Sponsored

How Important is Load Range?

Knapprd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite Crystal Metallic, 1986 Porsche 944 Turbo, KTM 1290 SAR
How important is the load range rating of the tire? I've got a stock JLUR, and am going to keep it smaller for the time being (in a previous life I gave away wayyy too much drivability on a Cherokee that I lifted/modded/wheeled), but I do want to get a slightly more off road oriented tire, and I like the idea of of getting the KM3 in 285/75 r17 since it would give me an inch or so taller tire, but not any wider/much heavier. The problem is these seem to only come in Load Range E.

Is a 10 ply tire going to ride like crap? Or would the difference compared to the stock C range tire be negligible or potentially negated by running a slightly lower pressure?

And yes I know there are lots of 35in or 315/70 tires out there, but I think the 35 on a stock Rubi doesn't quite look as proportional. So I'd really love to do a more narrow 34" ish tire like listed above.
Sponsored

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
That tire will be very stiff with the relatively light wrangler. You could run int with lower psi but I wouldn’t do it. I’m sure you’ll sacrifice comfort big time. I’m sure there are other options on that size with a C load range.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I’m sure there may be lots of suggestions but I am running 315’s on a 17” wheel on a JLUS at 29-30# and the ride is pretty smooth, mileage runs about 20 mpg on the highway, I honestly don’t rock crawl but do get off in the sand a little bit and have had zero issues, have not ridden in a C or D rated equipped Jeep but was told the ride may be stiff

Five Faces

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GMC Yukon Denali
The Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac has a "D" rated (8-ply) tire in the size you're looking for. It might be a good compromise between the "C" (6-ply) and the "E" (10-ply). They are also relatively light in comparison...54 lbs vs the 62 lb KM2's you're looking at.

Sponsored

Vawildjeep

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 2 1/2” stage 2 Icon lift 37” Nitto Ridge Grapplers on 20” Fuel Beasts.
Occupation
Business owner
Vehicle Showcase
Does Nitto have a d rated 37” tire?

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
All I've ever used has been "E" rated tires from 16/17/18 inch wheels-

I won't use "C" rated tires --sidewalls just to vulnerable and unless you run high air pressure the rides is "mushy"--
After my 3rd flat from tear assing down rocky logging roads my mechanic told me to upgrade my C tires to E. Kept up the high speed runs on rocky roads with the E's and never got another flat. That was 12 years ago. I don't think any of my flats were from sidewalls.

And why would a wheeler car about ride quality?

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
Does Nitto have a d rated 37” tire?
Yes, the Trail Grappler. Wife ran a couple sets of those on her JKUR. Great tire, just heavy.

Vawildjeep

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 2 1/2” stage 2 Icon lift 37” Nitto Ridge Grapplers on 20” Fuel Beasts.
Occupation
Business owner
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, the Trail Grappler. Wife ran a couple sets of those on her JKUR. Great tire, just heavy.

I am between the trail grappler or ridge grappler right now. Was hoping for a good ride quality but still aggressive stance. Wonder which would have the best? Less nubby e rated ridge grappler or d rated trail grappler?

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
So the ko2 is supposed to come out with a c ply 37” I am debating getting the d ply 37” now or waiting for the c ply, what is the realistic ride difference between the two?

Sponsored

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
How important is the load range rating of the tire? I've got a stock JLUR, and am going to keep it smaller for the time being (in a previous life I gave away wayyy too much drivability on a Cherokee that I lifted/modded/wheeled), but I do want to get a slightly more off road oriented tire, and I like the idea of of getting the KM3 in 285/75 r17 since it would give me an inch or so taller tire, but not any wider/much heavier. The problem is these seem to only come in Load Range E.

Is a 10 ply tire going to ride like crap? Or would the difference compared to the stock C range tire be negligible or potentially negated by running a slightly lower pressure?

And yes I know there are lots of 35in or 315/70 tires out there, but I think the 35 on a stock Rubi doesn't quite look as proportional. So I'd really love to do a more narrow 34" ish tire like listed above.
I wouldn't run anything less that a D rated tire personally. I have E rated now, mainly because that is what they are rated @ in my size. I have run E on my last vehicles too, however. I already have a pretty healthy cut into one of my sidewalls from a Last Chance Canyon run. I you are running rock obstacles, do not run C rated tires. They are a rougher ride, a D might be perfect. Still sidewall thickness is one of my main focuses.

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't run anything less that a D rated tire personally. I have E rated now, mainly because that is what they are rated @ in my size. I have run E on my last vehicles too, however. I already have a pretty healthy cut into one of my sidewalls from a Last Chance Canyon run. I you are running rock obstacles, do not run C rated tires. They are a rougher ride, a D might be perfect. Still sidewall thickness is one of my main focuses.
I am running e and regret it very stiff and no flex off-road when aired down

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
I am running e and regret it very stiff and no flex off-road when aired down
That’s because you are running the Nittos. The KM3 is the most recently designed tire on the market. Specifically manufactured to mold itself around obstacles and to provide maximum grip when aired down. Other brands have their sidewall wound differently to provide a vertical stiffness.

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The km3 has looked really tempting the only thing stopping me is the weight I want to go to 36s but like the lower weight of the ko2

I think the km3 37” is a d ply which should be a lot better than my e ridgegrapplers

what size do you run?
Sponsored