Sponsored

Interior Design - Let's hear your thoughts!

What features do you look for the most when it comes to the center console?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hey Jeep fam!

We'd love to hear from you & share your feedback. What features do you look for the most when it comes to the center console? Select all that apply and feel free to elaborate in the comments!

Jeep Cares
Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I donā€™t have a problem with the console, itā€™s great as is. Good use of space for storage, any bigger it would be uncomfortable. Any smaller it wouldnā€™t be useful.

Spend a little more R&D on improved quality. More specifically with paint and corrosion between dissimilar metals.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™ve never given much thought to it but I do like the current center console of my JLR. Itā€™s better than the console on my 2006 Wrangler SE, specifically because that jeep had no console at all.

pnut

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392 XR
I vote for more leg room, but still a modest functional console.

I recall when I switched from my late 1990's Chevy Silverado with a 60/40 split bench, to a 2012 Chevy Silverado, all the open-ness and leg room which was there in my old pickup, was gone and occupied by a gigantic console / lower dash. It felt/feels constrictive and minimized the interior space feel.

The JL console is pretty good at size versus function, especially with the 2 layer storage design, I like that.

Bigger = no way. Having a giant console would make the interior feel so much smaller. Same for the height of the shifter deck, please don't make it taller. I remember when minivans started doing this for a purse pocket underneath. Did not like.

My 2 cents.

PS - please add a power port (USB, etc) or at least a hidden ign+ wire at the top of the dash, and at the top of the windshield. For Dash cams, phones etc. Hat having to fish wires and tap into factory harness if it can be avoided. The Aux wires are awesome, loving those. Expand on that.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
It's a good use of space presently.

A scaled down version of my Ram DT console would be awesome, would require dash or column mounted trans, brake, and t-case controls.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Hey Jeep fam!

We'd love to hear from you & share your feedback. What features do you look for the most when it comes to the center console? Select all that apply and feel free to elaborate in the comments!

Jeep Cares
Your #5 says "No preference really", it should say "No change, leave as is". I have a preference to leave it as is. The only suggestion I would have is to make it more secure.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Your #5 says "No preference really", it should say "No change, leave as is". I have a preference to leave it as is. The only suggestion I would have is to make it more secure.
Yep, its great as is. Any bigger and Iā€™m afraid that will only lead to an eventually bigger Jeep... More security would be ideal, as I sometimes lock a gun in the center (when legally not allowed to conceal in a location). Anything aftermarket seems to limit space or block off the use of the second media port when everything is closed up.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I have no issues with the console as it sits at the moment.

If a larger console comes at the expense of less space for the driver and passenger, then I say NO.

I wouldnā€™t want any less room than I have now, and I donā€™t want Wrangler to turn into a fat cow like Bronco, either.

Moooo.....!
Jeep Wrangler JL Interior Design - Let's hear your thoughts! 1630613937182

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Agree that it is nice as-is. My only change would be to increase it *slightly*, with a specific measurement in mind: smartphones.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S21 5G - the smallest of the uber-popular Galaxy S series - and it fits in the top tray, but you can't really plug it in very easily in there. It *barely* fits.

Putting it in the bottom compartment isn't much better - it's like tossing it down a deep well, and again, it's so narrow that the phone doesn't sit conveniently - it only leans against the side precariously. And that's a small phone.

Wireless Android Auto would alleviate this somewhat, but it's still an issue.

Aside from that, I think the current console is perfect. It's big enough to be useful but small enough that it doesn't become a junk trap. And I love that it's not "in the way" - the open space is really important.

KEY ELEMENT:
Following the console up to the dash, the open-ness becomes even MORE important. One thing I loved about my previous vehicle ('07 GMC Sierra) is that my knees never touched the dash or the console (cause I had a split-front, so no console, just the flippy-thing, but still). It's something I despise about most other cars with a console, like my wife's Lexus RX350 - so much "stuff" in between the seats that my knee rests against the side of the console. It's obnoxious and uncomfortable on longer trips.

I'd also like to formally request that you please NOT replace the whole interior with displays and screens. Buttons are good. Knobs are good. Switches are good. Touchscreens are not great in a vehicle.

Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

PS - please add a power port (USB, etc) or at least a hidden ign+ wire at the top of the dash, and at the top of the windshield. For Dash cams, phones etc. Hat having to fish wires and tap into factory harness if it can be avoided. The Aux wires are awesome, loving those. Expand on that.
YES PLEASE. And also a way to have USB ports that are NOT connected to the infotainment. Just purely power. Would be kinda cool if there was a menu setting so I could decide which was which.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
The console in my ā€˜18 Rubicon is almost perfect. It needs somewhere to put a couple of phones (other than inside), and if the storage compartment could somehow be made more secure, it would be perfect.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Agree. I like the console as it is, but thereā€™s no such choice in the poll. So I checked ā€œNo preference.ā€

DarkAardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ, 2021 JLR
I like the center console as it is. I added some aftermarket dividers and trays to add to the usefulness.

Please keep the buttons and knobs on the dash. I hate cars that have touchscreens to control everything. Manufacturers tried that in 2008 and it sucked

The one thing I would change is making the temperature adjustment controls into knobs vs up and down arrow buttons. If I just want hot or cold air, I have to press both buttons repeatedly to make it happen. It would be so nice if I could just twist a dial and change it

I love the suggestion about expanding the aux buttons and adding wires for dash cams. Or just have a factory dash cam option (for both front and rear)?

Add in the option to adjust for tire size in the off road pages. Right now it's either go to a dealer or buy a third party tool for the same cost

Maybe figure out a better place to put smart phones? Not sure how. A better slot by the cup holders? Idk. Add wireless charging to that slot? Not sure. The current weird slot between the cup holders works, but isn't ideal, especially if you have a mug with a handle in it or two big cups. And it results in awkward charging cables poking up and around the cups and getting caught on the shifter
Sponsored