Sponsored

How can I disable "Low Fuel" shutoff for auto-start (cold weather group)

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
I'm trying to understand why that would be a thing at all. Other than just wasting gas I mean.
I'm certainly not one to treat the Wrangler as an economy vehicle.

A few months ago, I added my own code which automatically runs the air conditioner (or heater) as needed upon remote start. 100F+ day? I'm going to have the A/C primed. Cold morning? Everything is warm and ready to go. It's convenient and it works out well.

Also acknowledging there are going to be other minor side-uses for a remote start, but that's my own use case.
Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I'm certainly not one to treat the Wrangler as an economy vehicle.

A few months ago, I added my own code which automatically runs the air conditioner (or heater) as needed upon remote start. 100F+ day? I'm going to have the A/C primed. Cold morning? Everything is warm and ready to go. It's convenient and it works out well.

Also acknowledging there are going to be other minor side-uses for a remote start, but that's my own use case.
Ya, I am following your coding developments, it's very interesting.

As for the priming of heater or AC, I just don't get it with the doors off. In saying that, I have run heat with doors and roof off. Lol.

Uncommon Sense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray '22 392XR
I have a '21 JLUR with the Cold Weather Group. The auto-start is so nice on sub-zero days. However, if I'm at 1/8th take or less, the Jeep fires up, then shuts automatically after about 5 seconds due to 'low fuel'. I'm rarely at 1/8th or less, but I don't understand if I have 45 miles of fuel left in the tank, why does Jeep dictate that the engine can't idle for 15 minutes? Does anyone know how to disable this "genius" functionality?
Yes, this is annoying. I have a Grand Cherokee and when it is brutally cold, I like to remote start to warm her up for a few minutes so my kids aren't cold. It won't do it if you are below 1/4 tank I believe. It is annoying. I am in no danger of running out of gas.

Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
There is a laundry list of reasons to not let your tank get low enough for this to happen, which the OP is probably not considering. Remote Start not working is the least of the problems that can result. Running out of gas is also low on the list as that's a very easy fix.

OP, I doubt you'll find a solution for this as it's just a minor side effect of other more significant concerns. Because of those other concerns it's a problem you shouldn't have in the first place.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I have this annoying nanny feature on my Jeep that won’t allow me to drive my lifted rolling brick with a high center of gravity, giant offroad tires, horribly imprecise and unpredictable steering, and intermittent loss of vehicle control due to something called “death wobble”over 100 miles per hour! I know how to drive and should be able to do so as fast as I like on any road! Is there sone way to get my God given given rights as an American restored?

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
As for the priming of heater or AC, I just don't get it with the doors off. In saying that, I have run heat with doors and roof off. Lol.
True enough, the need is weak. When I'm headed out into a parking lot, I like to have the vehicle started as I walk out the door so where I just pop inside and go. But then again, that's what I paid for. I thought.

Given where we are in the season, my own personal need has to do with the convenience of software development. I have to be able to trigger a remote start to exercise the remote start climate code (which I really like where all the settings end at). There's also a bit of convenience to being able to remotely power on the Wrangler's AUX circuits and logging onto it remotely (without leaving a constant power drain active).

I'm not going to be the guy that you'd hold up as a shining example of why remote start should function when you've got tube doors. But I'm certainly going to try to make it happen. Along those lines, I should probably update that thread with just a little more information. After a careful review of JScan's BCM parameters, I can see that there likely is a path to disable the analog door ajar checks. But it'll take experimentation and I'm going to have to work my nerve up to writing configuration changes to the BCM.

Or... do we have contact information for the JScan guy? I'd be willing to show him the locations and values if he'd be willing to make an adaptation.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
True enough, the need is weak. When I'm headed out into a parking lot, I like to have the vehicle started as I walk out the door so where I just pop inside and go. But then again, that's what I paid for. I thought.

Given where we are in the season, my own personal need has to do with the convenience of software development. I have to be able to trigger a remote start to exercise the remote start climate code (which I really like where all the settings end at). There's also a bit of convenience to being able to remotely power on the Wrangler's AUX circuits and logging onto it remotely (without leaving a constant power drain active).

I'm not going to be the guy that you'd hold up as a shining example of why remote start should function when you've got tube doors. But I'm certainly going to try to make it happen. Along those lines, I should probably update that thread with just a little more information. After a careful review of JScan's BCM parameters, I can see that there likely is a path to disable the analog door ajar checks. But it'll take experimentation and I'm going to have to work my nerve up to writing configuration changes to the BCM.

Or... do we have contact information for the JScan guy? I'd be willing to show him the locations and values if he'd be willing to make an adaptation.
He is very active on Facebook. Group called JScan and JScan Lovers. He is in Poland though so expect a time difference and we'll the whole war thing going on right beside him. Lol

OP
OP
Lithics

Lithics

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
To my direct knowledge there is not a way to disable this function.
Thanks for your reply. I thought maybe someone had fun into a solution with the Tazer or something similar.
Meh to the ribbing...those without an answer are entitled to their blather. 🤷‍♂️

Sponsored

OP
OP
Lithics

Lithics

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
I'm currently in the middle of a related fight (remote start with doors not present) and making progress. Believe it or not, your case is probably going to be harder to work around because we don't entirely know how/where the BCM stores it's checklist for remote start. I wouldn't hold out for this happening.
Thank you for your informed reply, appreciated.

OP
OP
Lithics

Lithics

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
Yes, this is annoying. I have a Grand Cherokee and when it is brutally cold, I like to remote start to warm her up for a few minutes so my kids aren't cold. It won't do it if you are below 1/4 tank I believe. It is annoying. I am in no danger of running out of gas.
Now that you say it, I think it's a 1/4 tank for the Jeep JL also. There is zero risk of me running out of gas idling for a few minutes, so the cutoff is just an inconvenience...I brush the snow off, fire it up, then head back in to finish my coffee. ☕😂👍

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Pull the fuel pump and float assembly out and baling wire the float up all the way. I guarootee you it will bypass this annoying feature.
Sponsored