomTom, Navman and Garmin are head and shoulders the best GPS devices.

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLR; 1972 Chevy Malibu; DHC-7 & BeechCraft King-Air (operated, not owned)
if you don't care for traffic, then TomTom, Navman and Garmin are head and shoulders the best GPS devices.
I haven't used a stand-alone GPS in ages. In my mind one of the chief advantages of using smartphone based GPS (irrespective of the obvious live traffic) is the ability to instantly correct for changes to the actual infrastructure. I really started using Google maps when El Paso was going through a huge growth spurt. They were building new roads and neighborhoods like crazy. Google maps would update for the changes within days while my stand-alone GPS would be confused and give bad info. Then, the GPS manufacturer had the gall to charge for updated maps that would be outdated almost as soon as you downloaded them.

I've got some issues with Google (and the tech industry in general) for privacy concerns, but I'm convinced that Google maps may be one of the best "free" products/services of all time.

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Still annoying that when I'm charging my phone (so carplay activated) BUT I am NOT listening to music through my phone, so say I'm on SiriusXM and I get a text on my phone, the uconnect goes to my phone therefore I am no longer listening to SiriusXM!

No - I want to keep listening to SiriusXM, thanks!

Anyone else having this issue? or solely user error on my end? It can be, it happens all the time :giggle:
This does not happen to me. I get a toaster notification that a text came in, but it does not switch to CarPlay or interrupt my music.

MyJL

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
Google Maps is working for me via carPlay but when I select the option to also display the speed limit on the map it does not show. On the same roads using the native Nav or even the Apple Maps via CarPlay the speed limit shows fine. Doesn't matter if I'm on a directed route or just in map view mode the speed limit just doesn't show on Google Maps. Is anyone else having this problem?

Edited Update: I searched some Google Maps blogs and apparently the speed limit data is being delivered by region over time. So while the option is there to enable speed limit to be displayed, you won't see any values displayed until you are lucky enough to have your area included. The small town of Atlanta is not included yet apparently.

Last edited:

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That was if you want it to stop bothering you while you're listening to Sirius XM when you get a text msg.
And to further clarify, this does not apply to CarPlay, but may apply to @jhonn236_AZ's post.

karynm8621

First Name
Karyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
I do not believe speed limits are available on IOS from Google maps

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lol. I think you might be the first person in history to have this opinion.
Waze for the win! (Beta works flawlessly for me on CarPlay.)

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm also excited for Waze on CarPlay. I prefer Waze for commuting but Google Maps for longer distances.

jravin

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2004 L J
Occupation
Director of IT
I think it boils down to personal preference. I would go ahead and try out Google Maps so you can decide which you like better. For me I prefer Apple Maps, for the other poster they prefer Google Maps. Neither of us is right or wrong, so try them both and settle on the one you like best.

Boston Mike

First Name
MIke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLU Rubicon
This does not happen to me. I get a toaster notification that a text came in, but it does not switch to CarPlay or interrupt my music.
It does it to me, but not with messages. If I am using Waze and get the voice turn updates through the USB connection, it will stop Sirius and not go back. I have to manually hit radio to turn it back on. This is irritating
Sponsored