Sponsored

How Important is Load Range?

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
Ply rating is the # of plys under the tread, not the sidewall.
Please don't spread misinformation. Ply rating was for older bias ply tires that used cotton plies as part of their construction. Today's tires use better materials and a load range rating.

Here's a quote from TireBuyer.com:

These days, tire ply rating is more commonly expressed as “load range.” The days of cotton layers or plies forming the internal construction of tires are long gone, so the ply rating no longer has a direct connection to a tire’s construction and number of layers. With modern tire engineering and materials it's possible to create greater tire strength and capacity without adding layers.

Here's a quote from Tire Rack:

Today's load range/ply ratings do not count the actual number of body ply layers used to make up the tire's internal structure, but indicate an equivalent strength compared to early bias ply tires. Most radial passenger tires have one or two body plies, and light truck tires, even those with heavy-duty ratings (10-, 12- or 14-ply rated), actually have only two or three fabric plies, or one steel body ply.
Sponsored

Last edited:

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
All I know is my e ply feel like soft rocks on the road and ya they feel damn near I destructible off-road.. but I am going c if I can or atleast d ply next time

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Stt pro are tempting great tire light weight ... if I don’t do the ko2 I would go with a d ply stt pro and feel good about it
Not many STT Pros in D rated, I would rock them in E-rated without hesitation though :)
The Cooper Discoverer MTP has a D-rated 315/70 and those are almost an STT Pro :)

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
Not many STT Pros in D rated, I would rock them in E-rated without hesitation though :)
The Cooper Discoverer MTP has a D-rated 315/70 and those are almost an STT Pro :)
courser mxt by master raft is 69lbs and made by cooper and comes in a d

but the stt pro 37x12.5r17 only come in f ply and that is the size I am going to run

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
Been running E KO's for years on many different Wranglers. Like how tough they are in the boonies. If I was looking for a 300C ride I would not be driving a Rubicon

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

RFR JLR 2.0

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist
I wouldn't run anything less that a D rated tire personally. I have E rated now, mainly because that is what they are rated @ in my size. I have run E on my last vehicles too, however. I already have a pretty healthy cut into one of my sidewalls from a Last Chance Canyon run. I you are running rock obstacles, do not run C rated tires. They are a rougher ride, a D might be perfect. Still sidewall thickness is one of my main focuses.
Got some nice scratches in my wheels from Last Chance Canyon. Also running E rated.
Sponsored