Sponsored

Cold Weather Group Explained

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
Ok, I have no clue about the engine block heater. I searched the manual in the UConnect system, and nothing. Of course I know the other features in the group, heated seats, steering wheel.... But about this engine block heater? Is it automatic? Is there anything to do to turn it on? I have no clue.....
Sponsored

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Ok, I have no clue about the engine block heater. I searched the manual in the UConnect system, and nothing. Of course I know the other features in the group, heated seats, steering wheel.... But about this engine block heater? Is it automatic? Is there anything to do to turn it on? I have no clue.....
I think it is just a cord that you have to plug in.

brantb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ram 1500, charger daytona 392
there should be a standard 110v plug

bam1111

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
The engine block heater cord is found under the hood bundled in front of the battery tray.

OP
OP
Dynomite1371

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
Thanks guys I haven't had much time with the hood up yet. Now I know what to look for. Why no info in the manual, (at least the way I was searching for it). Tempature recommendations/ when to use?

Sponsored

bam1111

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Check out page 299 in the manual posted on this site. Don’t know if I saw a temperature at which to use the heater, but it did say to give it an hour to warm up the block. I used one when I was a kid living in Iowa. That one would heat up your antifreeze and through convection, warmed up your engine. I hope these have improved over the past 40 years! LOL

ResponsibleAdult

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, Rubicon, Mojito
Thanks guys I haven't had much time with the hood up yet. Now I know what to look for. Why no info in the manual, (at least the way I was searching for it). Tempature recommendations/ when to use?
Does anyone know if there is a dash readout when it is in use? I can’t tell you the number of times I have put it in reverse, while still plugged into the house...

(Another reason I can’t be trusted with a Tesla, I guess...)

When using mine in Northern Ontario, I learned that if it’s -40 (that’s the same in both C and F), and you drive a manual, you’d better leave it in neutral. Block heaters don’t warm your transmission, and I thought my leg was going to fall off before I could get it shifted.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I'm kind of surprised, given your Mid Atlantic home, that your ordered or feel you have use for it.

At rest ambulances/fire trucks/cars in Minnesota---sure.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I'm kind of surprised, given your Mid Atlantic home, that your ordered or feel you have use for it.

It comes with the Cold Weather Group - Basically if you want heated seats you get the engine block heater.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dynomite1371

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Police Officer

It was a dealer order, that I placed my name on. So it was already ordered. But I got to have my my hested seats and steering wheel!! It was single digits here in Maryland last week!

rcr1340

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon(LJ)
Occupation
retail manager
I like the block heater because the heat in the vehicle works alot faster. I live in Florida and use it sometimes. It was 23 degrees yesterday morning and helped alot. It's also better for your engine not too start so cold.

Devsfan3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Page 296 of the second edition owner's manual says:

Extreme Cold Weather (Below –22°F Or −30°C)

To ensure reliable starting at these temperatures, use of an externally powered electric engine block heater (available from your authorized dealer) is recommended.
Sponsored