Sponsored

Intermittent Power Steering Failure

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I was considering taking my complaint to https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/. I'm not sure if anything would come of it, but I am just absolutely disgusted with this whole process and afraid that the situation won't be corrected since the cause isn't known and that I'll have this happen in a much less ideal and dangerous driving. I don't know where else to turn so I'm just trying to go anywhere to get attention to this life threatening failure.
YES! Do this for sure. It needs to be reported.
Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
This guy has videos of steering lockup. Caution: explicit language.

Last edited:

bubbalowe

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Renegade
Substandard treatment shouldn't be tolerated and dealers like Diehl need called out.

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
out of curiosity I checked my fuses and relays to make sure they were seated in correctly and almost all of them clicked once I pushed down on them. Not sure if this could be the issue but I will definitely know by tonight

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara in Punk'n Metallic
Occupation
Retired and spending the kid's inheritance
I checked the seating of my fuses when I took delivery. Nine of them were not correctly seated. So, since that has already been done on mine, I know that is not the issue. Interestingly, there is no indication that the dealer service folks checked them, even after the problem arose.

Sponsored

OP
OP

mufin281

First Name
Amanda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
out of curiosity I checked my fuses and relays to make sure they were seated in correctly and almost all of them clicked once I pushed down on them. Not sure if this could be the issue but I will definitely know by tonight
Well I haven't had my brand new jeep for two weeks now so there is unfortunately no way for me to check that right now. The Butler Diehl dealership has had my vehicle for 2 weeks without having made any progress at all and VERY limited updates even.

OP
OP

mufin281

First Name
Amanda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
After 2 empty contacts from @JeepCares where they lied and said I would be contacted by my "case manager", I have still not been contacted by Jeep AND Diehl Automotive STILL has my brand new 2019 Rubicon. I had the vehicle for four weeks and the dealer has had it for over two now, with no hope in sight. I am paying $55k for this vehicle that I had in my possession for four weeks. The power steering pump and gear box have both been replaced and the power steering continues to fail more consistently than intermittently apparently (not that I would know as I haven't driven it for over two weeks). I've now driven a 2016 Chrysler 200, a 2017 JK Sport and now have a 2017 Jeep Renegade yet I pay a monthly payment for a 2019 Rubicon that sits on a lot. Jeep and Diehl have equally made the decision to buy a 2019 a miserable FAIL.

OP
OP

mufin281

First Name
Amanda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
After the dealership had my car for 14 days (I only owned it for 29 days), had replaced the power steering pump and the steering gear box, both resolved nothing as I expected, they finally found the issue. A bolt on the plate covering the 48 volt system was loose!!! A tech in CA found the resolution after working on multiple jeeps with the same symptoms. They literally took the bolt off, cleaned it up and screwed it back on. The loose connection caused a short out making the power steering fail. This whole event has been mind boggling really. One only driven it for one day but I trust it is resolved....all because one robot on the production line didnt tighten the screw enough!!!

Joaozao

First Name
Joao
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
After the dealership had my car for 14 days (I only owned it for 29 days), had replaced the power steering pump and the steering gear box, both resolved nothing as I expected, they finally found the issue. A bolt on the plate covering the 48 volt system was loose!!! A tech in CA found the resolution after working on multiple jeeps with the same symptoms. They literally took the bolt off, cleaned it up and screwed it back on. The loose connection caused a short out making the power steering fail. This whole event has been mind boggling really. One only driven it for one day but I trust it is resolved....all because one robot on the production line didnt tighten the screw enough!!!
Do you know where exactly the bolt is located?

@JeepCares sucks ass big time. Their case manager pretty much just laughed at me when I told her $35 wasn't enough to cover a rental car.

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
I checked my fuses I had numerous that weren't seated properly !

Sponsored

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
This happened to my wife two nights ago. Steering got stiff as she tried to swerve to go around a suddenly braking car. She gave it more muscle then suddenly it came back and it caused her to over correct and spin into the oncoming lanes. Luckily there was no traffic or it would have been fatal. She came home, threw the keys on the table and said she would never drive it again.

vlade31

First Name
Yasir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
This happened to my wife two nights ago. Steering got stiff as she tried to swerve to go around a suddenly braking car. She gave it more muscle then suddenly it came back and it caused her to over correct and spin into the oncoming lanes. Luckily there was no traffic or it would have been fatal. She came home, threw the keys on the table and said she would never drive it again.
Can’t believe this is still happening! Someone needs to take this to the local news and shame Jeep in the public, maybe they will do something then..

OP
OP

mufin281

First Name
Amanda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
Do you know where exactly the bolt is located?

@JeepCares sucks ass big time. Their case manager pretty much just laughed at me when I told her $35 wasn't enough to cover a rental car.
After reaching out to them multiple times, multiple ways for weeks, I finally got a return call from Jeep, AFTER my Jeep was fixed and returned (how convenient). There was no intention to do anything aside from call me as a part of their internal process. It was actually insulting. I do not know which bolt exactly was the cause, but this image from [Banned Site] points the general location out quite well.
20171213115801-395a7e20.jpg

Fiat Chrysler just announced a recall of 180,000 Dodge Ram pickup trucks for THIS issue; https://www.freep.com/story/money/c.../fiat-chrysler-recall-ram-pickups/2701527002/. I surely hope the Jeep gets this attention as well. This was a terrible exerience thus far.

OP
OP

mufin281

First Name
Amanda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
I understand what your wife went through...it was pretty terrifying. The overcompensation in the turn when the power steering kicks ON in mid turn, when you are pushing in full force due to no power steering could absolutely kill someone. Chrysler Fiat announced JUST announced a recall on 180,000 Dodge Rams with the same 48 volt hybrid configuration! Have your service tech read up on that recall and I am sure the solution to your jeep will be there.......all it is is a loose bolt on the plate covering the 48 volt battery! After WEEKS of the dealer having my brand new jeep, it merely needed a bolt tighten! I have been driving it for 4 days now with no issue at all.

OP
OP

mufin281

First Name
Amanda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
It was a pretty common issue on the forum a while back. There was a service memo about certain build dates that included mine, but yours is a 19, so that wouldn’t apply unless they have updated it. Mine seems fine now, and although it seems like the same issue, mine doesn’t seem as bad as yours. Good luck.
The issue was a loos bolt on the plate covering the 48 volt battery. After 2 1/2 weeks having my brand new jeep in service, they merely needed to tighten a bolt. Fiat Chryslet just announced a recall on 180,000 Doge Rams for the same issue https://www.freep.com/story/money/c.../fiat-chrysler-recall-ram-pickups/2701527002/.
Sponsored