How to self jump

Jaym

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I know there are a ton of posts on specific threads that describe all the nitty gritty details about jump starting. I get that the relay to crank is powered via the aux battery and the main battery is the cranking battery. So, if you need to jump start your JL on your solo camp trip because your fridge drained it or whatever accessory, or/and the aux battery is drained or bad, then you might need a big donor vehicle to jump the whole system...at least I think that’s the consensus, right ?

But....
If I use an n1 to n2 jumper and a portable battery jumper rated for 6 liter engines on the large battery—will it start if the aux battery is bad?
Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I'm glad you understand the basics (of the 3.6L JL) of the batteries.

The engine crank is actually done by both batteries, ESS/Aux and main. This is why you could disconnect the main battery on a working 3.6L JL and still get your rig to crank if the ESS/Aux battery has the power--which when working well and fully charged it will.

The jumpering of N1 and N2 merely makes the two batteries in parallel 100% of the time, as opposed to the 99.9% of the time they are in parallel barring this jumpering, but for 1) ESS events, and an 2) instant during cold engine cranks and 3) post ESS event engine cranks. In the latter two situations, the ESS/Aux battery is, as you've alluded to that you understand, solely on its own to signal the starter relay to crank the engine, first reconnecting the two batteries in parallel before actually effecting the crank.

The short answer to your question is IMHO "unlikely." If you use an n1 to n2 jumper and a portable battery jumper rated for 6 liter engines on the large battery, it will unlikely start if the aux battery is bad. The reason I feel this way is because your charger is providing current to both batteries: which is exactly what it would be doing if your jumpering weren't in place. I say this because please recall or realize that those two batteries are connected in parallel anyway when the rig is at rest.

But you're on the right track. What you need is to be able to hook your portable charger up directly to the ESS/Aux battery, and disconnect that battery temporarily from the main battery, effectively isolating the ESS/Aux battery to receive 100% of your power pack's charge; not share that charge with the main battery.

THAT action has a chance of yielding you your desired outcome and should require little to no wait time--in fact I'd recommend little wait time, to try and succeed at engine crank. I suggest little wait time because your power pack is probably rated more for deep cycle short duration/large power current needs than as a battery charger, the latter depleting energy for the former. As soon as you hook the power pack to the ESS/Aux battery in isolation, those two power sources are one and the same.

Once the engine is cranked, the main battery can be reconnected, the alternator now serving function to charge both batteries. I'd probably turn ESS/Aux off for a while and drive the rig enough to charge both batteries: assuming they're not defective--although ESS/Aux is unlikely to kick in until the ESS/Aux battery accumulates greater charge--which the alternator and the main battery will provide.

I will try to find the post here that @Jebiruph wrote on how to tap the ESS/Aux battery in isolation.

As an aside, and by analogy, on a conventional one battery ICE (internal combustion engine) vehicle, the tow truck can hook up its cables (in parallel) and have the owner of the dead vehicle attempt a crank with little wait time. The two batteries are connected in parallel and act as one, and the two truck need not let its engine run to charge the dead battery and the one being depleted under the tow truck's hood. This waiting period may be wise if the donor vehcile is not from a large battery rig, allowing the donor vehicle's running engine/alternator to provide power to both the donor and dead battery.

But the notion in the JL Owner's manual alluded to that the waiting period for attempting a crank is somehow related to building back the charge in the donor vehcile's battery is wrong, or at least not the whole (and most relevant) truth when simply hooking up to the main battery's leads. That waiting period is far more about charging the ESS/Aux battery (and the main one too, even if it doesn't need it, because the two batteries in the 3.6L are in parallel) as that ESS/Aux battery (as you realize) will be momentarily isolated by your rig from the main and donor battery when the crank is attempted.

In short and summary, hook up your power pack to the ESS/Aux battery's leads (you don't have to dig the battery out) and isolate that battery from the main one for the duration of the engine crank attempt.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
More information can be found here:
https://www.wikihow.com/Jump

How to Jump
Author Info
Updated: May 30, 2019 | References

Even if you've been jumping since you were a kid, you need to learn the proper technique. Landing improperly can wreck your knees and eventually put you out of commission. You can learn the basics of jumping vertically and jumping horizontally, as well as some good tips for improving your hops. If you're interested in more specifics types of jumping, you can then read up on how to hurdle, increase your vertical jump or even jump onto a wall.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
More information can be found here:
https://www.wikihow.com/Jump

How to Jump
Author Info
Updated: May 30, 2019 | References

Even if you've been jumping since you were a kid, you need to learn the proper technique. Landing improperly can wreck your knees and eventually put you out of commission. You can learn the basics of jumping vertically and jumping horizontally, as well as some good tips for improving your hops. If you're interested in more specifics types of jumping, you can then read up on how to hurdle, increase your vertical jump or even jump onto a wall.

...some of us are looking through the wiring diagrams for a solid answer for the OP https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/resources/wiring-diagrams-for-jeep-jl-wrangler.14/ , some of us teach the OP how to gain altitude by jumping in the air

sigh

Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
OP: If you jumper N1 and N2, the only way your 3.6L isn't going to start is if both batteries are dead.

I'm still trying to find how to connect to the Aux battery directly--probably on the N1 - N8 high order fuses, all while disconnecting the leads to the main battery.

Jerry knows.. @Jebiruph

Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I'd hate to "loose" out on your genius insite
You're right, it's "lose," not "loose," as sure as its insight, not insite…..but this isn't about spelling.

Instead you're pissed you were wrong on the Sunrider position on soft tops and window removal thread

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/sunrider-position-pointless.30957/

and you're out to troll. Please add value here or don't post on this thread. Joking is fine here as far as most of us are concerned once a thread's answer has been secured and we opine on the answer.

Want to be productive? Figure out which of the N1 - N8 high order fuses in the PDC connect to the Aux battery's positive pole.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
You're right, it's "lose," not "loose," as sure as its insight, not insite…..but this isn't about spelling.

Instead you're pissed you were wrong on the Sunrider position on soft tops and window removal thread

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/sunrider-position-pointless.30957/

and you're out to troll. Please add value here or don't post on this thread. Joking is fine here as far as most of us are concerned once a thread's answer has been secured and we opine on the answer.

Want to be productive? Figure out which of the N1 - N8 high order fuses in the PDC connect to the Aux battery's positive pole.
Ronnie, when I posted the how to jump, it was for the entertainment of the forum. It had nothing to do with you, nor was it addressed to you. As a matter of fact, until you quoted me in this thread, I have not replied to you since your meltdown there. Hence the reason I suggested you hit the ignore button. Apparently it's you that has the problem, not me. Good day sir.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Ronnie, when I posted the how to jump, it was for the entertainment of the forum. It had nothing to do with you, nor was it addressed to you. As a matter of fact, until you quoted me in this thread, I have not replied to you since your meltdown there. Hence the reason I suggested you hit the ignore button. Apparently it's you that has the problem, not me. Good day sir.
A meltdown is defined as someone who digs in his heels on a position he claims and is wrong about, as you did on that thread, while it is factually and calmly explained to him (by me) why he is not correct.

Should I provide you with links here that evidence same?

Whether your joke here has nothing to do with that or does, the fact remains that when someone comes with a question here, they want an answer first, not a "joke."

There is certainly a time and a place for jokes after that answer has been secured.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
A meltdown is defined as someone who digs in his heels on a position he claims and is wrong about, as you did on that thread, while it is factually and calmly explained to him (by me) why he is not correct.

Should I provide you with links here that evidence same?

Whether your joke here has nothing to do with that or does, the fact remains that when someone comes with a question here, they want an answer first, not a "joke."

There is certainly a time and a place for jokes after that answer has been secured.
Mr Snowflake, you can do as you like and I will do as I like as well.
e60027a82146f5170d3cec8a9ddfcf60.gif

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I'm not offended @digitalbliss . I might be if it were my question you were sidetracking with "comedy."

Rather, you're just acting like you started hitting the beer a bit earlier than most. Don't. Please.

OP: @Jaym according to the ESS wiring diagram https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/FUSES---BATTERY---ESS.pdf … and you will have to blow this PDF up quite a bit to see, on the left most side of the page it shows that your power pack's positive should connect to N2 on the higher order fuses of the Power Distribution Center (let me know if you need clarification on this).

Make sure you only come into contact with N2, not any neighboring high order fuses.

But before you do, disconnect all leads to your positive post on your main battery, and ground your power pack's negative.

I'd like Jerry @Jebiruph to confirm, but I think this is how you can get your power pack to directly connect to your ESS/Aux battery.

Once you crank, disconnect your power pack and carefully rehook the positive lead to the main battery.

Now @digitalbliss is the time for jokes. My suggestion: make some double entendre of the word "blow" above. Show some meme of someone literally blowing up a PDF file.
Sponsored